Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nagao and Truax
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

I find it interesting that Nagao and Truax did not improve upon their finishes from a year ago.

It seemed plausible that both would improve and be in the hunt for titles this year.

Not even close.

Discussion?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

We tend to be superficial as wrestling fans. If a wrestler improves on his podium finish, then he improved. If not, then he didn’t.

Circumstances swing from year to year.

Myles Martin won a NCAA title as a true freshman then never won another. But he was profoundly better as a senior than as a freshman. Only a fool would say he didn’t improve.

Brackets change. Upsets happen.

In Nagoa’s case, I believe he was sick.

ok fair enough; I agree with those points.

That being said and speaking objectively; I think Truax was the same wrestler as a year ago and Nagao was less.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

I think... they seem like more or less the same wrestlers they were last year: Capable of beating good wrestlers, but not consistently. Consistency is a higher level of excellence. They don't have that yet. Maybe they'll get there, maybe they won't. Many wrestlers (yes, even at PSU) capable of beating good wrestlers never get to the point of doing it consistently.

PSU has historically had superstars, but also some gaps in the lineup. A difference at PSU now is that they have been able to fill those gaps with the transfer portal. That doesn't mean everyone who goes there will instantly be a superstar.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Why do you think Nagao was sick? Was he sick the whole season because he didn’t look good all year.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Flo Wrestling Live mentioned Nagoa feeling sick.

It kind of goes with my trajectory theory of wrestling.

You need to develop the right tools and skills from a young age and then have that augmented when you jump levels.

If there things that get in the way of your upward ascent, they are obstacles to be overcome. These can be serious impediments that derail aspirations and intentions.

You need the right environment, the right instruction, the right toolset, the right amount of work to continue to improve and be the best version of you.

If any part of that equation is not a positive, it can put the brakes on any progress.

Myles was excellent his senior year but did not account for Bo's trickery.

Jesse's match was karmic repayment for the Bo v Myles final match.

Always finish low!!!

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Myles was excellent his senior year but did not account for Bo's trickery.

Jesse's match was karmic repayment for the Bo v Myles final match.

Always finish low!!!"

Rex -
That was his junior year, right?
Then his senior year he was upset by Dean?
Unless I’m mixing metaphors.

Boy was he tough.
Especially his senior year.

Casey-

You are correct as to as to year.

Just referencing the finals year in which the Hi flyer from the mat was used.

I see it play out year after year. A high finish leads to disaster; when a low, ankle biter, boring and safe finish would score points.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

I don't exactly know what conclusions we can draw.

Neither guy really improved. They looked at times worse, and at best the same. At the same time neither guy really took terrible losses.

Perhaps what it underscores for those entering the transfer portal is that transferring to PSU isn't some wrestling panacea. They have the most competitive room and a great coaching staff, but ultimately whether or not a wrestler "develops" largely comes down to the individual in question. Their way of training might not be the best thing for everybody. Not every single guy is going to thrive in that environment.

When they're recruiting they're looking for guys that fit. When they're taking transfers it seems they're a little less choosy.

Hard to point to a transfer they've had that's taken a meaningful step up. Snyder didn't improve there. Changed a little maybe, but improved, no.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2024

Nagao and Truax did not appear improved in the slightest. Perhaps the PSU system works better when you're introduced to it as a frosh?

Michigan had the opposite problem. While Griffith, Gomez and Davison performed to expectation, former multiple AA's Lewan and Amine failed to place. Also, Deaugustino, a former AA, did not come close to putting together another run.

Ragusin saved UM by coming out of redshirt and performing well. He was the only "homegrown" wrestler to have a nice tourney. True frosh Lemley had a nice season but also failed to make a deep run.

When you look at the Michigan squad on paper, it's hard to feel as if they had a good tourney. It was good enough not to be embarrassing but no squad besides PSU had this much talent on paper.

If not for Davison pulling two upsets at 285, this team might not have earned a trophy.

I thought Davison had an outstanding tournament but for the finals. Gomez wrestled very well but lives and dies by the big move. That cement mixer in the finals was the wrong move at the wrong time. He can take anyone down and has great attacks. The takedown to his back by Henson threw his game off. Griffith did a solid job about as well as to be expected. A 2-3-2 was about as well as you could ask with transfers. That's a lot of team points. I've worked with Kevin Jackson and think he does a great job with getting elite guys to wrestle up for competitions.

Franek and Caliendo were seeded 10th and 6th and both placed higher than seeded. Did they improve leaps and bounds, I'd say no. I'd say Caliendo peaked at the right time and Franek was similar to last year. I suspect both would have likely finished the same if they stayed at SDSU.

What I'd like to see is a transfer make a significant jump in levels. Where someone's game becomes more complete due to the influence of new workout partners and coaching assistance.

It felt like Nagao and Truax were on the cusp of being in the hunt for titles (individual) after 2023. But, their games remained the same.

► Add to the Discussion