Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: So Who's Running Ohio State Wrestling...
Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 9, 2024

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"I see it differently simply because of the 4 time 159-0 vs. 2 time and getting pinned in the finals one year."

Collegiately I agree with you. Overall icon status for today's kids, JB and D.T. are it -- they never even saw Cael wrestle. That makes a huge difference."

Agree with you 100%. Cael was a college legend but never won world gold. David is on a short list of guys who have won NCAA, World, and Olympic titles.

I agree even more with the fact that kids today never saw Cael wrestle. When I started coaching the club at the University of Akron in 2014 I had a kid who asked "Who's Rulon?" I had an underclassmen this year who didn't know who Logan Stieber was - I almost threw him off the balcony, until he told me that he didn't even start wrestling until 2017..."

This is fun because this is one of those debates we will likely have an answer to in 2-3 years. My initial comment was in relation to recruiting. There are some measurable with that. I am not convinced Cael’s iconic status will suffer a lot long term because of D.T.. If he retires, different story.

I grew up with Gable being the icon. I think on some level he still resonates. But I never thought anyone would approach him. I think Cael certainly has. Clearly PSU is what Iowa was in the 80s-90s: the place for top recruits to go to win titles.

I simply don’t see that with D.T., not now and I don’t think ever. We will see as I like him. I hoped he would have made it to Paris. We need OSU to be near the top again — after TOSU.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 9, 2024

I agree with most of what you typed, Roe. I do not think D.T. is on Cael's level, and I do not see him reaching it anytime soon.

If I ask kids on my HS team about wrestlers they've heard of in their time in the sport, almost all have mentioned Cael. None have mentioned D.T.. (Sadly, none of them knows of Logan Stieber either, but I digress.) I have heard mentions of Gable Steveson, Dan Gable (probably getting this from their (over)zealous dad), Brock Lesnar, and even Spencer Lee. It might be a "window of time" thing.

Note: They know darn good and well who Tommy Rowlands is. No one makes the team without passing the 25 questions, two-part essay quiz. ;-)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2024

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"None have mentioned D.T."

Hard to believe not one kid mentions the most exciting US wrestler of the past 6 years and a consensus P4P best in the world the past 2 years. They are missing out.

There is a reason the M2 training center, in a couple years, attracted freaks like Haines and Kasak.

Think of who in the US has ever been considered the P4P best in the world? Smith, Burroughs, Snyder, Taylor. I think Gable, Monday and Shultz may have been and that's it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 9, 2024

I'd throw Lee Kemp in there but your point is valid. Remember, if Kemp isn't forced to boycott in 1980, he's probably a 3x World Champ, an Olympic gold medalist and a World Bronze. At that time, he'd have been considered the best wrestler in US history.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'd throw Lee Kemp in there but your point is valid. Remember, if Kemp isn't forced to boycott in 1980, he's probably a 3x World Champ, an Olympic gold medalist and a World Bronze. At that time, he'd have been considered the best wrestler in US history."

He may have been; one of the biggest heartbreaks of US Wrestling -- right there with Kolat IMHO.

But I don't know if he was considered the P4P best in the world because of the Belaglasov's of the world -- and I was only 3 to 9 when he was competing. :)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on May 10, 2024

Seems a lot of thoughts on someone's icon status has to do with your age. Taylor has been absolutely spectacular at every level for the last 20+ years, dating back to elementary school in all likelihood.

I don't think there is anyone in history who has been arguably the USA's best pound-for-pound wrestler at literally EVERY level of competition from elementary school through senior level. Most that are the best p4p in the country in elementary school fizzle long before they reach the Olympics. Logan Stieber may have been able to make that claim as well, but he stopped competing in 2018, a time when his contemporaries (Dake, Taylor) started making their tremendous senior level runs.

It's not only the results he gets, it's the spectacularly dominant, high scoring manner in which he does it... including in the World/Olympic finals.

I agree that I wouldn't bet on Taylor rising to the level of Gable or Cael in coaching, but no one would have bet on either of them to do that either. You can't have that expectation of anyone who is just starting out their coaching career. However, going into it, I think Taylor is in a pretty comparable stature to Gable and Cael at the beginnings of their coaching careers.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 11, 2024

With the season change from winter to spring, there are more birds in the air.

One little birdie informed me that Tom Ryan was at practice yesterday. I doubt he’s drilling live currently, but I’d have to think it’s great having him in the room.

Tweet tweet.

Last edited by Mark Niemann on May 11, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 11, 2024

Tom Ryan is in the room? Why do I picture the knight from Monty Python with all his limbs cut off screaming for someone to fight him?

Seriously, that's great news.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 13, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Tom Ryan is in the room? Why do I picture the knight from Monty Python with all his limbs cut off screaming for someone to fight him?

Seriously, that's great news."

I can see this as well. Indomitable spirit!

Scott Clemmons added to this discussion on May 13, 2024

And here is the pic with proof. Great seeing Ryan there.

But these pics are always interesting to see who else is in the room. Kollin, Kharchla, etc.
https://twitter.com/wrestlingbucks/status/1790066295192375331

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 14, 2024

Three observations from that picture:

1. Great to see Tom back

2. Kollin next to Feldman looks big

3. If who I think is Paddy, no way he is 157 this year, is he? To me, he looks bigger than Carson.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on May 14, 2024

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

3. If who I think is Paddy, no way he is 157 this year, is he? To me, he looks bigger than Carson."

Having stood next to them at various events, I was always amazed by how small Carson is compared to his weight.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2