Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Discussion Topic: Transfer Portal
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

Rutgers 285. who was supposedly transferring to Michigan is now staying at Rutgers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"Looks like Alirez is in the portal...

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12477908-NCAA-champ-andrew-alirez-enters-the-transfer-portal?utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=card.alirezportal&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=breakingnews&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR29LU8uHbQS5IkSh4b38vYs7qWsus_orMY_7l-1_vKPNrZd4NK52pzvhss_aem_AYJXwL_IcDgykGcKi3Fzcd9jh05NMkC0WtzaLJD59OPC3OxL4zLt_FJTyqOOWp51o_t6dIPApjtqVid3ZuLjYKvN"

Mineo says he was offered $150K to stay but decided to test the waters. He also says Iowa offered $500K before he hit the portal and Okie State will match any offer.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

These numbers boggle my small mind.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"Looks like Alirez is in the portal...

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12477908-NCAA-champ-andrew-alirez-enters-the-transfer-portal?utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=card.alirezportal&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=breakingnews&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR29LU8uHbQS5IkSh4b38vYs7qWsus_orMY_7l-1_vKPNrZd4NK52pzvhss_aem_AYJXwL_IcDgykGcKi3Fzcd9jh05NMkC0WtzaLJD59OPC3OxL4zLt_FJTyqOOWp51o_t6dIPApjtqVid3ZuLjYKvN"

Mineo says he was offered $150K to stay but decided to test the waters. He also says Iowa offered $500K before he hit the portal and Okie State will match any offer."

So Iowa and Okie just committed major recruiting violations.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"So Iowa and Okie just committed major recruiting violations."

I think the important technical distinction there is who delivered said offers.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 1, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"So Iowa and Okie just committed major recruiting violations."

I think the important technical distinction there is who delivered said offers."

yeah, mineo is mineo. that said, a nil or university even mentioning $ to a recruit before or during their time in the portal is a recruiting violation.

problem is, NCAA can't enforce them right now cause of a court injunction.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 2, 2024

Any facade of college amateurism is dead. It is, for me, becoming harder and harder to care for a team if the team simply can be bought and not homegrown.

For me, part of the fun, be it football, wrestling or lacrosse at TOSU, is the idea of recruiting kids and watching them grow with the team. I know Urb started getting a lot of out of state kids but out of state kids go to schools all the time, whether it be academics or athletics. How long do they stay? Do they buy in as Buckeyes?

Last year’s wrestling team was exciting and young. It makes me look forward to the next year every year. One guy coming in is, in my opinion, fine because he joins the culture. 5 coming in destroys the culture, if you even have one at that point.

If I were that school up north, Iowa, etc., a title would ring very hollow if half my starters were bought for a year. It would be even more embarrassing if all those starters were bought and they finished where they did last year.

And they are doing it again — reportedly — this year.

I’m not sure what to think about PSU because they really don’t bring in a lot of one year guys. Cael, like Saban,outrecruits and then develops. The question these days is how much is it Cael recruiting and how much is money. I still think it’s mostly Cael.

The Buckeyes won’t be favored next year to win the title but it will be a lot of fun for me to root for them to do it.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 2, 2024

Any facade of college amateurism is dead. It is, for me, becoming harder and harder to care for a team if the team simply can be bought and not homegrown.

For me, part of the fun, be it football, wrestling or lacrosse at TOSU, is the idea of recruiting kids and watching them grow with the team. I know Urb started getting a lot of out of state kids but out of state kids go to schools all the time, whether it be academics or athletics. How long do they stay? Do they buy in as Buckeyes?

Last year’s wrestling team was exciting and young. It makes me look forward to the next year every year. One guy coming in is, in my opinion, fine because he joins the culture. 5 coming in destroys the culture, if you even have one at that point.

If I were that school up north, Iowa, etc., a title would ring very hollow if half my starters were bought for a year. It would be even more embarrassing if all those starters were bought and they finished where they did last year.

I’m not sure what to think about PSU because they really don’t bring in a lot of one year guys. Cael, like Saban,outrecruits and then develops. The question these days is how much is it Cael recruiting and how much is money. I still think it’s mostly Cael.

The Buckeyes won’t be favored next year to win the title but it will be a lot of fun for me to root for them to do it.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 2, 2024

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Any facade of college amateurism is dead. It is, for me, becoming harder and harder to care for a team if the team simply can be bought and not homegrown.

The Buckeyes won’t be favored next year to win the title but it will be a lot of fun for me to root for them to do it."

Roe, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's becoming simply a matter of who has the most money will get a trophy. so instead of the culture, the coach, the tradition, the development of your recruits, making one a title contender, it now is just the Benjamins. Of course Penn St is exempt from this conversation since imo they are the only program excelling at both the wrestling end and the money ends.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on May 3, 2024

UM’s Cam Amine into the portal…
I have a hard time seeing him leaving UM, what with the extended family history.
So makes me wonder whether he’s trying to leverage some NIL $$ from UM - you know, the same $$ UM spent a year ago on the five or so portal transfers (?).

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12509301-michigan-all-american-cameron-amine-enters-the-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0IxSSLPPEp0U7qxP7rLppQVVHkn2Zs5n8MGxmMlev__ihHZ1ncxw0V970_aem_AReif4cFk2BLDDFLD0OPOUzhjKDXTwXQ95xBBHFrNIoHFmY-QENPzPBFl2MvQg-JE7NVe3oj0h7bk8OjFX-gyqOs

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 4, 2024

"UM’s Cam Amine into the portal…
I have a hard time seeing him leaving UM, what with the extended family history.
So makes me wonder whether he’s trying to leverage some NIL $$ from UM - you know, the same $$ UM spent a year ago on the five or so portal transfers (?).

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12509301-michigan-all-american-cameron-amine-enters-the-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0IxSSLPPEp0U7qxP7rLppQVVHkn2Zs5n8MGxmMlev__ihHZ1ncxw0V970_aem_AReif4cFk2BLDDFLD0OPOUzhjKDXTwXQ95xBBHFrNIoHFmY-QENPzPBFl2MvQg-JE7NVe3oj0h7bk8OjFX-gyqOs"

I don’t know who the other guy was on Willie’s podcast but that is what he was talking about with Iowa and Michigan guys. If your Drake Ayala and just made the finals and then see Iowa offer Parco 6 figures to wrestle for a year how do you take that? You go into portal and see if they pokey up to keep you.

They also both agreed that buying one year rentals isn’t sustainable.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2024

"Roe, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's becoming simply a matter of who has the most money will get a trophy. so instead of the culture, the coach, the tradition, the development of your recruits, making one a title contender, it now is just the Benjamins." mike stann

Such an excellent observation.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 4, 2024

I see Chris Cannon is back in the transfer portal. He went from Northwestern to Mich. and I think he sat because of injury, now he looking to leave Mich. This is getting crazy.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 5, 2024

Colton Schultz is in portal

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2024

I've got to think that guys like Parco, Schultz and Alirez already have a good idea where they're going. Or, it's a negotiation to get their current program to pay up.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6