Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Transfer Portal
Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

The NCAA screwed up by waiting too long to do something for the athletes which prompted the government to get involved. Once that happened it was all over, for the NCAA and collegiate sports.

Now there are different rules across the states. The NCAA wants to prohibit the use of NIL for recruiting and they tried enforcing it and immediately got sued by the state government.

Unless all the state\federal governments agree to turn things back over to the NCAA or some other governing body (which will never happen), collegiate sports will never be the same.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Problem with the MSU guys--Saldate and Fish are both in the portal--is that they arrive having spent 4 years training a certain way. Unless you think you can make some tweaks in their game that will get them to the next level, you pretty much know what you're going to get.

That said--either guy would likely help the Buckeyes. Team really needs a solution at 165 for next season.

Saldate impressed me a lot as a frosh but he seems to have plateaued. Looks like he feels the same and wants to try and have one big season. He probably wants a little cash as well.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Rumors Hendrickson might transfer out of AF to use his last year of eligibility.

Missouri is the place if he does.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Rumors Hendrickson might transfer out of AF to use his last year of eligibility.

Missouri is the place if he does."

How does one transfer out of the Air Force Academy? don't you have to make a commitment to serve?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

Yeah... it used to be that you could transfer from a service academy before the end of your second year there without repercussion. However, once you began your third year, a service commitment became firm, and if you wanted to renege on that commitment after that point, you would have to repay the whole of your schooling costs, which was valued at something like $500k. So if you were a football player and had the opportunity to go to the NFL, you might seriously consider paying that buy-out.

I suspect it is still that way, but am not sure.

Now, if Hendrickson is just considering doing a 5th year at another school to use up his eligibility, maybe the USAFA allows him to defer his service commitment until that is done? He could pick up his masters degree, which is something the military values as well.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

Saldate to UM...

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Yeah... it used to be that you could transfer from a service academy before the end of your second year there without repercussion. However, once you began your third year, a service commitment became firm, and if you wanted to renege on that commitment after that point, you would have to repay the whole of your schooling costs, which was valued at something like $500k. So if you were a football player and had the opportunity to go to the NFL, you might seriously consider paying that buy-out.

I suspect it is still that way, but am not sure.

Now, if Hendrickson is just considering doing a 5th year at another school to use up his eligibility, maybe the USAFA allows him to defer his service commitment until that is done? He could pick up his masters degree, which is something the military values as well."

Your last paragraph is what I’m reading would be the plan. I have not seen anything stating that is what he’s doing, but your paragraph is exactly what would need to happen. Personally, I’d be shocked if the AFA allows it, but I hope like heck Olin wrong on this.

Seriously though, he could hit up Northern Colorado and be just fine. Stays in state, is off campus for 7-9 months, earns his Masters, wrestles, and then returns - all while never leaving the state.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 30, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"One year rentals.

Yuck. How I hate what the NIL has brought about."

Agree x ten thousand. But it's the new normal."

I agree too. When I see people speculating about guys leaving mid-major programs after reaching All-American status it crushes me. I won't go so far as saying I'm not a fan of college wrestling anymore - because I'll obviously still be a fan - but it definitely ruins some of the fun of it. It's fun seeing upsets, parity, and smaller programs having success.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2024

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"One year rentals.

Yuck. How I hate what the NIL has brought about."

Agree x ten thousand. But it's the new normal."

I agree too. When I see people speculating about guys leaving mid-major programs after reaching All-American status it crushes me. I won't go so far as saying I'm not a fan of college wrestling anymore - because I'll obviously still be a fan - but it definitely ruins some of the fun of it. It's fun seeing upsets, parity, and smaller programs having success."

34 different schools had at least one AA this year. All sorts of programs are showing signs of improvement. And the one thing they have in common is a positive coaching change. This growth could be stunted by the transfer portal and NIL.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 2, 2024

157 Tommy Akey from App State is in the portal.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 3, 2024

Jacob Cardenas, 197, Cornell.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 3, 2024

Is there a place where simple folks like you and I can look at who is in the actual portal, or are we reliant on word of mouth?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 3, 2024

Rutgers 285. who transferred in last year from Harvard is now transferring to Michigan.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 3, 2024

Cardenas at 197 makes sense for Ohio State. He’s a title contender. But what is he looking for? He’s the only available portal entry worth pursuing.

Michigan is embarrassing itself chasing low All-Americans and bloodround types. These guys provide minimal scoring at the NCAA tournament. Hopefully HS recruits are paying attention.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 3, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Is there a place where simple folks like you and I can look at who is in the actual portal, or are we reliant on word of mouth?"

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12371594-2024-NCAA-d1-wrestling-off-season-transfer-tracker

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next