Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo Bassett
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

After his performance this weekend he deserves his own thread. Beat Aden Valencia( Aden has tech fall wins over Luke Pletcher and Seth Gross last year) and Anthony Ashnault. He will face Kolodzik in the finals. He may be the biggest high school recruit of all time. It is almost comical to me that Flo has him ranked number 13 p4p. He is number one and I don’t think it’s a real debate.

Whoever gets him and Jax will win four straight NCAA team titles. I’m guessing they are a package deal. My prediction is that Bo will be the first collegiate wrestler who will be making 7 figures annually. He already is making money through Rudis also. Tom Ryan if you are listening save ever dollar you ever get donated to this young man. Let the bidding wars begin. Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan will be in a crazy bidding war.

There is literally no benefit for him to even compete in high school any longer. No one is coming close to him over the next two years. I would be very intrigued to see a possible Jesse mendes matchup at Olympic trials.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I don’t think they are a package deal and Jax is linked to Okie State.

Willie said PSU is leader for Bo but who knows.

Unless they land at PSU they aren’t winning 4 teams titles

I am hoping they are not a package deal. Ohio state could not afford them both lol. If they are a package deal I would put that team up against anyway including against a Penn state team. They are likely worth nearly 60 points per year. All it will take is a few more pieces and other kids will want to be part of it I have a feeling. They could be part of the foundation that took down the Penn State dynasty. If Penn state gets them it’s four more years fighting for second. If they seperate Penn state still wins regardless.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I'd be shocked if Bassett didn't end up at PSU. Still, you have to try and get him.

Bucks need to get Marcus Blaze.

Ohio state isn’t going to not get him because they didn’t try. Ohio state is trying probably more than any other program. Tom has been on him since 8th grade I believe. He was on a visit then and went to a Buckeye football game. Ohio state hosted his high school to a dual meet against Graham at the Covelli last winter. If anyone is trying it is Ohio state. 7 figures annually is probably ultimately what it will come down to. I am good for never getting anyone out of the transfer portal ever if it means the buckeyes could land him and save their Nil they do have.

Bo Bassett had one non bonus point victory this entire season. That is with him bumping up and trying to give himself the absolute best competition. His non bonus point win was 5-1 against Ayoub. Ayoub had a huge size advantage also as he went up to 144 after and Bo bumped up. He weighed in with his shoes on at wno. Over the next two years I doubt he has even one competitive high school match. He will probably just enter a whole bunch of college opens. Even the greats all have had competitive matches throughout their senior years.
Steveson had Kirkvliet
Taylor had Palmer
Snyder had Haines
Stieber had Carter.
Bo I doubt has another competitive high school match.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on April 7, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Does Bo being signed by Rudis doing anything to help Bucks chances? Bo is going to be great no matter where he goes.

I think Bo is pretty tight with Bucks strength and conditioning coach.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Going to be extremely difficult to win a straight up bidding war against the green three for any recruit or transfer.

You need a guy like Bassett to believe in building the NEXT dynasty, and then you try to put together an attractive enough NIL offer to get you across the finish line.

But consider the ask. If it is $1mm/year as you're speculating, you're going to need major support from major donors. Not to help build a facility that will have their name on it for the next 20 years, but to cut checks to teenagers.

No 5 year contracts. No non-transfer clauses. Pretty astounding what the whole thing has become.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I don't know if Bo is p4p #1 but he is amazing. The top hs wrestlers have beaten some top college wrestlers this season. However, they have took loses to other top hs wrestlers. Basically, top hs wrestlers have closed the gap on high end D1 talent in recent years.

It can not hurt having Rudis. Ohio state has the most Rudis athletes at three. Kollin Moore, Feldman, and Snyder. But they also like to be diverse in getting Burroughs, Lee, Retherford to get more fan bases . Feldman is the only current college wrestler they endorse so that is a positive. I’m just not sure if Rudis is willing to pay more if he becomes a Buckeye. To me if it’s not Penn state it will be Ohio state or Iowa. I’m guessing Michigan is out bc Rudis may be a conflict of interest possibly? But Ohio state will definitely be on the short list of teams.

Hmmm. That was quick. Still the best recruit of all time Nick?

The only person who has a debate in the p4p discussion is Ferrari. Ferrari wins a lot of low scoring defensive matches like Rocco Welsh and Davino. Bassett is an absolute scoring machine like a David Taylor or Messenbrink. That’s why I put him ahead of Ferrari.

Davino has two wins over Forrest and another over Blaze.
Forrest and blaze have wins over Lilladahl.
Davino has had one loss in three years at super 32 this year and Bo embarrassed that kid in the finals. Ask any college coach who they would start a team with and I’ll be willing to bet Bo Bassett is a pretty unanimous one.

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"The only person who has a debate in the p4p discussion is Ferrari. Ferrari wins a lot of low scoring defensive matches like Rocco Welsh and Davino. Bassett is an absolute scoring machine like a David Taylor or Messenbrink. That’s why I put him ahead of Ferrari.

Davino has two wins over Forrest and another over Blaze.
Forrest and blaze have wins over Lilladahl.
Davino has had one loss in three years at super 32 this year and Bo embarrassed that kid in the finals. Ask any college coach who they would start a team with and I’ll be willing to bet Bo Bassett is a pretty unanimous one."

I don't think Bassett > Forrest is unanimous at all.

Bassett is still a high school sophomore and only going to get much better so I stick to how good he will be. Davino beat Forrest two straight matches last year. Davino went in the same bracket as Bassett and got third in which Bassett dominated the field. Forrest also lost to a y ranked wrestler at districts which he did avenge at state. Bassetts results are more impressive overall than Forrest.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Well, Forrest just took care of Nato. Didn't see that coming but his style was perfect against Nate.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Bassett is still a high school sophomore and only going to get much better so I stick to how good he will be. "

"Seth committed very early, I believe it was his sophomore year. Problem is Seth never got any better after that point. And a lot of guys passed him after. Seth Shumate was beating Nick Feldman back then and was once considered the best in his entire class."

Someone said this recently in another thread.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next