Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Golden era of USA freestyle wrestling
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 14, 2024

This has to be the golden era of USA freestyle wrestling. Here is a list of most world titles in US history

Jordan Burroughs-7
John Smith-6
Bruce Baumgardner-5
Kyle Dake-4
David Taylor -4
Kyle Snyder-4

4 of the top 6 guys ever are competing now so this has to be the best era we have ever had. Also jden cox has a couple. Imagine if Gable Steveson didn’t waste his talent elsewhere. Gable would have probably crushed these records or at least came close. This is probably about the end of this era so appreciate while it’s here.

Jordan is probably done after this year is my guess. Kyle Snyder is a clear number three at this point and will probably not get another one. The only clear favorite to continue winning world titles is David Taylor. He is right now the p4p best wrestler on the planet.

My question is this. Can David Taylor challenge Burroughs record? He has won 69 out of his last 70 freestyle matches. He seems to be as good as he ever has. This is amazing because he was behind Burroughs and Dake soooo many years. He is the big favorite to get his 5th this year. He would just have to win two more years but at that point would be 35. Brooks eventually probably pushes him out but how long will it take is the next question.

For selfish reasons I hope Gable doesn’t work out in the wwe. He is still just 23 so has a lot of his prime in front of him. He destroyed the Us field last year to qualify for worlds then didn’t end up competing. Mason Paris is probably a world medalist and Gable made it look easy while not being fully invested in wrestling.

Last edited by Nick Lecklider on April 14, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 14, 2024

John Smith was pretty good too.

There are a few wrestlers, most notably Lee Kemp, who won 3 world titles, and a world bronze, and was a 1980 Olympian (heavily favored to win gold), who are every bit as good or better than Taylor, Dake, etc...As has often been the case, Kemp faced extraordinary competition at home which made it tough for him to keep making world teams. He also didn't have the benefit of RTC training set ups which have clearly elevated our game.

I'd add Kenny Monday and The Schultz brothers to your list. Also Kevin Jackson.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on April 14, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 14, 2024

Hank I wrote the wrong name lol. Thanks for catching that

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 14, 2024

I think the era continues with new names.

What’s made this era happen? Big thing is money. It’s now a viable option for the elite wrestlers to keep wrestling into their 30s in a way that they can support their families comfortably.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Mason Paris is probably a world medalist and Gable made it look easy while not being fully invested in wrestling."

Not probably, literally. Parris took Bronze in September.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

A couple of random thoughts. This is a great, great batch of guys on the senior team, they deserve to be called a Golden Era. But the teams in the early 90s as well as the 1972 team can hold their own, IMO. The 1991 team had Zeke Jones, John Smith, Brad Penrith, Kenny Monday, Kevin Jackson, Chris Campbell, Mark Coleman, and Bruce Baumgartner. 1996 had Kendall Cross, Tom Brands, and Kurt Angle bring home gold, with Townsend Saunders 2nd, Bruce 3rd, and Melvin Douglas, Les Gutches, and Kenny Monday not making the podium. That's an elite group. The whole quad was stacked, would love a fictional dual between our more recent teams and that batch.

It's hard to compare eras, but 1972 had Rick Sanders, a former gold medalist and multiple time silver medalist, get another silver, while Gable obviously won, Wayne Wells won, and the Peterson brothers also had a gold and a silver. Chris Taylor brought home a bronze. That's a tough team.

If you draw up fictional duals, you're making a lot of assumptions about fitting people into changing weight classes. Others would probably do a better job than I.

I hate the 6 weight classes with a passion, btw.

► Add to the Discussion