Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame College Closes
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 1, 2024

Wow, bummer.
Article says that approx 70% of the population consisted of student-athletes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/notre-dame-college-closes-after-failed-merger-leaves-no-option/ar-BB1jaKKn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0c0683b2fc814912a23fe42d63e88ba5&ei=18

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 2, 2024

I interviewed the original athletic director when they added wrestling and did a write up for some website. The splash they made was incredible. Frank Romano went out and brought in a cavalcade of Ohio stars and the program immediately won championships. That was about 20 years ago?

Sad ending for the school. I hope the student athletes and employees are able to find good situations.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 2, 2024

Just remembered that Joey Davis was a 4x champ for NDC. How many schools ever have one of those?

His talent was incredible. He would have likely been a champ in any division.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 4, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I interviewed the original athletic director when they added wrestling and did a write up for some website. The splash they made was incredible. Frank Romano went out and brought in a cavalcade of Ohio stars and the program immediately won championships. That was about 20 years ago?

Sad ending for the school. I hope the student athletes and employees are able to find good situations."

I think they launched in 2007, my friend who was high school class of 2006 was their first recruit. The heyday of that program was so fun to watch, the lineups with Straughn, Foore, Pelton, Scales etc., were just loaded for a few years. I think there is concern for many smaller colleges across the country, NDC will not be the last to close up in the coming years.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 4, 2024

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"

"I interviewed the original athletic director when they added wrestling and did a write up for some website. The splash they made was incredible. Frank Romano went out and brought in a cavalcade of Ohio stars and the program immediately won championships. That was about 20 years ago?

Sad ending for the school. I hope the student athletes and employees are able to find good situations."

I think they launched in 2007, my friend who was high school class of 2006 was their first recruit. The heyday of that program was so fun to watch, the lineups with Straughn, Foore, Pelton, Scales etc., were just loaded for a few years. I think there is concern for many smaller colleges across the country, NDC will not be the last to close up in the coming years."

Just curious, but because they were not NCAA Div. I, didn't they have a ton of scholarships they could give vs the 9.5 limit in Div I?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 4, 2024

Some solid throwback names there!

"

I think they launched in 2007, my friend who was high school class of 2006 was their first recruit. The heyday of that program was so fun to watch, the lineups with Straughn, Foore, Pelton, Scales etc., were just loaded for a few years. I think there is concern for many smaller colleges across the country, NDC will not be the last to close up in the coming years."

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 5, 2024

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Some solid throwback names there!

"

"

It makes me nostalgic, that was the time that I was really closely following the sport and doing a little freelance work, and they heyday of this site. We had an internet radio show (basically a podcast before that word existed) for a year. Dan and I had good times. I'm thankful that Hank and all have kept this site alive all these years.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 5, 2024

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Some solid throwback names there!

"

"

It makes me nostalgic, that was the time that I was really closely following the sport and doing a little freelance work, and they heyday of this site. We had an internet radio show (basically a podcast before that word existed) for a year. Dan and I had good times. I'm thankful that Hank and all have kept this site alive all these years.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 5, 2024

It's an extremely challenging environment right now for small private colleges nationally. Lots of folks feeling pain, considering closing, trying to find a sustainable path forward.

Enrollments at many of these places (institutions <2,000 students) tanked during COVID, and they're wholly reliant on tuition dollars to keep the lights on. HEERF money ran out last year, now reality sets in.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 18, 2024

It really is sad. As others have mentioned, NDC was a marvel for a period of time... consistently getting GOOD D1 talent as a NAIA/D2 school, and as a brand new school.

Very unique story arc when you think about the whole lifetime of the program.

► Add to the Discussion