Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jason Johnstone v. Sean Nemec
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2007

A year ago, we were debating whether a St. Eds stud, Lance Palmer, could beat out Jason Johnstone for the starting spot at 149 lbs. Many of us assumed that Johnstone's experience would prevail and Palmer would eventually redshirt.

So much for conventional wisdom.

Now, it's another St. Eds stud, Sean Nemec, that arrives to challenge Jason Johnstone for a starting spot.

What do people think this time around?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 12, 2007

My first question would be...has Nemec recovered fully from his surgery?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2007

Compartment syndrome typically responds well to surgery. I'd assume he's fine.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

I think a big piece of this will have to do with whether or not Johnstone has been able to add "good weight" or whether he will continue to be a 149 wrestling up at 157 (much has been made of Johnstone's high metabolism and inability to gain weight). I was lucky enough to attend numerous OSU matches last year and was impressed with Johnstone. He was very close to numerous top level studs (Becker comes to mind) but also lost to some less highly touted wrestlers. In the matches I watched Johnstone seem to be able to get in on his leg attacks almost at will but had trouble finishing (presumably due to weight/strength differences). Nemec is a stud who certainly has the horsepower to go with top level 157's but I think a bigger Johnstone wins the spot on experience, technique, and quickness. Either way I think the competition will make both guys better. BTW I was one that thought Johnstone would win the 149 wrestle off this year and force Palmer to RS so what do I know.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

If I'm not mistaking, the wrestle offs will be at the Coaches Clinic again. tNDG and Co. are doing it right!

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

I may be wrong but I don't think a wrestleoff at the coaches clinic should or will determine a starter for the season, but more for that point in time. I remember seeing Palmer beat Johnstone at that wrestleoff last year, just as I remember seeing Johnstone beat Lance at the MSU Open. If I remember correctly Johnstone volunteered himself to move up after Patrovich was put out for the season in that tournament. That alleviated a need for any continuing wrestleoffs between Johnstone and Palmer. That being said, it was obvious that Palmer improved a great deal over the course of last season, while Johnstone struggled at the higher weight. I'm hoping Johnstone will be succesful in gaining good weight and strength for the coming season. If this is the case I think he will again represent TOSU at 157, but much more succesfully. This will allow a redshirt year for Nemec which will be beneficial down the road for both himself and the program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I think a big piece of this will have to do with whether or not Johnstone has been able to add "good weight" or whether he will continue to be a 149 wrestling up at 157 (much has been made of Johnstone's high metabolism and inability to gain weight). I was lucky enough to attend numerous OSU matches last year and was impressed with Johnstone. He was very close to numerous top level studs (Becker comes to mind) but also lost to some less highly touted wrestlers. In the matches I watched Johnstone seem to be able to get in on his leg attacks almost at will but had trouble finishing (presumably due to weight/strength differences). Nemec is a stud who certainly has the horsepower to go with top level 157's but I think a bigger Johnstone wins the spot on experience, technique, and quickness. Either way I think the competition will make both guys better. BTW I was one that thought Johnstone would win the 149 wrestle off this year and force Palmer to RS so what do I know."

I think you're right on the mark with your assessment of Johnstone's ability.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

If Nemec is 100% healthy I think he will give Johnstone all he can handle. However I think right now that Johnstone has 3 years of college wrestling under his belt and if he is up at 157 fully I think he would win.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

"If he's up at 157 fully"....that's the question. Otherwise, over time, the matchup favors the larger Nemec.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Hank,
"the larger Nemec" u say? i don't think so--- he weighed in at state at 3 under for the 160 weight class. Nemec not tall either, Johnstone is older and rangier and taller.

Nemec has long since recovered from surgery on both forearms, has 10 inch scars on each --- when i saw them i told Sean when he puts the collar tie on a guy that wrestler is gonna think "Nemec has either been in Rikers Island or Fallujah?" Sean said he feels fine.

in a way would be nice to see Johnstone hold the spot, he was very accomplished in high school, he is older and has paid his dues-- would give Nemec a redshirt year which will help in long run. But i have feeling the wrestleoff is gonna be very close .

Sean Nemec is a bad azz, had heckuva good year when you remember he couldnt hold a grip because of "compartmentalized syndrome".

Third at Junior nationals freestyle a year ago, beating Scott Winston for 3rd, & beating an ALL STAR group in his pool: Medina of Blair he beat easily--- he beat Caldwell the NC state kid who almost beat Ryan Lang at NCAAs--- he beat Letters from PA, several others i cant remember but it was a brutal pool he was in. Pretto, Civan, Sponseller , Medina, Nay and a few other studs DNP in this weight class .

Nemec strong as an ox, aggressive, and for a guy who is known for being good on his feet, Nemec has very nice Turk on top too. Needs work on bottom though as of last season, could be Johnstone's edge ??

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

BP:
I think Hank is talking about the fact that while Nemec weighed in 3 under (which means 157), it has been reported that Johnstone has trouble putting on weight to even get to 157. Given that his other option (if LP wasn't there) would be 149, I think it is fair to say Nemec is bigger.

I agree with you, though, that it would be nice to see the upperclassman get the spot.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

Having watched Johnstone last season, it was obvious he had a horsepower problem when matched up with his Big Ten Comp. Johnstone tries to use guile and technique to overcome size. Sometimes he succeeded.

My opinion is that a stronger Nemec, seemingly more suited size-wise for the weight class, has the advantage in the long run at winning the spot. Weighing in lite at state doesn't mean much. Lots of reasons why that happens.

Let me make clear that I am a Johnstone fan. I've enjoyed watching him since he gave Mark Moos a harder than expected time in the state finals as a soph.

Moreover, his collegiate career has been tricky. He was thrown into the lineup as a true frosh, gave a defensible effort, and was expected to redshirt a season before taking over a starting spot. Then, the staff that recruited him, turned around and brought in Lance Palmer. Now, they've brought in Nemec.

Keep in mind that Johnstone's decision to attend OSU was heralded at the time as he was one of two NE Ohio studs (the other being Jaggers) that chose Ohio State. His arrival was a coup for the Bucks. And his "reward" has been to have two St Eds studs brought in to compete with him for a spot. Not to mention that he was probably one of the wrestlers that Ryan requested give back money to help the very recruiting process that has made his career more difficult.

If Johnstone feels a bit betrayed, it's understandable. But...

Presumeably, he's getting a lot of money to attend OSU for education and wrestling. And, it's big-time college athletics. These things, while a bit unsavory, do occur.

Bottom line: He's a tough kid who's job is to earn a spot in the lineup.

FWIW: I'd love to see him have marvelous success over the next two seasons.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

I agree 100% with your post Hank. Though Jason has been all about the team it's up to him to win his spot. I, too, hope he does. I think that if he beats out Nemec that he will be making an appearance at the NCAA's.

► Add to the Discussion