Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo Bassett
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

There is a big difference between Shumate and Bassett lol. If you ever get bored look at his social media. Bassett is up training at 5 am every morning. His entire life is dedicated to nothing but wrestling. Some people get burnt out or don’t have the work ethic or just hit puberty early. That is not Bo Bassett I promise you. Even if Bassett never gets any better he is probably a four time All American. Shumate was never as good as Bassett is today.

Bo is small for a 138 pounder also. He was giving up a ton of size at 65 kg which is 143 pounds. A lot of guys are cutting 15-20 pounds to make this weight. Just wait until he fills out into 65 kg. Kolodzik was just too much physically bigger. Ashnault and Kolodzik were college 149 pounders. Bo wrestled 133 this year at an open. Bo was extremely small for this weight.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on April 7, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Kolodzik, an NJRTC guy, may have had a size advantage but he also had an excellent game plan for the match.

Yahya Thomas, another NJRTC guy, was clearly undersized but was competitive with Vincenzo Joseph in a losing effort.

Helps to have a game plan and a good coach. Kudos to Reece Humphrey.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"There is a big difference between Shumate and Bassett lol. If you ever get bored look at his social media. Bassett is up training at 5 am every morning. His entire life is dedicated to nothing but wrestling. Some people get burnt out or don’t have the work ethic or just hit puberty early. That is not Bo Bassett I promise you. Even if Bassett never gets any better he is probably a four time All American. Shumate was never as good as Bassett is today.

Bo is small for a 138 pounder also. He was giving up a ton of size at 65 kg which is 143 pounds. A lot of guys are cutting 15-20 pounds to make this weight. Just wait until he fills out into 65 kg. Kolodzik was just too much physically bigger."

You should have your own podcast.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

I seen Bo beat the cream of the crop but i also seen him get pinned at WNO in September in a match he was down 18-7. I hope we can get him if not at least keep Blaze home.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"I seen Bo beat the cream of the crop but i also seen him get pinned at WNO in September in a match he was down 18-7. I hope we can get him if not at least keep Blaze home."

He was giving up a lot of weight to that kid at WNO.

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"I seen Bo beat the cream of the crop but i also seen him get pinned at WNO in September in a match he was down 18-7. I hope we can get him if not at least keep Blaze home."

He was giving up a lot of weight to that kid at WNO."

I remember when Dustin Schlatter was wrestling 145lb and bump up two weight classes to challenge Mike Miller from (Uniontown) who was #1 in his weight class in the nation at the time. Or D.T. vs Palmer. It's what the best of the best do from time to time.

A+ for a Mike Miller reference. He went to Central Michigan and had a great career. #tomborelli

"

"

I remember when Dustin Schlatter was wrestling 145lb and bump up two weight classes to challenge Mike Miller from (Uniontown) who was #1 in his weight class in the nation at the time. Or D.T. vs Palmer. It's what the best of the best do from time to time."

I agree but if those guys lose I don’t remember holding that against them.

Not holding it against him at all. I just don't know if he should be a consensus p4p just yet. A lot of great talent graduating hs this year and the next couple of years that i think can AA right away. Davino,Ferrai, Blaze, Bo, Zepeda, Jax just to name a few.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Bo went from 113 to 120 to 126 to 132 to 138 in a very very short amount of time. He is only wrestling that high to seek out better competition. At wno he weighed in with his shoes on. Zapedo wrestled 150 for most of the year. Bo was clearly undersized just like he is at 65 kg. The non Olympic weight of 61kg is where Bo would truly compete. Ashnault and Kolodzik cut to be colllege 149s.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Couple things.

Freestyle is not Folkstyle. These results may seem crazy but not really. Alan Fried was beating past NCAA champ in freestyle as a junior in high school.

Bo is great because he dominates the tie up. He overwhelms a lot of guys. Kind of like what the Brands and McIlravy did. Good company to be in. That being said Kolodzik was strong and was highly evolved and ready for the barrage. Also, it looked like Bo was spent after a long day of wrestling. That physical style will do it to you. Compare that to Jax who is a technical wizard that doesn't rely on a high pace.

It's much more doable to prepare for a high pace than a technical wizard.

To me, Jax and Blaze look like P4P recruits as their skills are tricky and unique.

I watched Bassett take out Ashnault and was blown away. But Kolodzik was ready and is extremely well coached by Reece Humphrey. Everyone has limits. Bassett, as I mentioned, reminds me of Mesenbrink.

It pained me to see Jax Forrest beat NATO. Nate Tomasello will always be one of my all time favorite wrestlers because he always competed to the best of his abilities. We were fortunate to have him in Columbus. He never let painful losses keep him from competing at a high level his next match. There are guys (Younger Bastida comes to mind) who fall apart at NCAA's when they suffered an unexpected defeat. Nate always shrugged off the disappointment and came back to win. That's a champion. He did it three times.

"Not holding it against him at all. I just don't know if he should be a consensus p4p just yet. A lot of great talent graduating hs this year and the next couple of years that i think can AA right away. Davino,Ferrai, Blaze, Bo, Zepeda, Jax just to name a few."

Ok I can get on board with this and also think Jax or Blaze is probably #1

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

"

"

I remember when Dustin Schlatter was wrestling 145lb and bump up two weight classes to challenge Mike Miller from (Uniontown) who was #1 in his weight class in the nation at the time. Or D.T. vs Palmer. It's what the best of the best do from time to time."

I was there and it was a great match. First time DS totally gassed against a guy who kept coming.

Didn’t Miller drop a weight and DS go up one?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Bo B is VERY good, but not the P4P #1 in HS.

He also is NOT #13. For me, he's a top 5 guy.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next