Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: David Carr
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 24, 2024

Congrats on a fantastic career! This guy had an exception career in some very tough brackets...

I'm stricken by what a complete wrestler he is. He can consistently escape from truly elite riders quite quickly. He can also ride pretty much anyone for a meaningful amount of time, and is quite skilled on his feet. Has great endurance, focus, can win late.... the guy has it all.

The Carrs have lived in a lot of places, but I'm proud that his high school years were spent in Ohio.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Another thing... I think the Carr/O'Toole rivalry is the best rivalry I've seen in wrestling, since I started following around 2007.

A back-and-forth balanced rivalry, a lot of high level wrestling and adjustments, a lot of action in the matches. And it came at a very real cost to both wrestlers. Without his rival, each would have another NCAA title.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Ben - great post. Carr has been a staple of consistency since stepping on the mat as a HS kid. I was excited when he beat O’Toole and impressed with his finals victory.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Career record was 120-5. For comparison's sake Alan Fried was 129-6. Logan had 3 career losses.

He's in rare company with that type of record and takes his place as one of the all time great preps in Ohio history (hs and college combined).

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

I read that Carr leaves Iowa State with the 5th highest winning percentage in program history, which is an incredible statement given their history.

And FWIW, Carr-O'Toole is my favorite rivalry i've seen in my time following the sport. The number of matchups, the fact that last year went Carr won in the dual, Carr won at Big 12s, O'Toole won at NCAA, then this year was the opposite. They're incredibly high level and wrestled great, entertaining matches every time. I can't say enough good things about both, honestly.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Awesome kid from an awesome family. The kind of kid we all want our kids to be like. Lazer like focus, smart, kind, respectful, and faith driven. So happy for him!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"Awesome kid from an awesome family. The kind of kid we all want our kids to be like. Lazer like focus, smart, kind, respectful, and faith driven. So happy for him!"

Only wish we could have gotten him to Columbus. What his presence in the middle of our lineup would have meant these last 5 years. Esp since 57 has been the gaping hole in our lineup during Ryan's tenure.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

"Awesome kid from an awesome family. The kind of kid we all want our kids to be like. Lazer like focus, smart, kind, respectful, and faith driven. So happy for him!"

Only wish we could have gotten him to Columbus. What his presence in the middle of our lineup would have meant these last 5 years. Esp since 57 has been the gaping hole in our lineup during Ryan's tenure."

We unfortunately botched that by taking Jaden Mattox commitment after he beat Carr. Big mistake

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

"

"

Only wish we could have gotten him to Columbus. What his presence in the middle of our lineup would have meant these last 5 years. Esp since 57 has been the gaping hole in our lineup during Ryan's tenure."

We unfortunately botched that by taking Jaden Mattox commitment after he beat Carr. Big mistake"

I thought Carr went to ISU because his Dad went there and because they hired his Dad as a coach?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

I think Mattox would have been excellent if he had stayed with the program, fwiw. Can't expect Carr level production, but he was excellent in his own right.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"

"

"

We unfortunately botched that by taking Jaden Mattox commitment after he beat Carr. Big mistake"

I thought Carr went to ISU because his Dad went there and because they hired his Dad as a coach?"

Ohio State was his number 1 before Mattox committed. And if I remember correctly Mattox committed the day after beating Carr.

► Add to the Discussion