Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: First period stalling calls against Rocco v Starocci
Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

This is off topic but I have been wondering why TR is not in the corner of his wrestlers in their NCAA finals match. He was not in Stiebers corner for his 4 titles, and why I ask is guys like Sanderson, Brands and John Smith are always in their guys corners. Just wondering, seems a bit odd to me. How many other big programs have head coaches that do what TR does?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Brady,
I did not say, or imply, that it was called that way. Also, I am not judging the calls that were made.
I am trying to say that people constantly complain that stalling is called far more often in the 3rd than in the 1st. However, here it is called in the 1st (whether one agrees with the call is a different issue) and there are complaints about calling it in the 1st. That is all.
Now, the tough part is, what is the solution for the "problem"? How can it be fixed?"

If the ref called it that aggressively in the first, then do so in the 3rd also. It was called the opposite inconsistent way in this match than normal.

They were uber aggressive on stall calls vs Carr as well -- and he out shot and out scored his PSU opponent.

One commonality between the two matches.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"This is off topic but I have been wondering why TR is not in the corner of his wrestlers in their NCAA finals match. He was not in Stiebers corner for his 4 titles, and why I ask is guys like Sanderson, Brands and John Smith are always in their guys corners. Just wondering, seems a bit odd to me. How many other big programs have head coaches that do what TR does?"

Lots of programs are primarily run by assistants at least when it comes to technique and training. TR seems to have ceded a lot of control in that regard to J, Logan and Bo. I think he's still heavily invested in what takes place in the practice room but also very busy with the administrative aspects of his job. When Rob Koll went to North Carolina, he had Tony Ramos and others running workouts. He spends a huge portion of his day reaching out to alumni and fundraising. In today's D1 environment, it's huge to have support outside your athletic department for NIL and other needs. I watched the interview with Rob Koll on Flo and found it intriguing.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 28, 2024

Hank, I understand what you are saying about practices, recruiting and all the other duties of a head coach, but I was specifically asking about TR absence at mat side during these very important finals matches. An example was at the end of the Bartlett/Mendez match the cameras were showing TR in the stands talking with Jesse's dad and mom. Citing your example of Rob Koll, was he in the corner when his wrestlers were competing in big tournaments? I get that Ramos and other assistants helped him in the day to day items.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

There have been matches in the past where Tom was in the corner, but another match in the same tournament, it was Lou and J in the corner. They've talked about this in years past. The coaches in the corner are the ones who have worked the most with the individual/are best able to help the specific individual win the match.

This is the right approach in my mind. The focus should be on giving the wrestler the best chance to win the match, not to stroking the ego of the head coach or trying to keep up appearances.

This is not something I keep track of, but Tom is not unique in this regard. Recall how the ESPN cameras would always show Barry Davis pacing in the tunnel when his wrestlers were wrestling in the finals, with Pritzlaff and someone else in the corner.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

I did look back at the Snyder and Myles Martin finals matches and TR was in the corner. TR used to do a Q&A podcast once in awhile, if he does another one I'll pose the question. And you are right Ben, I remember Barry Davis being interviewed as the match was going on.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2024

How soon you forget Tom Brands and Tom Ryan standing next to each other while Ramos battled Logan. Neither started the match in the corner.

Elite head coaches today are CEO's of a significant business. They turn over a lot of duties to assistants.

Example--Anthony Ralph is their recruiting leader. I don't know specifically what his duties entail but he seems to make first contact with recruits and serve as the Buckeye liason. Then he turns it over to Tom. Again--my assumption.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2