Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Rumor on Iowa boards is
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Add me in to the no way crowd on this, for the reasons that Jim mentions above. Taylor seems set up to stay put for the long run, but that assumes he would be content to be a club coach long term. Does either Casey or Varner leave for other opportunities? The Penn State contingent has long seemed rather loyal, but Casey would obviously be the first choice for any head job in the country, and Varner should be a top candidate for high profile assistant/associate head coach jobs. If one of them moves on, you would have to think Taylor would be the first candidate to fill the spot.

Personally, i would be shocked if we see David leave Happy Valley. He could run a monster club and continue cranking out top talent from central PA for decades to come and presumably make a comfortable living doing so.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Gable slipped my mind. His career was brief. Still There is a reason Rudis picked him up as a high school freshman. The kid is going to be special. My top five in no order over last 25 years out of high school

1. Taylor
2. Bassett
3. Stieber
4. Steveson
5. Metcalf

That’s the kind of company he’s in. Can’t miss talent I believe"

Taylor was an amazing recruit, but certainly not #1 overall over the past 25 years. There wasn't even consensus at the time he was graduating about who was #1 between him and Grajales.

Since his time there've been a number of guys that have been consensus #1's, with equal high school accomplishments and greater international and domestic freestyle achievements.

Stieber, Gable, Mark Hall, Snyder and Pico come to mind immediately.

I agree Bassett is a can't miss, multiple time champion type recruit. But even he might not even be #1 in his own class.

Jax Forrest could've won that 125 bracket if he was in it.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

I said no particular order. I don’t have Taylor number one overall. Jax Forrest has taken some more losses that’s why I don’t think he is as high. Lost to blaze, lilladahl, davino, and he lost in district finals also this year. He will be good but not at Bassetts level.

Taylor beat Logan Stieber and Collin Palmer in high school. Two 4 timers in Ohio.
Metcalf went 228-0

quote="Brian Mathews"]

"Gable slipped my mind. His career was brief. Still There is a reason Rudis picked him up as a high school freshman. The kid is going to be special. My top five in no order over last 25 years out of high school

1. Taylor
2. Bassett
3. Stieber
4. Steveson
5. Metcalf

That’s the kind of company he’s in. Can’t miss talent I believe"

Taylor was an amazing recruit, but certainly not #1 overall over the past 25 years. There wasn't even consensus at the time he was graduating about who was #1 between him and Grajales.

Since his time there've been a number of guys that have been consensus #1's, with equal high school accomplishments and greater international and domestic freestyle achievements.

Stieber, Gable, Mark Hall, Snyder and Pico come to mind immediately.

I agree Bassett is a can't miss, multiple time champion type recruit. But even he might not even be #1 in his own class.

Jax Forrest could've won that 125 bracket if he was in it.[/quote]

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Personally, i would be shocked if we see David leave Happy Valley. He could run a monster club and continue cranking out top talent from central PA for decades to come and presumably make a comfortable living doing so."

Me also -- he has his farm there. They have a juice business in State College. He has an incredible club where he is making bank.

Why leave to coach college where you are always on the clock. He can set his own hrs now to spend as much time with his wife and daughters as he wants.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"I think Bo may be the best recruit since David Taylor. "

This is a tangent to off topic, but... Gable Steveson has to be the best recruit coming out of high school ever, right? Guy never lost in high school, competed at all the major tournaments, won numerous Cadet/Junior World titles... starting winning junior world titles when he was still a cadet...."

yo folks does not anyone remember the pound for pound h.s wrestler of the year who had only been taken down once in his h.s. career which ended after his jr. yr. so he could train with the olympic team.. I think his name was Kyle Snyder

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2