Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestlers Returning
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

He also beat Aden Valencia. If people don’t know who Aden Valencia is look at last years Us open. Aden teched falled Luke pletcher and Seth gross. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bo place very very high at the Olympic trials.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Is anyone picking against he and Forrest in the finals here?

(I think they're at 4pm)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I wish Bucks would’ve signed McDaniel.

Kid is going to be really good for Nebraska

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I wish Bucks would’ve signed McDaniel.

Kid is going to be really good for Nebraska

Jim I agree with you on Mcdanel. Blame Seth Shumate on that one. Seth committed very early, I believe it was his sophomore year. Problem is Seth never got any better after that point. And a lot of guys passed him after. Seth Shumate was beating Nick Feldman back then and was once considered the best in his entire class.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Nick: I don't blame Seth Shumate for signing early. You can "blame" the Bucks for not getting Cam McDaniel

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Problem is Seth never got any better after that point. And a lot of guys passed him after. "

So soph Shumate was a top 25 college wrestler?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Nick's enthusiasm may seem misplaced but it's not. We are seeing extraordinary talent at the high school level these days in larger quantities than in the past. Guys like Logan Stieber, Kyle Snyder and Jesse Mendez are rare. You need to grab your share of them if you want to be relevant. Bucks are undoubtedly trying their best to recruit Bassett, Forrest, Blaze, et.al.

Today I saw some incredible wrestling out of a handful of hs competitors who are still a few years away from college. We know PSU will get their handful but they can't land them all. I'd like to see tOSU grab a few. They appear to have at least one in Davino.

D1 college wrestling today is about talent acquisition. Bucks do a very good job with recruiting. They have to continue if they're going to remain a top five program.

Alex that is exactly what I am saying. Seth Shumate has not got any better since his sophomore year of high school. His sophomore year of high school he would have been a borderline top 25 college wrestler. He won Ironman. He gave Feldman his last high school loss. Most Ironman winners are pretty college ready. At that point he was ranked as the top prospect in his class or near it at one point.

Then we get into analytics to see if he has improved at all in college and he has still never improved. Per wrestlestat which is not opinions just statistical rankings

Redshirt rank #25
True freshman #37

Whether it was work ethic or early puberty or burnt out or whatever I just think he’s the exact same wrestler probably for the last 5 years. This also is what happened to Chris Phillips from Monroeville. Never really got any better after his freshman year of high school. Happens from time to time.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I get your point Nick, but you tend to over exaggerate to make your point. To say Seth hasn't improved AT ALL since his sophmore year in high school is a bit of an exaggeration.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

"I was waiting for this weekend Brady. If you don’t think Bo Bassett is an gaurenteed all American in d1 right now just look what he did to Ashnault a former d1 champ. Bo Bassett is a generational talent. I think he would bonus bouzakis today and will only get better. If he loses when he gets to college the total losses will be counted on one hand."

Look at what happened vs Kolodzik. NOBODY is guaranteed an AA -- especially a 17 yr old. Old guys with man strength - especially in Folkstyle -- can slow a match down. Give him a year in college to further his progress and I can buy it. If Mitch M wrestled as a true Frosh, there isn't a guarantee he'd AA. Mendez is an incredible talent. AA as a true frosh and Natty Champ as true soph. Amazing - but recall that he had to win THREE CONSECUTIVE OT matches to AA last year.

Would I be shocked if BB would AA, not in the least. Would I be shocked if he didn't AA as a true frosh, not in the least either.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Deleted repeat post.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on April 8, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

"Alex that is exactly what I am saying. Seth Shumate has not got any better since his sophomore year of high school. His sophomore year of high school he would have been a borderline top 25 college wrestler. He won Ironman. He gave Feldman his last high school loss. Most Ironman winners are pretty college ready. At that point he was ranked as the top prospect in his class or near it at one point.

Then we get into analytics to see if he has improved at all in college and he has still never improved. Per wrestlestat which is not opinions just statistical rankings

Redshirt rank #25
True freshman #37

Whether it was work ethic or early puberty or burnt out or whatever I just think he’s the exact same wrestler probably for the last 5 years. This also is what happened to Chris Phillips from Monroeville. Never really got any better after his freshman year of high school. Happens from time to time."

I don’t believe Phillips problem was not getting better at wrestling.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Brady his loss to Kolodzik does not not change any opinion that BB would be an all American now. Koldzik is a huge 65 kg. He wrestled and all Americans at 149 in college every year. He probably walks around at 160. BB walks around at 138 pounds. He only wrestled 138 for high school to allow Gibson to wrestle 132 and to seek out better competition. All his college tournaments were at 133. Swiderski was too big for Jesse Mendes his senior year. Size was BB problem in this matchup.

In the college tournaments he went 10-0 and didn’t have too close of a match. Won a bracket that Bouzakis got fourth in. Beat a kid who was a 3x all American and finished third in d2 by a score of 23-4 in the first period. I think you are underestimating him.

As for Mitchell Messenbrink that is not a good comparison. Mitchell was a very late bloomer. He went from not placing at Fargo and finishing 7th place at super 32 his senior year. That is the reason he committed to Cal poly. Between his senior year and redshirt year he jumped huge levels. Burroughs, Kollin Moore, Anthony Cesar all were guys who needed a little time to develop. BB is already there.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

A true freshman isn't what it use to be with wrestlers being held back at grade school level to physically mature.

A true freshman can be twenty years old and that is enough time to develop into a senior level world champion given the right environment.

Fewer matches work to some wrestlers advantage as well. If you wrestle a guy once, then he has video on you to analyze and figure you out. The right coach can really make a difference.

Bo has a target on his back now that he entered the senior level jungle. There are a lot of veterans who are going to take it as a personal insult that this young wrestler is going to make a lot of money that was not available to them. Let alone the attention.

He reminds me a lot of McIlravy. He wins by elite pace and really great skill. He can make guys look dumb if they don't show up prepared in that department.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next