Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bracket thoughts
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

My thoughts on the brackets:

125 – McCrone is going 0-2 in my opinion. I can’t see him beating Ramos or Surtin or Poulin.

133 – Bouzakis really hurt himself blowing that lead to Teske. I think he beats Brown, loses to Fix and then beats Cardinal and Serrano to get to the bloodround. He’s going to have Orine (who loses to Vito in the quarters). I see him losing there and falling just short of an AA finish. 2 points.

141 – For Mendez, Lemley in the quarter is dangerous, and Echemendia will be VERY motivated if he makes it to the semis. I see Jesse in the finals, and I think he wins a title. Looking at the bottom of the bracket, Matthews v. Bartlett in the 2nd round is an interesting matchup. 24 points.

149 – DD should get past Zargo, setting up a matchup with Arrington. I think DD will keep it close, but in the end fall short. He probably gets a dangerous Jordan Williams there, and if he wins that, he’ll get Quinn Kinner. I don’t see DD making it through that gauntlet and he falls short this year. 1.5 points.

157 – Wilcox got in and he should get a pigtail win before falling to Haines. I think he takes out Washleski, and upsets Askey as well. I have Blockhus ending his run. 2 points.

165 – Ugh.

174 – Welsh did not get a great draw. Mocco in the 2nd round is tough, and then Ruth of all people in the quarters. If he clears Ruth, I think he’s in the finals. He’s looking at Kemp or Turley in the bloodround if he loses to Ruth again. I think he beats either and AAs. I think he ends up 4th. 14 points.

184 – Ryder could go 1-2, or end up in the finals. I think he beats Heller, loses to Salazar and then beats Dugan. I think that gets him Fishback, whom he lost to earlier this year. I’m going Fishback there. 3.5 points.

197 – Geog loses to Allred and beats Smith. This gets him Little from Little Rock. I think Geog goes on a little run and makes the bloodround, where he loses to Deprez. 1.5 points

285 – What a shit draw for Feldman. Any other quarter, and I think he’s in the semis. I think he techs Kluever, beats Trephan this time and loses to Kerk. The only person I don’t want him to see in the bloodround is Hendrickson, and I don’t see that happening. I think Feldman sees Hendrickson in the consi semis, wins that, and places 3rd, beating Schultz. 15 points.

Overall – I have OSU with 3 AAs, 2 guys losing in the bloodround and 8 guys winning matches. I have OSU at 63.5 points. Last year that would have been 6th, short of 5th by 1 point. OSU got 4th last year with 70.5 points. A team trophy is going to take a huge effort, and probably at least 5 AAs (DD & Ryder).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

Well reasoned, Jason.

Rocco’s draw ain’t bad. In fact, it’s pretty good. Three NCAA champs are in the bracket and all are on the other side. The best wrestler on his side is Edmond Ruth, third best in the Big 10, or Cade Devos. We’ll take it.

Feldman pulls Kerkvliet in the quarterfinals. Had he been seeded a little higher he gets Bastida. That’s not much better. Heavyweight is deep. Feldman will be fine.

These brackets underscore what’s been true all season: Ohio State’s lineup is better positioned for success in duals than in tournaments.

Three AAs with Mendez winning equals a good weekend.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

Mccrone 0-2
Bouzakis r12
Mendes 1st
Demilio 1-2
Wilcox 1-2
Welsh 2nd
Rotogotzke r12
Geog 1-2
Feldman 5th

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

I think this year only top three teams get trophies so very unlikely that Ohio State achieves that. I think placing 10th or higher would be a positive accomplishment. It certainly should be a great learning experience for a young team and hopefully help in future years.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

"184 – Ryder could go 1-2, or end up in the finals." That's funny, but true.

Rogotske wrestles Heller in his first match. In the dual Heller majored him. Heller's specialty is scrambling so it will be interesting to see if Rogotske can avoid getting in positions that work to Heller's strength.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 14, 2024

Bruce, Rogotzke didn’t wrestle in the Pitt dual. It was Hoffman who Heller majored.

Heller is solid but this match is winnable.

Ah yes, you are right. As Emily Litella would say "Never mind"

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 17, 2024

Just imagine if Sammy Sasso wouldn’t have been shot. That adds another 20+ points. This team could have got second which would have surpassed everyone’s expectations. I just pray we get another season from him. Next year I will be disappointed not taking second. In two years we make it at least competitive with Penn state.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 17, 2024

Just a thought about Echemendia. He arrived at Ohio State and there were instantly very high expectations. It was obvious he was talented but not skilled enough as a folkstyler to have an immediate impact. Then he got into some trouble which led to him leaving. At the time, the fans had wanted someone who could instantly challenge for a title and he wasn't yet ready.

Iowa State's coaches have done a very good job of preparing him. If anyone outside of Mendez and Bartlett wins the NCAA title, it will probably be Echemendia.

As for Woods, DD beat him last year but the ref choked on his whistle. That was an obvious 2.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 17, 2024

As you look at the pairings it's difficult not to see how teams that wrestled an easier schedule were rewarded with higher seeds. Kudos to those coaches for developing their guys and understanding how the seeding matrix works; however, I can't help but think that it's no different than what happens every year with northern districts in Ohio versus the rest of the state. Lots of upsets. The Bucks had an inconsistent Big Ten's in my opinion. Lot's of under performances. This team has over performed all year in big duals and at Vegas with one slip up against Pitt. If they are healthy, I think they outperform their seeds. Probably not enough to be in trophy contention, but way better than the predicted 13th I heard on the initial bracket release.

125: McCrone has had a great season in comparison to where he was recruited at. I think he sneaks out at least one win.
133: Which Bousakis do we get? I think Nic is game. A loss in round two is a high probable loss against Fix. I have him making it to the round of 12 where he gets a rematch against Orine in my bracket. He decked him once. I have high hopes considering very few have been as good as Nic on the backside of brackets. He has the pedigree to do it. He is likely the Buckeye with the highest and lowest upside this weekend. Hold on for the ride.
141: Jesse for chip. 2018-Kyle Snyder is the last one. Bucks are due, but I'd be lying if I didn't say Enchemendia is a little concerning, unless we get on top. I think he is the best neutral wrestler in the bracket.
149: Dylan's season this year is not all that dissimilar from last year. IMO his best shot is to duplicate his win earlier this year against Arrington. He wins there he has a shot to AA again. I think the road back through is very tumultuous otherwise.
157: Glad to see Wilcox earned his way in. Should win his opening round bout, but thats likely it in the deepest weight in the country. Anything is possible, and I'm sure he'll be a tough out, but I don't know that he can put up enough points to knock of some of the other competitors.
174: I love Rocco's draw. His gritty wrestling is just the ticket for this tournament. His performance will dictate whether or not this tournament is a success. If he manages to push through for a high placement it could mean the world heading into next year in a weight that loses three former national champions. He'll have to topple Ruth to make it happen, but his path on the backside isn't awful either. His match with Mocco will be make or break. If he loses that he has the Starocci/Lewis loser. Anything other than that is golden.
184: Just sit back and enjoy the ride. The more non Big Ten guys the better.
197: I like Luke to win a couple of matches potentially. I have no delusions of a podium spot this year, in a pretty deep weight, but I do think he out wrestles his seed, if healthy.
285: I have Nick finishing sixth. I would love to see him place higher. Thats with him reversing loses to the NCST and Campbellsville kid. He's very capable, and could certainly do anything.

Realistically I think the AA range is likely to be 3-4. A Mendez national title and freshman AA performances by Welsh and Feldman make you feeling pretty solid about this team moving forward. If Bousakis or Rygotzke can make a push then you feel really solid about the tourney. Less than three leaves you scratching your head a little, IMO

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 17, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
As for Woods, DD beat him last year but the ref choked on his whistle. That was an obvious 2."

That was why I thought Jesse would beat Woods if they met, after seeing DD almost beat Woods last year with that ankle pick no call.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 18, 2024

Flo weight predictions so far for 133-41-74-84.

Bouzakis making a run to R12

Mendez 2nd (They don't have Echemendia placing)

Welsh 4th

Ryder 8th

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2024

One thing that has bothered me about seeding at the NCAA is that the conference champ & runner-up wind up on the same side of the bracket. At 165, O'Toole & Carr are in the top bracket and Mesenbrink & Hamiti are both in the bottom bracket. Why wouldn't you switch Carr with Hamiti so you don't see the guy you just wrestled last week(and probably in the dual) in your semi? It's like they don't want same conference wrestlers to be in the finals. I like how Ohio HS brackets send the 2nd & 3rd place district guys down to the lower side of the championship bracket.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 20, 2024

Hamiti is the 5 and Carr the 4 so they will meet in Qtr.

Messenbrink has an easier path to finals. Must be the PSU affect

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next