Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU projected lineup and NCAA finishes
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

Numerous threads discussed this earlier in the year but as the weight classes begin to shake out and Olympic RS are announced I think the picture becomes clearer. I am optimistic almost to a fault (every year I think the Tribe will win the series and the Browns will break .500 only to be let down) so my projections will be through Scarlet and Gray glasses.

125: Triggas - A stud who will benefit from Coach Rosselli and a bevy of capable lightweight workout partners (Touris, Harrington, Livingston). That said the Big 10 and the NCAA is loaded with studs returning. Triggas will need to improve on his feet to go with the top level guys. I see him hopefully sliding in to the NCAA's this year but eventually developing into a multiple time AA.

133: Enright - I gave my thoughts on the potential Enright vs. Humphrey wrestle off on another thread. I think whoever wins the spot will AA.

141: Jaggers - AA last year when he was not nearly 100% I think a fully healthy and conditioned J Jaggers contends for a national title. This guy has been a stud at every level and seems to have a great attitude, work ethic, workout partners, and coaching.

149: Palmer - A suprise AA last year and I think the best is yet to come. Lance won last year with great shot defense, mat wrestling, and alot of ball. I think his offensive leg attacks will improve making him even more dangerous. I see him finishing top 4 again but think he will have a difficult time with a healthy Schlatter and an eligible Metcalf. That said, I think by next year Palmer passes Churella and Guillespie (should he be at this weight).

157: Johnstone - I think Johnstone puts on some good weight and wins the spot. I see him qualifying for NCAA and winning matches but probably not AA this year. If Johnstone has not grown into the weight then Nemec is a great alternative who is capable of qualifying for NCAA.

165: Sponseller - I am really high on Sponseller and see him making an impact immediately. Much has been made about whether Sponseller's mat wrestling will be his downfall. I think if this is an area of deficiency that Sponseller and the coaches will recognize this and do what they need to do to correct. I think Colt AA's this year and eventually wins an NCAA title.

174: Picazo - If Picazo can make this weight and maintain some of the strength he had at 184 he will do well. As of 2 years ago Alex was not a great offensive wrestler but alot can change in that amount of time particularly with the quality of workout partners he has in the room.. I see him as a guy who could qualify and win matches at the NCAA tourney.

184: Pucillo - My favorite OSU wrestler to watch, I love Mike's great basic technique and positioning. A front headlock machine all coaches should have their young wrestlers study tape of Pucillo. I think Pucillo beats Kish/Varner this year and wins his first NCCA title with Herbert on ORS.

197: Bergman - By all accounts J.D. is a stud who should contend for an NCAA title this year. I worry that the weight cut effected his wrestling prior to the Big 10's. The guy I worry about for J.D. is phenominal rising sophmore Max Askren whose style seems to give Bergman trouble, A bevy of other returning studs will make 197 a weight to watch just as it was this year.

285: Morrison - Morrison has improved by leaps and bounds each year and I see no reason why this year would be any different. His competition in the room is improving with the additions of recruits Campbell and DiAgosta and the reported emergence and growth of Zach Weinrich. I see Morrison qualifying for NCAA.

By my count thats 4 guys who should be high AA (Jaggers, Palmer, Pucillo, Bergman) and 2 others who I think will AA (Enright, Sponseller). With contributions from others (Johnstone, Picazo, Morrison) at NCAA I see tOSU as a top 5 team. Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

Great synopsis, Scott. Here is my take on it...

125: Nikko Triggas (Freshman) - Qualifier.
133: T.J. Enright (Senior) or Reece Humphrey (Sophomore) - It's really a toss-up in my mind. Whoever is here will definitely qualify and could be an AA.
141: J Jaggers (Junior) - AA and title contender.
149: Lance Palmer (Sophomore) - AA and possible finalist.
157: Jason Johnstone (Junior) or Sean Nemec (Freshman) - Johnstone will be tough but it remains to be seen just how good Nemec will be at this level. Maybe he'll be ready to excel right away like Lance Palmer, but maybe not. We'll see. Either way we should have at least a qualifier at this class.
165: Colt Sponseller (Freshman) - Colt is a stud. AA contender.
174: Alex Picazo (Senior) - I just wonder if he can make the weight... if he does, he should qualify and if can retain his power, he could win some big matches.
184: Mike Pucillo (Sophomore) - AA and title contender, but it's going to be a harder road than it seems on paper.
197: J.D. Bergman (Senior) - AA and title contender.
285: Corey Morrison (Junior) or Zach Weinrich (Sophomore) - This will be interesting. Whoever starts should qualify.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 13, 2007

gentlemen---

.... only TWO true freshmen made AA at NCAAs this season, 2 !! just not likely even for Sponseller. don't know how he is on the mat since like alot of great Ohio wrestlers he has spent precious little time on the mat.

.... Palmer a high AA or as DC says a finalist ?? well could be-- certainly i am impressed with Lance Palmer BUT he NEEDS a go-to takedown to ever get into the finals. He doesnt have it yet. And 149, this is the wt from hell so his 4th not guaranteed again next season. Why not ???

The great Brent Metcalf moves in at 149, i don't doubt he wins it all. Ryan Lang a finalist at 141 moves up i hear. Add in returning champ Gillespie , runnerup Churella , 3rd placer Dustin Schlatter who we know can win it, plus AAs true freshman JP O'Connor, Matt Coughlin and Jordan Leen PLUS Cyler Sanderson who did not AA. The wt from hell.

....Morrison again at 285 ? i just get feeling we will see a change here, could the true freshman Jesse Campbell start ?? Beat Cameron Wade 3 of 5 during career, went 9 & 1 at Disney Duals losing only in OT to NHSCA national high school seniors champ Trice of Michigan. Campbell could be the steal of the recruiting class ?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Bob,
Please see disclaimer about my Scarlet and Gray colored glasses. It seems you are very high on Metcalf (with good reason). Who would you take between him and arch nemesis Dustin Schlatter?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

I think Schlatter would take the match with Metcalf he has 2 full seasons of college competition. He is a former NCAA champion and 2x AA I think he will be ready for what Metcalf brings him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

"Bob, Please see disclaimer about my Scarlet and Gray colored glasses. It seems you are very high on Metcalf (with good reason). Who would you take between him and arch nemesis Dustin Schlatter?"
----------------------------------------------------

Scott,
well we have Not seen Metcalf really in 2 years, whereas we have seen Dustin win it all once, then go into a offensive shell for some reason this past season and take 3d after very disappointing loss to Gillespie in semis. All season long i kept saying where is Dustins offense ? where is that great throw-by he used to win it all in 2006 ? Some said he had a knee injury, could be, but i myself don't know ?

i told Hank Kornblut aka SilverMedal on here and in emails last season ---and Hank can verify this --- that woe be if Dustin gets behind a ranked guy who is tough on top. i said i thought 2 guys could beat him, either Storniolo of Oklahoma or Gillespie of Edinboro , because both so great on top. Well what happened ? Gillespie gets first takedown at NCAAs in the semis and Dustin cant get his offense going and loses.

i have seen both Dustin & Metcalf in action every year they went to fargo too, btw, both dominating every opponent out there in BOTH styles.

saw both meetings between these 2 greats Dustin & Metcalf in high school-- at Medina where Metcalf survived a first period, where he was near pinned, because he had his shoulder out of bounds--- but as match went on he seemed to wear Dustin down some, then rode him out in OT.

And in NHSCA senior national finals where Dustin scored well early, rode Metcalf out and then held Metcalf's charge off in 3rd period and beat him by one point.

Two of the very greatest middlewts of this or maybe any era . Schlatter is slicker on his feet and has become very good on top too. BUT Metcalf just has unreal natural strength & stamina , he wears everyone down. Keeps coming at his opponent. Metcalf and Tom Brands are perfect match. i would pay $$$ to see those 2 in the Iowa rooom !!!!!!!

i predict Metcalf meets Dustin in the NCAA finals and very possibly wins it this season, i will go out on a limb and favor Metcalf 55-45 % to win NCAA title at 149 lb over a loaded field.

Nothing personal, i'm not dising anyone, i just think Metcalf is going to win it. i think he is HUNGRY and his style is perfect match at Iowa. Reminds me of Mark Ironside for those of you with memories.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Bob--who are you and when have we ever emailed each other? <smile>

Actually, not only do I agree with Bob regarding his assessment of Metcalf, but I think he does a fine job of throwing some cool water on the ardor of some of the predictions made.

Some thoughts:

--I love Palmer and he'll continue to be a stud. But merely repeating as an AA next year at 149 would be a monumental accomplishment. Metcalf, Dustin and Gillespie make this weight class brutal. Even if Gillespie moves up, J. Churella is a super stud in his own right. And if Lang moves up, that erases the dent left by the rumored departure of Gillespie. Plus there are so many other fine wrestlers at this wt--O'connor, Leen, Sanderson, Vallimont, Coughlin just to name some that quickly leap to mind. It's not inconceivable that almost any wrestler mentioned at this weight class could be a finalist--or not place at all.

--Pucillo is the best bet to win a title. Great bottom skills, good offense and defense on his feet--he's already beaten Todd three times and lost barely to Kish at the tourney. He's right there--although it would be intriguing to see him at 174. With Askren gone, I think his chances at this weight class would be equally good.

--Bergman has spent three seasons competing and he's still a hard guy to figure out. Can he beat anyone? Yes. He's proven it. But the true championship contenders usually show more consistency than he has as both a soph and a jr. Plus, he's lost his first rd matchup all three years he's competed at NCAA's. One observation--I think he wrestles better when he's not putting pressure on himself.

--Enright is a fine competitor but limits what he can accomplish by being too passive on his feet. I love his shots and wish he'd open it up. He's beaten some great people but he's usually a loser when matched up with top ten comp. That's a reflection of his style. He needs to make an adjustment to finish top 8. It would help if he'd work harder to ride. If you're always on your feet, and usually defensive, the stalling calls are more likely to be in your opponent's favor.

--Corey Morrison will end up as the starting 285 and continue his upward trend. His major limitation at 285 is obvious--size. But he's not afraid of a challenge and will add weight when the heat ebbs in the fall. Look for him to qualify for NCAA's next year. You can't coach heart and Morrison's is huge.

--A healthy Jaggers will be a pleasure to watch. I know he can make the cut and wrestle hard. But, can he wrestle with more power this season at 141? If he starts hitting his cradle again, that question will be answered.

--I've enjoyed watching Alex Picazo's progress over the last several years and admire him greatly for steadily improving after being forced into the lineup when he was a raw frosh. His junior season, he pulled a few nice upsets. Right now, I think he can give an effort similar to Chris Vondruska.

--The rest of the lineup (presumeably Triggas, Johnstone/Nemec and Sponseller) should be respectable. If Nemec ends up starting, that would put three true frosh in the lineup. I see Nemec as similar to Dave Rella in that he'll be pretty good right away because of how solid he is in all three positions. I also think he'll improve nicely over the course of the season.
Sponseller will have moments when he is spectacular but times when he looks very human. I think his performances could inspire some to overestimate his abilities particularly if he has some big wins right away. But, once the better wrestlers get exposed to his style, they'll slow him down and hammer him on top. Ultimately, he and Nemec both have great upside.

Triggas is more intriguing to discuss because he's going to have a lot of competition in the room from other solid frosh. Bo Touris, Pat Harrington and, perhaps, Will Livingston are not going to simply offer up the 125 spot to him without a fight (I know Livingston is supposed to redshirt but if he were clearly better than Triggas, it might alter that decision). Is it possible he could get beat out for the spot? Ultimately, I think he ends up as the 125 starter and will likely have a similar season to Livingston's (which was pretty good as a true frosh).

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Will Minnesota and and Iowa be meeting before NCAA's? Possibly national duals?

Hank,
u know i'm a big Nemec fan but he does need work on bottom, not strong in "all 3 positions" yet--- as of last season anyway . This is edge to Johnstone i think.

both Minn & Iowa are in NWCA college duals next season---as is Ohio St.

hank posts: "--A healthy Jaggers will be a pleasure to watch. I know he can make the cut and wrestle hard. But, can he wrestle with more power this season at 141? If he starts hitting his cradle again, that question will be answered. "

i agree Hank, ah yes the cradle --- i think J Jaggers taking 7th and AAing was big load off his shoulders at NCAAs. Heres a great hs wrestler dogged by injuries and big expectations.

i think J Jaggers makes 141 for sure and if Lang moves up as expected, then J has as good a shot at Winning NCAA title as anyone in that 141 weight class ---let's look at who is back? # 3 Charles Griffin, # 4 Nathan Morgan, # 5 Don Fisch, # 6 Brando Rader and # 7 Jaggers plus Tsirtsis & Caldwell who DNP. A deep wt but no one favorite.

# 4 Morgan beat Jaggers only 3-2 in 2nd round at NCAAs, Jaggers wrestled back to get into AA round and lost to # 6 Rader 8-6, but beat former Blair wrestler Meltzer for 7th place, 7-1.

Hank, no knock on Morrison at all, but i got a feeling some change will be forthcoming next season at 285. This freshman Jesse Campbell is good --- and big too.

Hank,
re Triggas, i think Ohio st got a gem.

2 points:
....in fargo a year ago, i talked to head coach Tom Ortiz of Arizona st, he was livid when i implied Triggas might go to a "midwest school". Ortiz said no way am i losing him.
....at NCAAs, i talk again to Ortiz, he just tells me flat out that "Triggas will be a Great wrestler at Ohio St, that he hasnt had the coaching he needed yet --- Ortiz says that the sky is the limit. We will see.

Is Jason Oliver of Easton PA a stud ? Triggas is 2 & 0 vs Oliver. Livingston will redshirt then come back at 133. Odds are certainly that Triggas starts at 125 this year, baring injury. ( i got to say it cause its true, if we hadnt brought Triggas two years in a row to the Ironman from Calif, Ohio st never would have thought to recruit him.)

well all i recall on here last year was unbrideled optimism about Dustin even though he seemed to lose his offense during the season, some even practically guaranteed him as a 4xer and u know who u are---- i hope he gets that throw-by back that he had in 2006. Maybe he did have knee injury, i don't know ?

like Lance Palmer, same for Dustin, to win NCAAs got to have that go-to move when things are tight.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"well all I recall on here last year was unbrideled optimism about Dustin even though he seemed to lose his offense during the season, some even practically guaranteed him as a 4xer and u know who u are---- I hope he gets that throw-by back that he had in 2006. Maybe he did have knee injury, I don't know ?"

I said if he ever lost again, which I didn't think he would, it would only be to Metcalf. I was wrong, oh well. And yes, he said in an interview at the NCAA tournament that he did have a knee injury: a torn MCL or something like that. I still think if he ever loses again it will be to Metcalf.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 14, 2007

Leen and Gillespie are both reported to be going up. It will not make the weight that much easier for DS or LP. I also think that there is no advantage in strength for Metcalf over DS. In fact, I think DS has an advantage there.

My opinion, for what its worth, is that Lang will not do so well against DS. Keep in mind what happened to Esposito when he tried some strange stuff against him. He got stuffed (I'm referring to the second match).

Clearly Metcalf had an advantage over DS in stamina in high school but I don't think it is there anymore. Lack of stamina was the main reason Mike Miller beat Schlatter in HS. Neither of Schlatter's collegiate losses were because he gassed. This will be a great match (or, hopefully, matches) but I wouldn't bet against DS.

It will be very interesting to see what Metcalf has learned offensively. People pound on Schlatter but I thought Metcalf's offense was extremely limited in HS. Metcalf is very strong and very quick but he basically tried to shove DS around in both matches.

One issue for these two is that the margin for error for either of them is extremely small at this level. Also the style of wrestling may be an issue. I think Metcalf's accomplishments have come in freestyle but the open folkstyle competitions he has participated in have resulted in no championships (if I'm wrong feel free to correct me).

I also think incentive will be in play. Schlatter has a title and a 3rd. If DS wins I think it would really show us something about his character, if not his talent.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

Remember that Greg Jones lost his sophomore year at NCAA and didn't even place. He then came back to win 2 more NCAA titles winning 3 all together.

I think that Lang when he moves up will have some trouble with Schlatter and Metcalf. Metcalf tech falled him in freestyle at JR Duals in 2003. I think that Schlatter should be able to rebound from the MCL injury and win NCAA's again.

I have heard that Gillepsie and Leen are both moving up too. Gillepsie was a good size 149 too last year.

At 149 you have Churella, Schlatter, Palmer and Connor all for sure coming back. Then you throw in Metcalf and Lang moving in too that is going to be a tough weight even without Gillepsie and Leen in that mix.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

Adam Hall of Boise State will be in the mix.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next