Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Alright let's Start Talking Next Year's Buckeyes
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Why not jump right into it? And boy do I have questions....

125: McCrones spot to lose? Kilkeary hasn't showed me anything that makes me confident he's an immediate upgrade.
Can Davino make 125? I feel confident that would be an immediate upgrade.....Does TR & Co. look at the transfer portal?

133: Bouzakis even if Davino is at this weight

141: $ Mendez

149: I believe DD comes back, don't think anyone can hate on this, will probably be ranked 8-10ish to start the season.

157: Offseason question #1- Sasso....If Sasso can wrestle, this is his weight, but who knows, health comes first. IF not, Paddy.

165: Hmmmm. If Sasso wrestles does the staff believe Paddy can fll this weight and be a threat? Does Kharchla come back and drop back to his original weight? Does the staff just try to go into the transfer portal? Birden RS.

174: Rocco

184: Ryder

197: I still believe in Geog, but if he doesn't make strides and build muscle next year you have to roll with Shumate

285: Feldman

Overall this team will be better next season. Should be an exciting offseason, I have faith in the coaching staff.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

125 - I disagree about Vinny and think he will be an upgrade over McCrone.

133 - Nic or Davino

141 - Jesse or does he move up and Nic moves to 141

149 - Sounds like if Sammy comes back it will be here. If he does not I would like to see what Cannon has to offer.

157 - Paddy/Transfer - Does Cannon have the frame to be a 57?

165 - Can Carson make 65? Paddy/Transfer

174 - Welsh/Carson

184 - Ryder or does he RS and Welsh moves up

197 - Geog/Shumate/Transfer

285. - Feldman

Bucks have 2nd most pts coming back next year behind PSU

If Bucks can add a few more point scores they should be in position to bring home a team trophy.

25 Vinny
33 Davino
41 Nic
49 Jesse
57 Cannon
65 Paddy
74 Welsh
84 Ryder
97 Geog/Shumate
285. Feldman

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Here is my best possible guess

125-149 is going to be up in the air for months . If davino has any chance to make 125 he will do it. Tom will undoubtedly want davino, bouzakis, and mendes all in the lineup. There are 8 guys for four spots and who knows what will happen.
Sasso if he comes back will be 149. He lost too much weight. I have always thought could Cannon even make 133 or make the jump to 149. Cannon beat Bailey at Ironman just last year who just finished fourth at ncaas. He wrestled Jesse very tough also. 125 could be mccrone, davino, or kilkeary. 133 -149 has cannon, bouzakis, davino, mendes, sasso, demilio.

157-paddy. Paddy beat a couple really good kids this year. Keller from OU who had a great tourney and Ryder Downey. I fully expect an All American from him next year with this loss of some seniors in front of him. As long as he’s healthy.

165- I think hepner 0-4 big ten sealed his fate. If Carson can get here it’s his. If not transfer portal. Carson is a contender at this weight.

174-Rocco welsh- probably battling O toole for a title

184-Rotogotzke- see a big year two jump from him. Few adjustments in his game and he’s an AA

197- transfer portal again. Geog didn’t improve and he was getting beat pretty badly

285- Feldman. Gave kirkvliet his only close match all year. Contender to win

Transfer portal targets
165-hamiti ( some people say he may be available)
-barraclough( can’t make Penn states lineup)
-Peyton hall- no info just may want to go to a better school
197- Cardenas- will be in portal
- Braydon Thompson- one of top overall recruits in nation. Had wins over Welsh, Barr, and Ayeroz in high school. Cut too hard weighing 215 naturally and isn’t the happiest wrestling at a weight he had no business being in. If he’s at right weight has lots of potential.
- Stephen little- great freshman from Little Rock who may go after Nil now

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Three points: 1} McCrone too one-dimensional, Kilkeary showed he could hang with #1 PSU Davis, Vinny should take freshman-to-sophomore step up. 2) Rogotzke does not look like a 184 physically, can he move down to 174 and Rocco go up to 184? 3) Geog ok in neutral, not good on the mat. Give Shumate a shot at 197.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

I wonder if Ohio St goes after Sonny Sasso at 197......

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Here is my best possible guess

125-149 is going to be up in the air for months . If davino has any chance to make 125 he will do it. Tom will undoubtedly want davino, bouzakis, and mendes all in the lineup. There are 8 guys for four spots and who knows what will happen.
Sasso if he comes back will be 149. He lost too much weight. I have always thought could Cannon even make 133 or make the jump to 149. Cannon beat Bailey at Ironman just last year who just finished fourth at ncaas. He wrestled Jesse very tough also. 125 could be mccrone, davino, or kilkeary. 133 -149 has cannon, bouzakis, davino, mendes, sasso, demilio.

157-paddy. Paddy beat a couple really good kids this year. Keller from OU who had a great tourney and Ryder Downey. I fully expect an All American from him next year with this loss of some seniors in front of him. As long as he’s healthy.

165- I think hepner 0-4 big ten sealed his fate. If Carson can get here it’s his. If not transfer portal. Carson is a contender at this weight.

174-Rocco welsh- probably battling O toole for a title

184-Rotogotzke- see a big year two jump from him. Few adjustments in his game and he’s an AA

197- transfer portal again. Geog didn’t improve and he was getting beat pretty badly

285- Feldman. Gave kirkvliet his only close match all year. Contender to win

Transfer portal targets
165-hamiti ( some people say he may be available)
-barraclough( can’t make Penn states lineup)
-Peyton hall- no info just may want to go to a better school
197- Cardenas- will be in portal
- Braydon Thompson- one of top overall recruits in nation. Had wins over Welsh, Barr, and Ayeroz in high school. Cut too hard weighing 215 naturally and isn’t the happiest wrestling at a weight he had no business being in. If he’s at right weight has lots of potential.
- Stephen little- great freshman from Little Rock who may go after Nil now"

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

I'd love, love, love for Sammy to return and he is clearly tough as nails, but a gut shot at close range can make for a hellacious recovery...

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Hamati is likely headed to Ann Arbor, and will likely be the first in several big off season portal moves. I really hope programs like Little Rock and SDSU don’t get raided.
The first question to ask is who is returning. Sasso, Kharchla, D’Emilio, and I’ll add Wilcox to the mix. So much of this is based off of mutual desire to continue. I don’t think Sammy will be physically able to return. I’ve consistently stated that I think Carson will move on. I honestly think Dylan and Isaac come down to money. The question to ask is can a guy like Canon, or the Brecksville kid (Herman) slide into the lineup next year and replace two guys who won 2/3 matches at nationals. There’s a lot of unknown but I think it’s worth a look.
Outside of Davino I’m not sure if any of the freshman are ready to start yet. Birden needs some mass, but has a pretty elite level of speed and technique. His defense is pretty solid too. For my money I think the only locks are Mendez, Welsh, and Feldman. It’s likely that Bouzakis, Rygotske, Gallagher, and Geog are probably high certainties to start again. 125, 149, 165 are total question marks. Recruit wise, we have Neves (Blair-285) #6, Birden (Dublin-165) #5, King (Barnesville-149)?, Davino (Illinois-132)#1 all coming in.
125: Combo starters McCrone/Kilkeary. McCrone made a sizable jump in one year with lots of eye opening wins. I’m most certainly not counting him out.
133: Is the weight too much for Bouzakis to control? It certainly appears to have been his downfall at times. Fix and Vito vacate a pretty wide open weight next year. Tough, but wide open.
141: Jesse
149: D’Emilio has always been a R12 fringe AA guy. Does one of the young guys make the jump and claim the spot? I think most of the AAs return outside of Gomez. I really like Canon for this weight. He has the frame to fill out for this weight. I think he has the goods.
157: Paddy returns. Is it his year? The weight was deep this year. Not sure that will change. If Wilcox is back he could push to start.
165: any chance Kharchla returns and drops back down, unlikely. Hepner did not end the year on a positive note, and did not appear to be all that competitive against top 15 opponents. There was a lot made of one open tournament win and a wrestle off. The reality is that that Bryce is a tough mat wrestler and scrambler but lacks the offense to be a top ten guy, at a brutal weight. Wilcox could start here. If Birden makes some heads turn in the room he could be here as well.
174: Rocco. O’Toole moves up to replace the loss of three former national champs.
184: this is a thin weight, but most of the top guys return. I have to think Rygo makes some big jumps to compete for an AA spot next season.
197: Geog. He’s another one that just got better and better in high school. No reason to think why that can’t translate here.
285: Dies Kerk return? Probably, but I do think Feldman is your preseason #1/2 if not. I think he can win a title next year. Trophy hunting next year for the Bucks. Get healthy and have a great freestyle season

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

I know i said it before but the likelihood of sasso coming back is slim to none. If anyone can, he would be the person to do it.

I'm no expert or doctor but often when officers get these types of injuries they are done working, and they aren't training hard-core 3 hours a day...

I would love Nothing more than to see him back. God knows he deserves a chance. Such a positive attitude...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Tom Ryan may say he eschews the portal but if you're a top squad with a good base and a few holes, it's too tempting to ignore.

Would anyone not be ecstatic if Hamiti were coming to Columbus?

We can talk next year's lineup and speculate like crazy but I'm guessing we are going to see at least one big transfer in the 157-165 area or perhaps 197.

I listened to an interview with Sam Sasso from Feb. 9 and he sounded philosophical about wrestling. On the one hand, he's made enormous progress considering there was a time when he couldn't walk. But one of his legs has nerve damage and Sam doesn't want to compete unless he can come back near his previous skill level. He doesn't see the value in being a "lesser" wrestler. Obviously, it's a fluid situation and physical improvements over the next several months could drastically alter his outlook.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Too much is being made about Tom’s reluctance to hit the portal. Truth is, last year he pursued Messenbrink and maybe another potential transfer. When he didn’t get them, Tom took the public position that he’s all in on his own guys, implying that Penn State, Michigan and Iowa are not.

Like a good leader, Tom’s pretty good at controlling the message.

The staff will keep a close watch on the portal. If they can seriously upgrade at 157-165, they will try. Hamiti is intriguing. He won’t come cheap.

Just a hunch, but I’d bet they stand pat with Geog at 197. He doesn’t have the power to wrestle the style he wants to wrestle. That’s fixable. There’s still a good wrestler in there.

Curious to see who the Buckeyes might lose to the portal. Andre Gonzalez seems like a good bet. He’s a quality wrestler with seemingly no path to the lineup. Also gotta wonder what Seth Shumate is thinking.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Does anyone have a handle on how much money is available to the wrestling program? I still get the feeling that there are only so many big donors at tOSU and that money is going to football.

Penn St, Michigan and Iowa obviously have a lot of dollars to spend. Let's face it when you are regularly recruiting kids who are qualifying for the NCAAs. on a regular basis you are going to have to come off some major cash to improve on that. I just wonder if Ohio State is competitive there.

Also it seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that monies spent now for one or two one-year rentals curtails your ability to recruit your incoming classes. So are you trading one year shot at glory for two to four years of filling a spot in your future line up?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yxc3jmaCSg

Rocco supposedly is 205 now. If true how does he make 174 again?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yxc3jmaCSg

Rocco supposedly is 205 now. If true how does he make 174 again?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

204* Let’s not get carried away.

Tom Ryan was making a joke, that Rocco has gone from 174 to 204. But the truth in that joke is that Rocco’s days at 174 might be over.

That should surprise no one. He’s a load.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"204* Let’s not get carried away.

Tom Ryan was making a joke, that Rocco has gone from 174 to 204. But the truth in that joke is that Rocco’s days at 174 might be over.

That should surprise no one. He’s a load."

If that's the case, Geog in the TP should come as no surprise.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next