Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo Bassett
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"

"I seen Bo beat the cream of the crop but i also seen him get pinned at WNO in September in a match he was down 18-7. I hope we can get him if not at least keep Blaze home."

He was giving up a lot of weight to that kid at WNO."

I remember when Dustin Schlatter was wrestling 145lb and bump up two weight classes to challenge Mike Miller from (Uniontown) who was #1 in his weight class in the nation at the time. Or D.T. vs Palmer. It's what the best of the best do from time to time."

I was there and it was a great match. First time DS totally gassed against a guy who kept coming.

Didn’t Miller drop a weight and DS go up one?"

DS just bumped up to 160 ( it was allowed then) for the challenge.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 7, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Bo went from 113 to 120 to 126 to 132 to 138 in a very very short amount of time. He is only wrestling that high to seek out better competition. At wno he weighed in with his shoes on. Zapedo wrestled 150 for most of the year. Bo was clearly undersized just like he is at 65 kg. The non Olympic weight of 61kg is where Bo would truly compete. Ashnault and Kolodzik cut to be colllege 149s."

Bo, is great not trying to take anything away from him. My point is others have the resume to be p4p next year as well. I think he was slightly undersize at WNO but i don't think thats the singular reason he was dominated.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

For the 2026 class Forrest would be at the top of my list, Bo just a hair behind. Count your blessings if you get either.

But re: Forrest if the Oklahoma State rumors are true, that makes a lot of sense. Seems like a guy that would fit perfectly with John Smith & Coleman Scott.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

"

DS just bumped up to 160 ( it was allowed then) for the challenge."

I don't remember the weight they might have wrestled at but just a point of clarification. In the last 40 years, at least, wrestlers were never allowed to wrestle anything other than the weight class their weight qualified them for and one class above that. They were never permitted to jump two weight classes in all the time I have been on the mat.
If the weights were 145 and 160, one might have gone up while one came down (that gets tricky in itself) but the jump from 145 to 160 was a no go.
Now, if DS weighed in at 146, he would be a 152 and that would be possible.
Also, if this was some sort of All Star match (outside of the season) that could be different.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"For the 2026 class Forrest would be at the top of my list, Bo just a hair behind. Count your blessings if you get either.

But re: Forrest if the Oklahoma State rumors are true, that makes a lot of sense. Seems like a guy that would fit perfectly with John Smith & Coleman Scott."

Devil's Advocate--Daton Fix arrived at Okie State as credentialed as any recruit in a long time and never won a title. Personally, I'd choose Ohio State or Nebraska over Okie State all day...not to mention places like Cornell, Virginia Tech and NC State.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Devil's Advocate--Daton Fix arrived at Okie State as credentialed as any recruit in a long time and never won a title. Personally, I'd choose Ohio State or Nebraska over Okie State all day...not to mention places like Cornell, Virginia Tech and NC State."

Agreed on that point. Fix was basically the same wrestler for the first five years of his collegiate career, and a slightly lesser version of that for the last two. If I were recruiting against them I'd certainly point that out. Smith made a lot of mistakes and the program definitely got away from him over the past 5 years.

Unfortunately, they now have a lot of momentum. Viable succession plan, strong recruiting classes, young talent, NIL money. And probably most importantly, they've gotten their culture back on track.

My point was mostly that Forrest just feels like a stylistic fit there. Granted, I think he fits everywhere.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Marcus Blaze told Zeb Miller he plans to announce his college choice in the spring. It’s now the spring. My guess is we hear something shortly after the Olympic Trials in two weeks.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Daton fix still had a remarkable career. He wrestled six seasons and had 7 total losses. Jesse mendes had 9 his freshman year. Daton will go down as the best non champ ever probably. Unless he is injured Bo and Jax will more than likely going to be at least 4x AA. There is a lot of good talent all concentrated around the same few weights so it is possible that BB never wins would but I would be shocked. Lilladahl, blaze, davino, Knox, leduca, Forrest, and Bassett.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"

I don't remember the weight they might have wrestled at but just a point of clarification. In the last 40 years, at least, wrestlers were never allowed to wrestle anything other than the weight class their weight qualified them for and one class above that. They were never permitted to jump two weight classes in all the time I have been on the mat.
If the weights were 145 and 160, one might have gone up while one came down (that gets tricky in itself) but the jump from 145 to 160 was a no go.
Also, if this was some sort of All Star match (outside of the season) that could be different."

It was definitely during the season and DS definitely bumped up 2 weight classes, lost narrowly.

Now did he weigh in a couple pounds above 145, that’s entirely possible.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

"

"

Also, if this was some sort of All Star match (outside of the season) that could be different."

It was definitely during the season and DS definitely bumped up 2 weight classes, lost narrowly.

Now did he weigh in a couple pounds above 145, that’s entirely possible.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"
Now did he weigh in a couple pounds above 145, that’s entirely possible."

All I am saying is that he had to weigh more than 145 so that had to be what was done in order to make it happen.
Depending on when it happened in the season, the growth allowance could have been a factor as well. If it was after the Christmas holiday, he would have had to weigh more than 147.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

"

"

I wrestled a tri match during that era and was bumped up to 160. I'm sure I weighted in at 145 because that was my weight class. DS vs Miller was a dual meet I believe. It is quite possible DS had pre planned to challenge Miller so his weight was over 145 for that particular match.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 8, 2024

Schlatter didn’t cut for the dual. He weighed in a little over 145 (so he was a152-pounder for that dual) and then bumped up to 160 to face Miller. Fried did the same thing (with even worse results) against that stud from PA in’89.

The embarrassment of riches at those lower-to-middle wights is staggering. Four or five legends all around and the same size.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 10, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Schlatter didn’t cut for the dual. He weighed in a little over 145 (so he was a152-pounder for that dual) and then bumped up to 160 to face Miller. Fried did the same thing (with even worse results) against that stud from PA in’89.

The embarrassment of riches at those lower-to-middle wights is staggering. Four or five legends all around and the same size."

That stud would be Rich Catalano (teammate of Ray Brinzer).

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 12, 2024

If my memory serves me, Schlatter bumped up to wrestle Miller in their league dual both their junior and senior years, the '04 and '05 seasons. In '04, Schlatter was a 140 and Miller was a 152, Schlatter weighed in at 145 and wrestled 152 and beat Miller. In '05, Schlatter was a 145 and Miller was a 160, and Schlatter weighed in at 152. Miller won that one.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next