Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Rumor on Iowa boards is
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

New AD is going to make a run at David Taylor after Olympic trials and he is open to listening. She is not a fan of Tom at the moment and how he wanted to bring in AJF. She also wants to get back to winning NC.

Sounds like the poster is in the know so curious if this happens.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Wow.

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

iowa has went from always competing for national titles to "hoping" that good things happen. i saw another poster online say that iowa's schtick is no longer really working. they always had the "toughest" guys, but now everyone is tough everywhere. i think it's a fair point. rocco welsh is a great example. he would have been an iowa guy for sure in the past 30-40 years, but he went to Columbus instead. david taylor would be very interesting, but i'm not sure i buy that one. he has a lot invested in the pa area, but then again iowa is a great job. it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Quote from Joe Johnson's post:

"iowa has went from always competing for national titles to "hoping" that good things happen. i saw another poster online say that iowa's schtick is no longer really working. they always had the "toughest" guys, but now everyone is tough everywhere. i think it's a fair point. rocco welsh is a great example. he would have been an iowa guy for sure in the past 30-40 years, but he went to Columbus instead. david taylor would be very interesting, but i'm not sure i buy that one. he has a lot invested in the pa area, but then again iowa is a great job. it will be very interesting to see what happens."

Rumor is Welsh wanted to go to Iowa but they slow played his recruitment and Buckeyes came in hot and heavy.

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"iowa has went from always competing for national titles to "hoping" that good things happen. i saw another poster online say that iowa's schtick is no longer really working. they always had the "toughest" guys, but now everyone is tough everywhere. i think it's a fair point. rocco welsh is a great example. he would have been an iowa guy for sure in the past 30-40 years, but he went to Columbus instead. david taylor would be very interesting, but i'm not sure i buy that one. he has a lot invested in the pa area, but then again iowa is a great job. it will be very interesting to see what happens."

Rumor is Welsh wanted to go to Iowa but they slow played his recruitment and Buckeyes came in hot and heavy.

oh, i did not realize that or i had forgotten. interesting."

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Iowa is probably the second best job in college wrestling. Only reason it’s two is bc Pennsylvania is such a hotbed. Cael couldn’t win at Iowa state. I’m not sure David will be done competing however, but if he is it would be a home run for Iowa. I will gaurentee you Taylor would out recruit Brands. If I had to pick someone to replace Ryan it would be him. Brands rubs a lot of people the wrong way and runs off recruits because of it. He doesn’t care about morals or team chemistry he just thinks about getting the best wrestler. Chittum literally said he is leaving if the Ferraris came. Lmk He’s the only coach that would touch the Ferraris. Easy to get a recruit no one else wants.

If he took over Iowa I could see this happening. I think he picks up Bo Bassett as his first recruit. Bo Bassetts style is exactly the same as David’s. High pace and lots of points put up. I think he bonused everyone this year except one match. I think Bo may be the best recruit since David Taylor. David Taylor was Caels first Penn state recruit and now David Taylor could start a new dynasty starting with Bassett. It’s always easier to coach when you have the $$$$ Iowa has also.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"I think Bo may be the best recruit since David Taylor. "

This is a tangent to off topic, but... Gable Steveson has to be the best recruit coming out of high school ever, right? Guy never lost in high school, competed at all the major tournaments, won numerous Cadet/Junior World titles... starting winning junior world titles when he was still a cadet....

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

i've said this for the past several years. the "iowa style" is so stale, they don't scare anyone anymore, it's all a bunch of hot air. it almost seems like the rest of college wrestling has kept up with the times, but iowa is still stuck in 1989

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

If true, my guess is Taylor would be brought on to assist Brands, not to replace him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

I think Iowa is an excellent program and that their coaches do a very good job. But no one can keep pace with PSU and it's killing the Iowa fan base. Add in some of the desperation moves made by Iowa and you have a situation ripe for rumors.

David Taylor makes a lot of sense for Iowa because he's a departure from the Gable tree. Instead he's a Cael protege and that's the guy who's beating them. Will it happen? Who knows? But Iowa still packs in 10K plus fans per dual and there seems to be plenty of money to throw around. David Taylor strikes me as a guy who might command upper 6 figures or possibly even 7. At least that might be what it takes to get him to Iowa.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"I think Bo may be the best recruit since David Taylor. "

This is a tangent to off topic, but... Gable Steveson has to be the best recruit coming out of high school ever, right? Guy never lost in high school, competed at all the major tournaments, won numerous Cadet/Junior World titles... starting winning junior world titles when he was still a cadet...."

Gable slipped my mind. His career was brief. Still There is a reason Rudis picked him up as a high school freshman. The kid is going to be special. My top five in no order over last 25 years out of high school

1. Taylor
2. Bassett
3. Stieber
4. Steveson
5. Metcalf

That’s the kind of company he’s in. Can’t miss talent I believe

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"If true, my guess is Taylor would be brought on to assist Brands, not to replace him."

No way Taylor and Brands would coexist and no way Taylor would even consider that.

If Taylor takes that job think of who he could have as assistants.

Dake
Nolf

Just to name a few.

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"If true, my guess is Taylor would be brought on to assist Brands, not to replace him."

No way Taylor and Brands would coexist and no way Taylor would even consider that.

If Taylor takes that job think of who he could have as assistants.

Dake
Nolf

Just to name a few."

i agree. taylor is not going to iowa for an assistant job. also, the whole point in this scenario is to change the culture(brands/gable).

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Sounds more like Hawkeye fan fiction than an actual possibility.

That's how plenty of Hawks posters feel.

Taylor runs his very successful club M2 out of State College. He just bought a farm in state college and he and his wife own a few businesses in State College.

A lot of factors that say it wont happen but money does talk.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next