Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Transfer Portal
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I don’t get the ROI for the school or program.

So UM gets a team trophy. Cool. Did it gain revenue? Lead to a recruiting advantage?

This will right size because these NIL deals are backed by boosters. They have to go to the same boosters time and again. Pretty soon the business aspect will be understood.

Football the only sport where renting a player for a large sum could make a meaningful monetary impact."

I'd think their past 3 year history would hinder their recruiting.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 25, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"One year rentals.

Yuck. How I hate what the NIL has brought about."

This is going to get ugly, the portal was to help 2nd and 3rd stringers find a place where they could wrestle and not ride the bench. What a disaster, the trophy will go to the highest bidder. NCAA has to regulate this better, it's getting ridiculous. Mich. had DeAugustino, Gomez, Griffith, Cannon and Davison come in. If Cannon hadn't been injured it would have been half their starters.

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Man, Wisconsin needs a coaching change, imo."

When I think of the world class kids that came out of Wisconsin high schools but went to other universities I think of John and Ben Peterson, Ben and Max Askren, Keegan O'Toole and Mitchell Mesenbrink to name a few...If I was a Badger fan I'd be frustrated.

Although they did manage to get Ohio's Lee Kemp and Jim & Jeff Jordan. Oh well...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I don’t get the ROI for the school or program.

So UM gets a team trophy. Cool. Did it gain revenue? Lead to a recruiting advantage?

This will right size because these NIL deals are backed by boosters. They have to go to the same boosters time and again. Pretty soon the business aspect will be understood.

Football the only sport where renting a player for a large sum could make a meaningful monetary impact."

I agree with this generally but there's an important aspect that I've never fully understood personally: The mindset of boosters. I'm not sure boosters are necessarily concerned with making a monetary impact. College athletics are a money losing proposition in the vast majority of situations, yet boosters boost. Are boosters from UMich, Iowa, Penn State willing to keep shelling out cash at this rate? Probably depends on the mindset and wallet of individual boosters.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

" What a disaster, the trophy will go to the highest bidder. NCAA has to regulate this better, it's getting ridiculous. "

While I do not disagree with the thought, the question becomes how do they put the toothpaste back in the tube? For FAR too many years the NCAA held complete control over student athletes. They blinked when threatened with legal action or the creation of new laws (by Congress and State legislatures) and here we are.
I know that if I was a high profile wrestler who considered schools like Michigan or Iowa, considering the track records, I would be rethinking my possible choice.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

NIL in theory is a great thing in my opinion. It was troubling to see the networks, universities, coaches, local businesses, etc all profit on the backs of these athletes when they made no money.

The issue has become it's not being used to it's original intent. It has become pay to play/recruiting tool vs. athletes earning sponsorship opportunities based on their name, image, and likeness.

That said, if someone offers you 100K to come wrestle for a year in a great room with a great staff, we should all understand it would be hard to say no. As painful as that is.

Does it help these athletes' development/performance? I'd say near-term results would NOT support that. Who improved dramatically in the past couple years because of a transfer to a top program?

The argument could be made that it helps kids LEAVING top programs more. Would Quinn Kinner start at OSU? Unlikely.

He goes to Rider and is an AA.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"

"Man, Wisconsin needs a coaching change, imo."

When I think of the world class kids that came out of Wisconsin high schools but went to other universities I think of John and Ben Peterson, Ben and Max Askren, Keegan O'Toole and Mitchell Mesenbrink to name a few...If I was a Badger fan I'd be frustrated."

Just these last couple of years, Sinclair (Missouri), the Mirasolas (Penn State), Hopke (Minnesota), Mesenbrink (Cal Baptist), and even Mulvaney (Bucknell) have left the state, insane talent they are missing on.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 26, 2024

This may be stating the obvious, but I feel like any kid who enters the portal and immediately goes DNC has been tampered with.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Chase Saldate from MSU is in the portal.

He would be a good get to fill a need at 157. Almost beat Haines this year and in the right room could be really good.

4x National Qualifier
R12

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Taking Saldate to replace Paddy isn’t happening.

Paddy if healthy would have been in the mix to AA. He had a win over AA Keller and split with fifth seed Downey.

Saldate went 0-2 at nationals. Pass.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Taking Saldate to replace Paddy isn’t happening.

Paddy if healthy would have been in the mix to AA. He had a win over AA Keller and split with fifth seed Downey.

Saldate went 0-2 at nationals. Pass."

He is 1-0 vs. Paddy and has some good wins under his built as well. Plus isn't dealing with multiple injuries.

Saldate
25-8 0-2 at NCAA
26-8 3-2 at NCAA
24-10

Paddy
16-5
12-11 2-2 at NCAA
10-1

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

"This may be stating the obvious, but I feel like any kid who enters the portal and immediately goes DNC has been tampered with."

Well so much for the UM rumors...
Hamiti to Okie State.
Entered the portal on Mon, DNC notice by when, Tues?, then commitment on Wed.
Hmmmm…

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12372558-all-american-transfer-dean-hamiti-commits-to-oklahoma-state?utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=card.hamitokstate&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=breakingnews&fbclid=IwAR13Kq8JYK6xiESGLS6aKJwqJfxMlNOmt6X9kzyUT9PLny7zphVZ183eYoU_aem_AWUYlwnt1DvG9siuSyU6UvSNgsSOgI9hswLWq5izhYAuf18n01usm4b0NPMcLbZ0HJ8

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

He absolutely had $ offers before he hit the portal. This is exactly what was talked about leading up to the NCAA. The Little Rock Coach mentioned it in his pre-NCAA presser.

These coaches job of recruiting is never over -- even for kids currently on their own team.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"He absolutely had $ offers before he hit the portal. This is exactly what was talked about leading up to the NCAA. The Little Rock Coach mentioned it in his pre-NCAA presser.

These coaches job of recruiting is never over -- even for kids currently on their own team."

The big difference I see between wrestling and football/bball is there is no 'pot of gold' at the end of the wrestler's career as there can be for the top athletes in those other two sports. The TP is their one chance to get their hands on some cash, which I'm sure they see as a 'just dessert' for all the time and effort they have put into their sport to get where they are.

NIL is/has ruined college sports, though there can be no denying that getting money to athletes has always been a part of the 'game', like it or not.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next