Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Wrestling with the Olympic Games in China...
Deke Gunsolley added to this discussion on April 8, 2008

With the growing controversy in regards to China's political & social structure, let's see some thoughts about how you feel we as American's should stand.
(ie: Should we boycot the games?, Should we go and make a united stand [such as the two American's did in Mexico by raising their fists in support of racial equality]. Should we do nothing?)
What is our responsiblity as free American citizens & athletes regarding this issue?

***Harry... I would honestly love to read your opinion.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2008

Loaded topic...

If we learned one lesson in 1980, it's don't screw the athletes. Russ Hellickson and Lee Kemp, among others, lost their opportunity to compete because Pres. Carter wanted to make a statement. It accomplished nothing positive. Nothing changed because of it and the athletes of the West in 1980 and the Soviet Bloc in 1984 were the ones that suffered.

China has no business in Tibet and it's heartening to see that there are people throughout the world using this moment to protest a monstrous wrong. But a boycott hurts the athletes and only increases the resolve of the perpetrators.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 9, 2008

Don't ruin it for the athletes. The Olympics is about all the athletes that have worked their entire life to reach the pinnacle of this sport.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 9, 2008

Perhaps I don't get the full impact of boycotting an Olympic game. Perhaps behind closed doors it has some diplomatic impact. However, to me it looks more like the act of an arrogant kid taking his ball and glove and going home. What are we saying to the world by doing this? "Sorry but since we strongly disagree w/ your actions we won't give you or the rest of the world the honor of competing against us." If we weren't there, that would mean some poor guy/girl who might never see the Olympic medal podium otherwise would actually get to taste Olympic glory because we aren't there to hog all the medals. I don't think it would have the intended message. We would just end up looking like a bunch of spoiled brats and our athletes would be the ones left paying for our political actions. Sports and politics should NEVER be mixed. Things never end up good when they are.

Todd Vennis added to this discussion on April 9, 2008

Sadly for the summer athletes the only reason this appears to be an issue is election year politics.

While no reasonable person, who believes in the concept of natural rights, can justify China's presence in Tibet the fact that this is now an issue is most definitely election year politics. The Olympics were awarded to Beijing almost 10 years ago. China has controlled Tibet for much longer than that. If those calling for some form of boycott, who have the power to make it happen, should have come forward then and made this a priority then. That would have been the reasonable thing to do. The athletes then could have prioritized other events or chose other life paths. I have often heard Bob Golic state that he was lucky he chose the NFL in 1979 over pursuing olympic wrestling. He would have been a serious contender to make the team and his commitment would have been for nothing. Therefore this is not the time to even consider anything more than perhaps making a symbolic protest at the opening ceromonies and that should be left up to the individual athlete. I think it would be more of a statement that The United States, as the beacon of human freedom, should live up to the Olympic Ideal and make these Olympics Apolitical.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 9, 2008

In my opinion, the 1980 Winter Olympics, that were not boycotted by the Soviet Union, had more of an impact on the Cold War than did our Summer Olympic boycott. The victory of the USA hockey team over the unbeatable Soviets triggered a change in opinion that many Americans (and other nations) had toward the Soviet Union. They were not evil machines from an evil nation. They were human beings, just like the rest of us. They could be (and should be) talked to and dealt with as such. The Olympic Games helped foster that point of view and when it did, it opened up new avenues of communication. Maybe this Olympic Games will do the same.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 9, 2008

I don't think people look at the Chinese people like they are cruel and intolerable as many of them want to be free from that opressive life. The argument lies within the Chinese government and the record they have in regards to human rights. It's the censorship that the goverment has on the people that many also have an argument with.

Me personally I love the Olympics and boycotting never does anything productive. When workers go on strike who does it hurt them or the company, almost always the workers. Let the games play themselves out and let the wack jobs protest everything and be a side show.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

Dan, I was not trying to compare the Cold War to Chinese human rights travesties. I was just using the '80 Winter Olympics as an example of a non-boycotted Olympics bringing about change more so than a boycotted one. My post was just to point out that the Games brought about change in the Soviet Union at the highest levels and opened up new lines of communication. If these Games do that (open new lines of communication with the Chinese govt.) then it would be worth it to go, even if we didn't win a single medal. Your worker's strike is an excellent analogy.

Again, the big question is not what we should do about the Olympic Games, it is what we should do period and why did it take some people this long to discuss this issue?

Last edited by Scott Shaw on April 10, 2008; edited 2 times in total

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

When workers go on strike, it's their choice, their call. Whether it hurts them or not, they get to vote with their fellow union members on what they think is the best course of action. A boycott is something very different. It's someone completely univolved in the situation telling athletes they can't pursue their life's work because the government wants to make a political point. Bad business.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

I realize a boycott and a strike are two different things but I thought that analogy was appropriate since often times Unions strong arm the workers into going on to strike. I don't know if we will see China in a new light as they possibly have a PR nightmare on there hand if they block media access like they have a tendency to do.

My feeling is just let them compete and enjoy the Olympics.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

There will not be a boycott of these olympics. China is a major trade partner to most western nations and many huge multi-nationals do big business there. We may not like their govt (although I suspect big business loves a fascist society when it allows them to make money) but there's a strong relationship between China and business leaders of western nations throughout the world. No way that gets jeopardized.

What may occur is that some western leaders may not attend the ceremonies in a bow to the political pressure of their own people. That's about it.

Incidentally, China is p-ssed about all the negative attention. In their warped view, it's dishonorable. In my view, what goes around, comes around.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

Hank

You are right no one is going to boycott the games. Many may protest but none will boycott. I do know that the Prime Minister of Great Britian stated he will not be on hand for the opening ceremonies.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

I like what Scott is saying here. Where was the public outcry 10 years ago? Many of us average Americans are so short sighted we don't look into what will happen 10 yrs down the road. It is a here and now mentality. That is why China is the protest of the moment. After the games, I wonder how many of those protesters will still maintain their cause or what they will move on to next. High ranking public officials not attending the games' opening ceremony is also poor form, in my opinion. Let's be honest, who are those people there for? The Chinese government? Of course not. What they are REALLY there for (or should be) is a public display of American support for our athletes. Those public officials are the face of America to our athletes. Not going only alienates our athletes needlessly. Again, what is accomplished by not attending the opening ceremony?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

The Olympics have lost so much of their luster, I am not sure how much it matters.

Beach volleyball and moguls skiing????? The flying tomato as an Olympic hero? To the athletes I would guess it is still important, but not really to the American people in general.

Deke Gunsolley added to this discussion on April 10, 2008

I have read all the comments posted here with interest.

I do have to admit that I'm surprised to read the opinion that we should do nothing... and here's why...

I, personally, am a free American citizen today because of the United States decision to help aid the South Korean government from a hostile take over from North Korean.

If that wouldn't have happened, I'd imagine that I would be forced to sing the praises of a dictator I deplore, punching out train parts for less than a penny a day in totally unsafe working environments, and eating rice cakes & water chestnuts for the rest of my life, with little to no medical health care system at all when I die of malnutrition and/or being "silenced" for voicing my distaste for the nutjob of a president.

I do not believe however, that we should boycott the games. I agree with some here that boycotting the games would defeat the purpose of all the hard work and efforts put forth by our American athletes who, in some cases, have trained their entire lives to participate for the chance to be truely the worlds best.

Some of you are correct when you state that politics should be left out of the games... but... the simple fact remains... that politics are a major part of the games...

I would fully endorse some kind of silent support for freedom in whatever way the athletes chose to do so.

Growing up I remember Nancy Regan on the televsion in her famous statement to America's youth... "Just Say No" (to drugs). There was a high school basketball player in my high school, who, in my opinion made the same statement in support of this effort... when he embossed the words "say" "no" on the back of his shoes...

I think that it would be that same kind of statement, without saying a word, if our American athletes, respresenting the United States Of America... were to make a similar gesture by putting something like... "support" "freedom"... or "live" "free"... somewhere on their gear...

Do our athletes have to make this "statement"... no.. of course they don't. And isn't that what we're taking for granted here? At least our representatives have that right to make that decision for themselves. Truely that's what freedom represents...

Thank you to all that posted. I appreciate your opinions.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next