Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Hamiti
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Some thoughts on Hamiti; he's really good and wasn't prepared as well as he could've been for Big Tens and NCAAs.

When you only have two wrestlers (Barnett and Hamiti) with high likelihood of placing, that's where your focus goes because anything less than placing at seed or above is considered losing. Went through this same dynamic at OSU as a coach. It was painful.

Anyone that has to wrestle Messenbrink and is not ready to employ some slow down tactics and is not in their best peak physical form is not prepared.

Everyone prepares and trains hard with the intention of winning. The truth is always binary. You were or weren't prepared for the moments that arose. The outcome tells the tale.

Had that been Hamiti at Penn State and Messenbrink at Wisconsin over the last year, What do you think would've happened?

We are getting to the point that kids understand this and the difference between a championship and not placing is your training partners and coaching; all the while that margin of error for making mistakes is getting slimmer.

So, Hamiti weighed it out and had to consider important variables. Who are his future workout partners, coaches, their past abilities to produce champions and money.

I had a scholarship at ASU and transferred back to OSU for zero. It's laughable considering today's environment. I got lucky upon my return as I had Kevin Randleman as my training partner. I just needed help getting to be the best version of me. While at ASU, I had coaching in the form of Melvin Douglas, who did'nt like me nor did he help me. That's not healthy. Wasted two years there. Those are key developmental years. I feel for Hamiti. It sucks to put a ton of work in and make marginal improvements. He deserves better.

If he finds the right fit, he kicks arse. If not, stays the same.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Also, regular season is just a primer for NCAAs and conference championship. Those are just matches to see where you are at and chart your improvement so that you can definitively peak at the Championships. Matches are sets of data which give insight on what training and skills to address.

Say what you want about it. But if you peak for the CKLV in December and underachieve in March, your preparation wasn't effective.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Sounds like he’s heading to Okie State…

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12372558-all-american-transfer-dean-hamiti-commits-to-oklahoma-state?utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=card.hamitokstate&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=breakingnews&fbclid=IwAR13Kq8JYK6xiESGLS6aKJwqJfxMlNOmt6X9kzyUT9PLny7zphVZ183eYoU_aem_AWUYlwnt1DvG9siuSyU6UvSNgsSOgI9hswLWq5izhYAuf18n01usm4b0NPMcLbZ0HJ8

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

I'm confused, I am seeing guys that are listed as seniors getting one more year of eligibility. 4-timer Staracci has one more year of eligibility?? Did Pletcher and Moore have one more year of eligibility? Hamiti replaces NIU transfer Izzak Olejnik, how fitting. Give Fix another year while you're at it.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Jack, the 2021 season didn’t count against a wrestler’s eligibility. It’s like the season never happened. Think of it using this example: someone who was a sophomore in 2021 was again a sophomore in 2022.

Moore and Pletcher were seniors in 2020 and unfortunately didn’t get to compete in what would’ve been their final national tournament. They were gone before the freebie year.

► Add to the Discussion