Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Questions for David Armstrong
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 26, 2007

Saw you had a couple posts, so I want to throw a few questions your way about CS wrestling. As this forum is public, I'll understand that you may not be able to be forthcoming on some of these topics. Any answers you give will be appreciated.

1) What happened to Victer Crenshaw? He went from an "unknown" in high school to one of your best starters. Now he's gone. Why?

2) In a similar vein, Chris Barnhizer and Kyle Chittick, two of your bigger recruits for last season, are also no longer listed on the roster. Can you offer any explanation?

3) Mike Hurley has missed a lot of time the last few seasons with injuries. Is he healthy? I think all Viking fans would like to see him at 100% for his senior year.

4) Will Chris Hahn be back this season? He gave you guys a nice lift and obviously has a lot of talent.

5) There are a lot of frosh listed on your roster. Have you gotten a look at any of them? Has anyone impressed you?

6) Personal question--Your technique has improved tremendously since your frosh year, and you've gained a lot of experience--yet you seemed to wrestle more passively last season. Were you healthy? Is there another explanation? Or do you disagree with my assessment? Also, what are your goals for the season?

7) Robbie Michaels is one of your better recruits in recent years. My assumption is he'll be the starter at 157. How good do you think he can be?

8) The Vikings have a lot of experienced starters returning--You, Riggs, the Hurleys, Effner, Hahn, Goff. What kind of season do you feel the Vikes are capable of having?

David--thanks in advance for your consideration. If you choose not to answer, I'll understand. Ultimately, any insight you can provide into CS wrestling will be appreciated.

Hank

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 26, 2007

I'm not D.A. but I'll respond...

1. Victer wasn't exactly an unknown in high school. In NE Ohio he wasn't a big name because we were focused on our own, but he did very well at state in a tough class and at Senior Nationals (up two weight classes).

3. I agree. Seeing a healthy Hurley with the old funk would be great.

4. I ran into Chris a few times this summer and from what he told me he'll be ready to roll.

7. I'd assume Michaels will be the starter at 157 as well. He was slated as a 149/157 last season, but with his height I wouldn't doubt that he'll be at 157 for the long run.

8. The lineup is very talented and it should be a good season for the Vikings if everyone stays healthy.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 26, 2007

DC--Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crenshaw finished 4th at state as a senior. Then he had considerable success as a true frosh competing in D1. That's unusual.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 26, 2007

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"DC--Correct me if I'm wrong, but Crenshaw finished 4th at state as a senior. Then he had considerable success as a true frosh competing in D1. That's unusual."

I think he was third in a weight headed by Mike Davis and Josh Horne (Horne winning the title). Crenshaw beat Stevenson for fourth, after Stevenson upset Straughn coming back in the consis. Crenshaw and Straughn lost in the semis.

That gave Horne a first state title after three runner-up finishes, while Davis was coming off of a third at 135 the previous year if memory serves me right.

Crenshaw then competed at seniors at 152 (as opposed to 140 in the season) and completely shocked me by hitting the round of 12.

► Add to the Discussion