Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: John Smith retires at Okie State
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12430233-john-smith-retires-after-legendary-career-as-oklahoma-state-coach?utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=card.johnsmithretires&utm_content=article&utm_campaign=breakingnews&fbclid=IwAR0PPQEnrYFjacSpX7e4GePfa-wXt-HNDqrg3St8tuz9CrDkMCt2YytxJpo_aem_ATRVt_B54My1PhYEhz7LV83SPWS0XcjJG1UBb2KOHatVwEIiZ-ioPYB2FFWeEw_C7-8

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

A true legend of our sport. I wish him the best in his future endeavors. I think Okie St is a great job opportunity. Who is the favorite to land the position?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

Pendleton? Scott?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

Gotta be Scott, right? I assume he left his HC job in Chapel Hill because he was the succession plan.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

Coleman Scott has been named as the interim head coach, so it's possible it's a done deal that he is named the next head coach and they just need to got through the formalities.

John Smith truly was a legend and I hope wrestlers of future generations continue to know his name. I remember watching two high schoolers arguing over who got to wear a John Smith singlet at an off-season tournament in the 2000's. I have a feeling his name doesn't hold quite as much meaning to kids today, so hopefully his legacy loves on.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 11, 2024

Although the Cowboys didn't have a great NCAA's, they seemed to wrestle better and with more consistency throughout the season. And by "not great", they had two finalists and another placer.

John Smith did it all as a coach and competitor. He's a legend in our sport.

I assumed from the moment he went back to Oklahoma State that the plan was for Coleman Scott to succeed him. Good luck to him.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on April 12, 2024

I wonder if Pat Popolizio was ever considered? He seems to be the most qualified ex-OSU guy. Word is they have to post the job for a few days before they can officially name Coleman Scott the HC.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 12, 2024

Hard to believe John Smith is retiring. What a career. I feel like I need to attend a ceremony or something.

Yeah Pat Pop would seem like a great hire if he's interested in moving at this point in his career. He's built strong programs at both Binghamton and NC State at this point, and I suspect would do great at OkSU.

Coleman obviously did well at UNC as well.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 12, 2024

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"I wonder if Pat Popolizio was ever considered? He seems to be the most qualified ex-OSU guy. Word is they have to post the job for a few days before they can officially name Coleman Scott the HC."

I have a real problem with Pat Pop. . .the beard at NCAAs. The only thing missing was the white suit and pastel colored tshirt.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 12, 2024

GOAT

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

I'm not old enough to have been watching wrestling when he was still competing, but what a career worth honoring. I'm not sure there's anyone in wrestling whose interviews I have consistently enjoyed more.

There's one in particular that influenced me and has stuck with me--see link below. The indelible impact on my memory may be due to the time I watched it: It was back in 2007, right when Flo started, and before there was so much content on the internet. I was also a brand new adult, struggling to be motivated in college.

I remember... "you gotta think when you're coming in here, 'I'm going to jump levels.'"

"It's not when we feel good, we feel great... we're going to have those days, when you kick everyone's ass, come in and beat the shit out of everybody. I don't even care about those days. I care about the days when things aren't going too well, and you recover through them, you push through it."

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5086954-john-smith-after-practice

► Add to the Discussion