Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Comparison of Messenbrink and DeSanto
Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

Saw an interesting comparison come up on another site regarding Messenbrink being a savvier version of DeSanto.

There is some overlap in tactics.

That shoulder to the shin on the out of bounds trying to lever the joint looks and sounds familiar. It preceded JB's shove to the back of the head.

I do like most of his wrestling but certainly could do without the nonsense.

He hasn't hit a flying kimura, but some of the things he does are borderline bush.

Was surprised to see Cunningham jawing Burroughs after the match.

At the end of the day, our DNA makes us tribal and blind to the whole story. Most people like to interpret the story based on feels.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

The knucklehead move in the finals not knowing the score will alone take a long time to live down.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

I wanted to hear Askren's thoughts on that match given his personal relationship with Mesenbrink so tuned in to FRL.

Ben basically said Mitchell deserved anything Burroughs gave to him. Paraphrasing his words, but he all but said MM is a dirty wrestler at times and is looking to fight. Talked about how he sort of had to beat that out of him over time because a younger version of Mesenbrink was prone to losing his cool and going way over the line.

Personally I think MM felt a little overmatched and went out of his way to try to muck it up in order to compensate, figuring his best chance was in a dirty scrap.

JB has dealt with international wrestlers using the same playbook for more than a decade. This whole saga gets way less attention if it doesn't take place in Happy Valley with the crowd getting involved.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

Brian-
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate Ben giving an objective view rather than being tribal.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

Did anyone else think that Mesenbrink’s tactics worked?

Hear me out…I agree with the opinion above that he was overmatched and used the chippy stuff to take Burroughs out of his game, even the playing field with a guy who’s better than you…kind of a revamped, more palatable “Iowa Style”. What surprised me was how well it worked. That bout should’ve been a tech midway through the second period, instead Burroughs seemingly lost his composure and Mesenbrink was able to lose a bout by a competitive score.

Someone above also mentioned that Burroughs had seen this playbook from international wrestlers for some time now. If that’s the case, you’d think he would handle it better? I feel like after that match, Burroughs was ripe for being knocked off by someone like Nolf. It was kind of a team effort, Mesenbrink definitely softened up Burroughs for the Nolf win.

I want to be clear, Jordan Burroughs is a national treasure and has forgotten more wresting than I’ll ever know.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 23, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Did anyone else think that Mesenbrink’s tactics worked?

Hear me out…I agree with the opinion above that he was overmatched and used the chippy stuff to take Burroughs out of his game, even the playing field with a guy who’s better than you…kind of a revamped, more palatable “Iowa Style”. What surprised me was how well it worked. That bout should’ve been a tech midway through the second period, instead Burroughs seemingly lost his composure and Mesenbrink was able to lose a bout by a competitive score.

Someone above also mentioned that Burroughs had seen this playbook from international wrestlers for some time now. If that’s the case, you’d think he would handle it better? I feel like after that match, Burroughs was ripe for being knocked off by someone like Nolf. It was kind of a team effort, Mesenbrink definitely softened up Burroughs for the Nolf win.

I want to be clear, Jordan Burroughs is a national treasure and has forgotten more wresting than I’ll ever know."

Hearing it put that way, I think you're right that it worked to a certain extent. Burroughs has encountered tactics like that before and usually doesn't retaliate. Being a JB fan it kills me to think that getting thrown off in that round may have got him off course for the Nolf match.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 25, 2024

I don't know if the tactics worked or if Burroughs just slowed it down due to being tired.

► Add to the Discussion