Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks NCAA Champions in a few weeks
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2024

125: No
133: No
141: Yes
149: No
157: no
165: no
174: Yes (if Starocci is out or hurt)
184: Yes
197: No
285: Could be a finalist

So, in my raggedy opinion, three bucks have a shot to win it all with Feldman having finalist potential. Problem is who else can even place? Bouzakis and DD?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

I know folks are down on Nic right now but I definitely think he can AA. He was handling Teske easily until he gassed and even. so just a bit more awareness and he avoids the cradle. He then is probably in the semis and who knows. He barely lost to the big 10 champ just a month ago, It will depend on where he falls in the bracket but imo he can beat just abut anyone.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

I think everyone qualifies except for Hepner. Hepner has zero quality wins. No way he gets in.

Feldman will not be a finalist. I think everyone is way too optimistic on him right now. He is getting better and will be there in a couple years but he’s not beating Kerkvliet, Hendrickson, or Bastida . Fourth is probably his ceiling. He’s probably in the next group between 4-8 which are all toss up type matches.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Quote from Mike Stann's post:

"I know folks are down on Nic right now but I definitely think he can AA. He was handling Teske easily until he gassed and even. so just a bit more awareness and he avoids the cradle. He then is probably in the semis and who knows. He barely lost to the big 10 champ just a month ago, It will depend on where he falls in the bracket but imo he can beat just abut anyone."

Looking for Nic to come back strong in 2 weeks. A lot of his issues are mental lapses, hope he gets that straightened out.

Really bummed with Hepners performance all weekend. I think this is the last we see him as a Buckeye starter. Paddy to bump up next year or if Kharchla comes back can he make the cut? Bucks have options.

Would like to see them be active in the portal for a 125. Not sold on Vinny K and we know what we have with McCrone, who has really grown on me this season.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Well, I'll amend my original post. I'd love to see:
Champ--Mendez
AA--Welsh, Rogotzke and Feldman
In the hunt: DD and Bouzakis
Surprise me: Wilcox, Geog
Hope they get bids: McCrone, Hepner

Gallagher might be a bit small for 165 but I'm hoping he's fully healthy and back.

Sasso would be a dream but he's lucky to be alive and I have no idea if he'll ever be able to wrestle again.

If Kharchla comes back, does he start? Do you redshirt Welsh? And if you do, does he get pulled if Kharchla gets injured?

I think we'll see Shumate battle Geog at 197. And Kilkeary is probably more than 50% likely to step in at 125.

More questions--Does Davino start 133? Nicky 3posts is right about his potential. Do you move up Bouzakis and redshirt Mendez? How about Brandon Cannon? Where does he fit?

Hank here is my best guess at the lineup

125- kilkeary Beat the big ten champ and deserves a chance after a redshirt. If the results aren't there Lilledahl/ Davis/ Desmond Penn State should be in the portal. All very good at 125

133-Bouzakis is wrestling for his spot at Ncaas. If Bouzakis can make a good run you let Davino redshirt. If he has another bad tourney the spot will go to Davino.

141- Mendes isn't redshirting and you never redshirt a guy who will be a legitimate favorite. He wants to wrestle also

149- sasso. i do believe he makes a comeback and it is here. Tom and Sammy both have said the plan is to wrestle. he is wrestling and practcing and was at around 60 percent Tom claimed last month. he lost weight and muscle so this is where he would end up. Sammy at 80 percent is better than D'emilio. he is working tirelessly to get his one leg back to normal.

157-paddy...hopefully surgery helps him. I believe he can one day all American at least

165-transfer portal- staff claimed he was a top ten guy bc of wins over Carson and amine. Staff now can say they were wrong and move on. He has no quality wins and a 13-7 record. Potential portal candidate would be a guy like Peyton Hall former all American from West Virginia. can't see us getting any of the other top guys. I would like a moved made for him who is a one year rental to develop Birden

174-carson. Probably needed surgery long before. If healthy he can beat guys like Lewis and Otoole. He was a monster for first two years. Have to give the senior one last shot. If not healthy Rocco can step in.

184-ryder. Can't wait to see him year two. A few adjustments and he can be a legitimate title threat. Soldano was already a good start

197-geog. Don't see too many transfer portal options or would say that. Maybe a Jaxon Smith Maryland? Tom had me fooled on his future growth and development. Tom said everything possible that made me believe he would be a future contender. I don't see that. He looks undersized and always tired. He will be a top 20 guy just not a serious All American threat. All American threat should be the standard at Ohio State.

285- Feldman next year will still have Bastida, Kerkvliet who are coming back but then they graduate. Think he closes the gap quite a bit in 12 months. Im guessing 2x champ

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Well, I'll amend my original post. I'd love to see:
Champ--Mendez

Gallagher might be a bit small for 165 but I'm hoping he's fully healthy and back.

Sasso would be a dream but he's lucky to be alive and I have no idea if he'll ever be able to wrestle again.

If Kharchla comes back, does he start? Do you redshirt Welsh? And if you do, does he get pulled if Kharchla gets injured?

I think we'll see Shumate battle Geog at 197. And Kilkeary is probably more than 50% likely to step in at 125.

More questions--Does Davino start 133? Nicky 3posts is right about his potential. Do you move up Bouzakis and redshirt Mendez? How about Brandon Cannon? Where does he fit?"

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Hank here is my best guess at the lineup

125- kilkeary Beat the big ten champ and deserves a chance after a redshirt. If the results aren't there Lilledahl/ Davis/ Desmond Penn State should be in the portal. All very good at 125

133-Bouzakis is wrestling for his spot at Ncaas. If Bouzakis can make a good run you let Davino redshirt. If he has another bad tourney the spot will go to Davino.

141- Mendes isn't redshirting and you never redshirt a guy who will be a legitimate favorite. He wants to wrestle also

149- sasso. i do believe he makes a comeback and it is here. Tom and Sammy both have said the plan is to wrestle. he is wrestling and practcing and was at around 60 percent Tom claimed last month. he lost weight and muscle so this is where he would end up. Sammy at 80 percent is better than D'emilio. he is working tirelessly to get his one leg back to normal.

157-paddy...hopefully surgery helps him. I believe he can one day all American at least

165-transfer portal- staff claimed he was a top ten guy bc of wins over Carson and amine. Staff now can say they were wrong and move on. He has no quality wins and a 13-7 record. Potential portal candidate would be a guy like Peyton Hall former all American from West Virginia. can't see us getting any of the other top guys. I would like a moved made for him who is a one year rental to develop Birden

174-carson. Probably needed surgery long before. If healthy he can beat guys like Lewis and Otoole. He was a monster for first two years. Have to give the senior one last shot. If not healthy Rocco can step in.

184-ryder. Can't wait to see him year two. A few adjustments and he can be a legitimate title threat. Soldano was already a good start

197-geog. Don't see too many transfer portal options or would say that. Maybe a Jaxon Smith Maryland? Tom had me fooled on his future growth and development. Tom said everything possible that made me believe he would be a future contender. I don't see that. He looks undersized and always tired. He will be a top 20 guy just not a serious All American threat. All American threat should be the standard at Ohio State.

285- Feldman next year will still have Bastida, Kerkvliet who are coming back but then they graduate. Think he closes the gap quite a bit in 12 months. Im guessing 2x champ

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Well, I'll amend my original post. I'd love to see:
Champ--Mendez

More questions--Does Davino start 133? Nicky 3posts is right about his potential. Do you move up Bouzakis and redshirt Mendez? How about Brandon Cannon? Where does he fit?"

"

Kerkvliet did not sound like a guy coming back in his post-match interview. If he wins a title this year, I could see him moving on.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Nick, good lineup. Only quibble I have is with Sasso. If he ever wrestles another meaningful college match I’ll be surprised. If he returns to AA form I’ll be stunned. Last we saw him he was struggling to walk.

Please prove me wrong, Sammy.

Big offseasons ahead for St. Eds grads Gallagher, Hepner and Geog.

Mendez finishes his career at 149. Only question is if he makes the move next year or the following.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Bouzakis is a freshman, ranked 10th in the country, has multiple top-10 wins, was the 3rd seed at Big Tens and is wrestling for his spot at Nationals?

Tough crowd.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Bouzakis is a freshman, ranked 10th in the country, has multiple top-10 wins, was the 3rd seed at Big Tens and is wrestling for his spot at Nationals?

Tough crowd."

Excellent post.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

^^^ I agree.

Bouzakis will not be close to 10 seed at nationals. More like 20. He is a freshman sure. Most kids are about to graduate college at 21 years old so the freshman thing goes out the window. He has losses to Angelo rini, Santaniello, Knox, and Farber . Just gave up 25 points in 2 matches to guys who will not all American last weekend. He caught Orine but would be a heavy underdog if they wrestled again. Nagao was also struggling quite a bit when he beat him. Nagao would also be a favorite. Bouzakis finished fourth in a bracket won by a high school sophomore. This isn’t being hard on someone. This is reality. Davino is the best wrestler in the nation coming into his weight and it’s not a debate. These high schoolers are ready more than they ever have been. Bouzakis can make a run at nationals sure. It wouldn’t surprise me. Can he be a multiple time all American? Sure. Can he go 0-2 at nationals? Sure. Is davino already ahead of him? I wouldn’t bet against it. Bouzakis struggled with Andre Gonzales, I can promise you Davino is much better than Andre Gonzales. ( Jax Forrest dominated both Gonzales and Mccrone) Same Jax Forrest Davino beat twice last year.

Believe me I wish we had the best kid in the nation coming in at 125/ 157/ 165/197 but that’s not the case. 133 is not the biggest area of need, but that is where our best recruit will be wrestling.

quote="Ethan Moore"]Bouzakis is a freshman, ranked 10th in the country, has multiple top-10 wins, was the 3rd seed at Big Tens and is wrestling for his spot at Nationals?

Tough crowd.[/quote]

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 11, 2024

"

165-transfer portal-

197-geog. Tom had me fooled on his future growth and development.

"

Lol, this is entertaining stuff. The best has to be that it's Tom's fault you thought Geog would be great.

love the posts though

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 12, 2024

"Bouzakis will not be close to 10 seed at nationals. More like 20. He is a freshman sure. Most kids are about to graduate college at 21 years old so the freshman thing goes out the window. He has losses to Angelo rini, Santaniello, Knox, and Farber . Just gave up 25 points in 2 matches to guys who will not all American last weekend. He caught Orine but would be a heavy underdog if they wrestled again. Nagao was also struggling quite a bit when he beat him. Nagao would also be a favorite. Bouzakis finished fourth in a bracket won by a high school sophomore. This isn’t being hard on someone. This is reality. Davino is the best wrestler in the nation coming into his weight and it’s not a debate. These high schoolers are ready more than they ever have been. Bouzakis can make a run at nationals sure. It wouldn’t surprise me. Can he be a multiple time all American? Sure. Can he go 0-2 at nationals? Sure. Is davino already ahead of him? I wouldn’t bet against it. Bouzakis struggled with Andre Gonzales, I can promise you Davino is much better than Andre Gonzales. ( Jax Forrest dominated both Gonzales and Mccrone) Same Jax Forrest Davino beat twice last year.

Believe me I wish we had the best kid in the nation coming in at 125/ 157/ 165/197 but that’s not the case. 133 is not the biggest area of need, but that is where our best recruit will be wrestling.

quote="Ethan Moore"]Bouzakis is a freshman, ranked 10th in the country, has multiple top-10 wins, was the 3rd seed at Big Tens and is wrestling for his spot at Nationals?

Tough crowd."

[/quote]

My only issue with your assessment of Boozy is you seem to make excuses for his wins. That is odd. Not just one but two. I saw the Nagao match. Legit win.

One could easily make the argument Rogotske had a couple of wins on throws or other moves that shouldn’t work against top level talent. I also think 84 is not very deep this year like it usually is. He is 19-8. Nothing about that screams auto AA. I hope he does well and once in a decade there is that guy who just has a feel for tossing people. His Peterson is a great throwback.

Every moment of his matches are exciting but I am a little more circumspect of his future than I am Nic, who for me passes the eye test talent-wise. If he had the presence to block Teske near the end — or run — he moves on to Round 2. Correctable.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 12, 2024

I will elaborate on that. The way Tom talked about Geog when he got here was that he would be a buckeye great. He talked about the way he trained, carried himself, and lived was the exact same way that all the greats he had ever been around. That to me sounded like a Kollin Moore type with very high expectations. I now see him as a Hoffman type. Will always qualify for nationals but would need to get hot or get a great draw to All American.

quote="Alex Creech"]

"

165-transfer portal-

197-geog. Tom had me fooled on his future growth and development.
Uiu
"

Lol, this is entertaining stuff. The best has to be that it's Tom's fault you thought Geog would be great.

love the posts though[/quote]

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next