Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Aaron Brooks
Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 29, 2024

I recently started submitting articles to Amateur Wrestling News; here is an excerpt from one of them.

"A recent On the Mat series produced by BTN focused on Aaron Brooks. Aaron is an excellent person, teammate, and competitor. Part of the introduction was Casey Cunningham saying that everyone that comes into the room gets their butt kicked. Either you're going to keep getting your butt kicked or you’re going to get good.” Also, after sustaining a loss during his freshman season, Coach Cunningham said to him, "If you master a base line defense, you’re a national champion.” What coach Cunningham was talking about was an addition to his existing game. Aaron had parts to his game that were championship level but was still in need of a missing part. Once the lacking part gets put into place, then he has a complete game which will likely result in a National Championship. What is not being said and applicable to everyone in the sport of wrestling is that there are parts of your game that need to be improved, refined or added. Some wrestlers get caught in a perpetual loop in which they don’t have a coach diagnosing the problem and offering the remedy. Current behaviors become habits. Once established, habits are damned to be erased or modified. Habits that aren't efficient, useful and productive are worthless and negatively impact your development. Aaron was in the handful of wrestlers ready to compete for an NCAA title right away, but still had a significant area of his wrestling to add and improve upon. That he was able to do it in short order gives insight as to how quick skill acquisition can occur if done with proper direct intervention."

Here are the videos that are referenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNe5rEIw38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m77pTiy544

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE3lp1AkWF8

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 29, 2024

Excellent. Hopefully when you become famous, you'll remember your early readers.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 29, 2024

Thank you for reminding me that Bob asked me to write something!
I just finished it and sent it to him.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 1, 2024

Not a comment on the substance of this excerpt at all, because it's a great point about development.

But Brooks did do a greyshirt in 2019--effectively a redshirt, with their setup. And he had peak Zahid Valencia in his weight class in 2020 before the tournament got canceled (unlikely he would've won). So it was a couple of years before he was ready to win a title.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 3, 2024

Brian, it’s true Valencia was at Brooks’ weight in 2020. But if you recall he was suspended for the postseason for a failed drug test. He wasn’t stopping Brooks from a title.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 3, 2024

Hank-

Being famous is about social media, excess, novelty and quick gratification. I'm good.

Jim-

You are a conscientious well-informed writer.

Brian-

I'll respectfully disagree. You just need to be complete enough. Zahid would most definitely be a favorite, but once you have an attack, a defense, and can't be held on bottom, then you become a threat to everyone. I stand by my earlier assessment of Ryder; that he has enough game. Reminds me of Corey Olsen from Nebraska, finished 3rd as a redshirt freshman thanks to the highflyer. Way before Dylan Ness was a nightmare to his competition. Coincidence, just saw a clip of Anthony Valencia hit a version of a flyer/can opener against the Cuban he was trailing 8-0 for the pin.

Drew-

I can remember seeing the social media pic with the short straw tucked between his ear and head. I'd like to know the whole story. I know of other stories and yes amphetamines and speed improve performance, which is why they are banned, and athletes get suspended.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 4, 2024

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Hank-

Brian-

I'll respectfully disagree. You just need to be complete enough. Zahid would most definitely be a favorite, but once you have an attack, a defense, and can't be held on bottom, then you become a threat to everyone. I stand by my earlier assessment of Ryder; that he has enough game. Reminds me of Corey Olsen from Nebraska, finished 3rd as a redshirt freshman thanks to the highflyer. Way before Dylan Ness was a nightmare to his competition. Coincidence, just saw a clip of Anthony Valencia hit a version of a flyer/can opener against the Cuban he was trailing 8-0 for the pin. "

It's all history and hypothetical of course at this point. I don't think Brooks was ready for somebody like Zahid just yet. His offense is very hard to counter. But regardless as Drew pointed out, Zahid wouldn't have been there in that postseason anyway.

All I was doing was sour-graping. PSU already has everything... don't need to go giving them even more credit now do we :-/

Regarding PSU in general, I'm constantly impressed by their ability to identify talent. Yes--they have the best developmental coaches and program. Yes--they have the most money. Yes--they have the greatest senior level club in the world, bar none. Even vs. Dagestan. But they have an incredible ability to identify the guys that can succeed in their system. Carter Starocci was a blue-chipper--no doubt. But he wasn't the most universally sought after guy in that class. He was for them.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 5, 2024

Kaleb said he is unbelievably strong -- which is saying something coming from him.

► Add to the Discussion