Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio state 2024-2025
Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 17, 2024

This is the most unsure I’ve ever been about the lineup but here is my best guess on how it will go

125-this could go either way. Mccrone may have been slightly ahead this year but I expect kilkeary to take over. If it’s a razor thin margin you go with Mccrone because he will get more bonus points. I’ll say Kilkeary and a 2-2 ncaas

133- I think Davino is better but not worth burning a redshirt. I think eventually Bouzakis moves up and so does Mendes. Bouzakis gets low AA this year. His big ten draw messed up his NCAA seeding.

141- mendes b2b champ. I expect an even more dominant Jesse. He was most improved in entire nation last year imo.

149- Ryan mentioned Cannon will be challenging Demilio here. Also sasso could be here but want to see it first. I hope it’s Cannon but will give the veteran the benefit of the doubt. Looking at the weight probably a round 12 finish again

157- a healthy Paddy I have big expectations for. He beat Downey and Keller this year and they both AA. I think this is his breakout year. 6th ncaas

165- this weight class cleared out big time. Even with him having the awful big ten tournament I see Hepner scoring decent points at ncaas. The kid from Michigan he beat is ranked 7 on wrestlestat. I will call a Bloodround finish. I really hope Penn states kid Barraclough enters the portal and we can steal him. This is his last year of eligibility and he’s definitely an AA favorite if he does. Wilcox Birden could push here also

174- kharchla finishes his career with a third place finish. Rocco redshirts. All the top 5 guys at 174/184 are seniors. Let them graduate then get three titles from Rocco. Hamiti and o toole will be moving here.

184- Rotogotzke Bloodrounds but picks up a lot of bonus on the way

197- this is the weight class I’m least confident in. I do think he will score some points but not challenging AA status. Need to bring someone in the room for more depth or challenge Geog. 2-2 ncaas

285-Feldman got noticeably better throughout the year. His season all depends on if Kirkvliet and Hendrickson come back. Hopefully they just move on. Even if they don’t I could see Feldman winning it. He closed the gap each time with Kirkvliet. Bastida may be his biggest challenge if they are out. Since I don’t know who is coming back I will say somewhere in top 3.

I think this team gets second place overall next year. Possibly two champs. Every weight class should score points this year. Still a ways behind Penn state but the gap starts shrinking this year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 17, 2024

Nick, correct me if I'm wrong but you have constantly harped on the fact Bouzakis has holes in his game while consistently ignoring the fact Kharchla has holes in his game.

I'd love to see Kharchla start and place 3rd. I think it's equally likely we see that type of finish out of Bouzakis.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 17, 2024

Bouzakis does have holes in his game. Davino I think will be better next year. I just don’t see Tom burning a year of Bouzakis eligibility when he is right there and can still AA. Bouzakis was seconds away from beating AA Shawver and gave Daton fix a tight match. He has a full offseason to make some adjustments. Just need to see more consistency from him. He took way too many bad losses. I can see him beating anyone outside of Crookham but could also lose to anyone in top 20. The staff priorities should be on him this off-season as he has the most potential that isn’t being utilized.

Carson is one of the best when he’s healthy. Last time he was healthy he nearly beat Otoole but got screwed by the refs. This surgery may be what he needed. A healthy Carson would have been in finals this year with Welshs draw also. The only thing that holds him back is his injuries. If Carson could make 165 he could be in finals. He has wins over Caliendo and Ramirez who are two of the top ranked guys going into next year. That could get them the max team points if so but still will be second place regardless.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on April 17, 2024

Hank, I agree with you on Carson. He did AA cant take that away. However, his career has been injury riddled. He beats the opponents he should most of the time and loses to the top tier. His style is more suited for Freestyle because of his riding limitations. Rocco has way more upside and head/ hand defense. How many times was Rocco taken down this season? Im willing to bet Carson has been taken down more times in one match. No way Carson finishes 2nd in that bracket this year.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 17, 2024

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Hank, I agree with you on Carson. He did AA cant take that away. However, his career has been injury riddled. He beats the opponents he should most of the time and loses to the top tier. His style is more suited for Freestyle because of his riding limitations. Rocco has way more upside and head/ hand defense. How many times was Rocco taken down this season? Im willing to bet Carson has been taken down more times in one match. No way Carson finishes 2nd in that bracket this year."

I think one of the knocks on Carson is he is predictable on his feet, he uses the dump or seems to only attack his opponents right leg. Anyone watching his videos sees that. Some times he puts in a good ride, other times he doesn't even try to ride???

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Hank, I agree with you on Carson. He did AA cant take that away. However, his career has been injury riddled. He beats the opponents he should most of the time and loses to the top tier. His style is more suited for Freestyle because of his riding limitations. Rocco has way more upside and head/ hand defense. How many times was Rocco taken down this season? Im willing to bet Carson has been taken down more times in one match. No way Carson finishes 2nd in that bracket this year."

There is no way Carson could have gotten second with that exact same draw? Who does he lose to? Ruth? Ruth was owned by Ethan Smith who Carson was better than. Wolack who was 18-7 last year? Rocco got one of the best draws of all time. He has world level defense you are correct. I believe he only surrendered three takedowns all season long. He also scored exactly one takedown in regulation in his five matches at ncaas. If he develops an offense he will be tough to beat, but was pretty limited this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

Agree. And saying he'd have made a run to the finals if he had Welsh's draw ignores his recent history in every big match. It also minimizes that Welsh wrestled very well in big matches.

Hey, I want Carson to do well. And I'd love to find out that his biggest issue was health and that he's improved as a result. But we don't know that. Not yet.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

I think we all love Carson around here, but expecting him to come back (again) from major injury and be back to his best stretches beyond optimism, IMO. It's been years since Kharchla was able to train correctly for a full season, and it shows in his wrestling.

Perhaps whatever procedure he had done will be effective and get him back near 100%, but injury-plagued wrestlers typically don't get gifted with a full healthy season 6 years into their college wrestling career.

His close shave with O'Toole was 3 years ago. The year after, he got teched.

On Welsh path to the finals he beat wask 4-2. Carson beat wask 10-3 this year. Second round he beat Murphy 4-1 sv. Carson beat him 6-0 this year. There is no evidence to me that welsh was better this year. Welsh benefited from the best draw possibly ever in a NCAA bracket. His highest win was against Wolak who triple dipped and finished 6th. I am pretty confident Carson would have made finals. Welsh was realistically probably the 5th best guy at the weight. He will get much better and can be a champ eventually but he still needs to develop more offense which he even admittedly said. A healthy Carson is very very good which people tend to forget. Can he stay healthy is the question for a full season? We will see how him paddy and sasso make their recoveries. Good thing is we have depth at all three of those weights. Do not count out Carson!!!!

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

I'm not counting him out, just trying to be realistic. If he's able to make a full recovery and come back strong next year that's obviously the optimal scenario.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

Willie Saylor says it’s Ohio State or Penn State for Blaze.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

Curious who will coach him this weekend at trials.

Rumor he is at ORTC all the time so could Lou or Logan be in his corner?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 18, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Willie Saylor says it’s Ohio State or Penn State for Blaze."

Difficult challenge to overcome PSU. Hope the Bucks can land him.

Looks like Carter Starrocci will be coming back next year. Cael is talking him into wrestling 197. He is 60/40 coming back he just said. I hate these Covid super seniors.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 19, 2024

Wrestle 197 and avoid Keck. Good decision.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next