Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan Flo interview.
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"One of my favorite movies is 'The Natural.'

One of my favorite scenes is when Roy Hobbs asks Max, "Did you ever play ball?"

Kinda wish Coach Ryan would have asked Pyle that question, in wrestling form.

And yes I know there is an important place for journalism in sports."

I think it is important to remember that (apparently) Pyle's job is to create content and controversy. Without that, he is nothing.

As I think most people feel, Tom Ryan is a very good coach/leader but there is zero reason for him to allow himself to be dragged into the mud with articles like this. There is no upside for him or the program.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

duplicate

Last edited by Ben Golden on April 16, 2024; edited 1 time in total

I don't see where C.P. did anything controversial here to be honest. Coach Ryan initiated the argument, and if you ask me, read things into his tweets that weren't there. This is the chain from twitter:

Christian Pyles: Jacob Cardenas to Michigan. Big pickup.

Should be ranked #2 at 197 to start the year.
----------------------------------------------

Matt Cilimberg: Can we agree that buying podium finishes is bad for the sport? Wish wrestling had real journalists who call this stuff out instead of celebrating as a “big pickup”.

Christian Pyles: Cardenas isn't allowed to wrestle at Cornell this year because of Ivy rules. He had to transfer.

Just pay attention this has been mentioned in probably 20 pieces of content on FloWrestling this year.

Matt Cilimberg: Fair enough, forgot he was out of Ivy eligibility. I’ll save my comments for the next transfer they buy.

Christian Pyles: Name every successful, non-Ivy team that doesn’t go after multiple transfers.

The WPIAL Wrestling: NC State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Missouri. That was easy, nice try C.P..

Christian Pyles: 1 out of 5, not bad!
NC State CORRECT
Ohio State INCORRECT
VT INCORRECT
ASU INCORRECT
Missouri INCORRECT

Ohio State had Orndorff the last few years. McKenna and Campbell on their best team ever.

ASU has Parco and Negron this year. Had McGee last year. Peter Lipari as well.

Missouri has Jioffre now. NCAA Qualifiers Connor Brown and Matt Schmitt very recently. Blaise Butler before them.

VT has Wolak coming in. Had Korbin Myers from Edinboro, Nathan Traxler from Stanford very recently.

This isn't even exhaustive, just some of the ones off the top of my head.

Also, know that while some teams don't have a ton of transfers, many of them are active in the pursuit of transfers, just don't necessarily land them.

Tom Ryan: Pyles you’re silly. Facts should be facts. Ohio State has had 0 transfers in the NIL Era. The men you’re referring to were recruited with the 9.9 by the NCAA. Whats happening now is quite different. The record for most team points should have an asterisk (*NIL INCLUDED).

Christian Pyles: Fact: You actively pursue transfers in NIL era, you just haven’t landed them yet.

You went hard after Mesenbrink when he went in portal, which you obviously should have!

I don’t judge the transfer game! I defend it.

Just don’t pretend you aren’t in it. All <3

I am silly though, that is true.

Tom Ryan: Here we go. Trying to clean up a messy post. That wasn’t your post. Your post was inaccurate. It was untrue. It wasn’t truth. Your post said Mckenna & Tate were in NIL era. Yes we have looked in portal! Never said we haven’t.

Christian Pyles: I never once said NIL. You made that up!

I'm clean over here!

Tom Ryan: Anyone who follows the sport, has any common sense and can read, would agree what you’re at the least “implying”…. Ohio State has transfers in NIL era. And we have looked in portal. Other teams paying far more and we have a great young team.

Christian Pyles: There was nothing implied actually.

The only point I was trying to make is that nearly every trophy contending team has actively pursued getting transfers, annually.

Then people said teams like Ohio State, ASU, Missouri, VT don't get/go after transfers, and I simply showed how that wasn't the case for any of them.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Two guys had a disagreement about wrestling. It was cordial. This happens every day on this site.

No need for me to take a side.

I like Christian Pyles. I also like Tom Ryan.

Agreed, Drew.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"And therein lies the rub…it’s not that tOSU is “above” using NIL and the portal, it’s that they’re not as successful at it as three other Big Ten teams. Thats all Pyles was saying and it seemed that on social media Coach Ryan was saying that was a lie, but in the interview it seems it was the truth. Am I missing something?"

I am not a fan of Pyles but I couldn't agree more with Michael's input here. Tom Ryan came off as somebody with sour grapes because others are beating him in the NIL/portal arena.

John Joyce added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I don't see where C.P. did anything controversial here to be honest. Coach Ryan initiated the argument, and if you ask me, read things into his tweets that weren't there. This is the chain from twitter:

Christian Pyles: Jacob Cardenas to Michigan. Big pickup.

Should be ranked #2 at 197 to start the year.

Matt Cilimberg: Can we agree that buying podium finishes is bad for the sport? Wish wrestling had real journalists who call this stuff out instead of celebrating as a “big pickup”.

Christian Pyles: Cardenas isn't allowed to wrestle at Cornell this year because of Ivy rules. He had to transfer.

Just pay attention this has been mentioned in probably 20 pieces of content on FloWrestling this year.

Matt Cilimberg: Fair enough, forgot he was out of Ivy eligibility. I’ll save my comments for the next transfer they buy.

Christian Pyles: Name every successful, non-Ivy team that doesn’t go after multiple transfers.

The WPIAL Wrestling: NC State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Missouri. That was easy, nice try C.P..

Christian Pyles: 1 out of 5, not bad!
NC State CORRECT
Ohio State INCORRECT
VT INCORRECT
ASU INCORRECT
Missouri INCORRECT

Ohio State had Orndorff the last few years. McKenna and Campbell on their best team ever.

ASU has Parco and Negron this year. Had McGee last year. Peter Lipari as well.

Missouri has Jioffre now. NCAA Qualifiers Connor Brown and Matt Schmitt very recently. Blaise Butler before them.

VT has Wolak coming in. Had Korbin Myers from Edinboro, Nathan Traxler from Stanford very recently.

This isn't even exhaustive, just some of the ones off the top of my head.

Also, know that while some teams don't have a ton of transfers, many of them are active in the pursuit of transfers, just don't necessarily land them.

Tom Ryan: Pyles you’re silly. Facts should be facts. Ohio State has had 0 transfers in the NIL Era. The men you’re referring to were recruited with the 9.9 by the NCAA. Whats happening now is quite different. The record for most team points should have an asterisk (*NIL INCLUDED).

Christian Pyles: Fact: You actively pursue transfers in NIL era, you just haven’t landed them yet.

You went hard after Mesenbrink when he went in portal, which you obviously should have!

I don’t judge the transfer game! I defend it.

Just don’t pretend you aren’t in it. All <3

I am silly though, that is true.

Tom Ryan: Here we go. Trying to clean up a messy post. That wasn’t your post. Your post was inaccurate. It was untrue. It wasn’t truth. Your post said Mckenna & Tate were in NIL era. Yes we have looked in portal! Never said we haven’t.

Christian Pyles: I never once said NIL. You made that up!

I'm clean over here!

Tom Ryan: Anyone who follows the sport, has any common sense and can read, would agree what you’re at the least “implying”…. Ohio State has transfers in NIL era. And we have looked in portal. Other teams paying far more and we have a great young team.

Christian Pyles: There was nothing implied actually.

The only point I was trying to make is that nearly every trophy contending team has actively pursued getting transfers, annually.

Then people said teams like Ohio State, ASU, Missouri, VT don't get/go after transfers, and I simply showed how that wasn't the case for any of them."

I think its clear what was implied by the back and forth of Pyles and Cilimberg. Pyles was responding to Cilimberg talking about buying a trophy, replied directly to that with name a team who doesn't. Pyles played it off with semantics that he wasn't talking about that when he responded directly to it. In the context, Ryan's response is correct. The transfers named were not bought.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from John Joyce's post:

"I think its clear what was implied by the back and forth of Pyles and Cilimberg. Pyles was responding to Cilimberg talking about buying a trophy, replied directly to that with name a team who doesn't. Pyles played it off with semantics that he wasn't talking about that when he responded directly to it. In the context, Ryan's response is correct. The transfers named were not bought."

Of course. The original point is that teams like Michigan are buying team points.

He's defending that point by referencing transfers that took place under the old ruleset, or by noting that teams like Ohio State have tried to get transfers in the NIL era (but haven't succeeded). Neither of these points invalidate the original assertion.

Obviously that's what set TR off, but he just shouldn't get involved with Pyles in the first place.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Is this back and forth between Coach Ryan and Christian Pyles, I think that Ryan threw the brick too early.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"Is this back and forth between Coach Ryan and Christian Pyles, I think that Ryan threw the brick too early."

I've subscribed to Flo for over a decade. For as many live stream issues as they've had -- you can't throw any brick at them to early (even if not a good brick -- toss away).

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3