Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: OSU projected lineup and NCAA finishes
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 15, 2007

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Adam Hall of Boise State will be in the mix."

Boise State and Oregon State are going to be very tough in a few years and beyond, putting wrestling on the map in the Northwest USA.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

Also in the mix at 149 will be Bubba Jenkins from Penn State. He was an NCAA qualifier last year wrestling up at 157. Has had a great off season winning FILA Juniors and the Jr. World Team trials. 149 is a sick weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

Gary--what happens to Vallimont? He was the starter last year at 149 and no slouch either.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

There has been talk of Vallimont going to 157.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on July 16, 2007

Vallimont has gotten pretty big it looks like he will be up at 157. I think Penn State will look like this:

125 - McKnight/Pataky
133 - Haas
141 - Strayer
149 - Jenkins
157 - Vallimont
165 - Rella
174 - Erwin
184 - Ward/Bomberger/Pat Flynn
197 - Davis/Platt
285. - Laboranti/Tighe/Davis

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 17, 2007

thats a good lineup, i wonder when new recruits both 3X state champs 140 Molinaro from Nj and 152 Darling from PA think they can get into it ??? 197 Platt can redshirt and get in next year after Davis is gone. The door looks open for 285 Cameron Wade.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 17, 2007

Penn State is on a recruiting roll and continues to stock up with several top talents each off season. I think Ohio State has recruited similarly well for the last few years and is maybe a year behind. Both these schools are rapidly becoming major powerhouses and are doing what it takes to contend for the national title. I think the Bucks have one advantage, however, and that's Tom Ryan and his staff--if anyone's comparing.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

Bob -

Tough to say where or when those guys might break into the lineup. It becomes even more crowded now with the verbal of Wright. Molinaro is short and stocky, I don't see him getting any bigger looks like will be either 141 or 149. Darling and Wright are much harder to predict both are tall and kind of lanky. Those guys, depending upon how they grow could end up anywhere from 157 to 184. It is great to have that much talent in the room and these guys will be pushing each other for starting spots. Penn State also has some flexibility in that both Jenkins and Rella have red shirt years available. It will be fun to see how it pans out.

Tough to compare the coaching staffs. I think that Sunderland, Hart, Hughes, and Derlan are going to do great things with the talent that they have assembled and I have the utmost confidence in them. Tom Ryan has also assembled an excellent staff. Every one of those guys is a class act and will do a tremendous job.

I think we have the makings of an outstanding rivalry over the next few years between these teams. I hope that in the near future they are fighting it out for the Big Ten and NCAA titles.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

I see a great deal of talk concerning individual accomplishments, but I was just wondering where some of you are thinking tOSU will finish up in the team race.

In all honesty, I can see the race tightening with every post concerning top contenders in each weight class.

Is top 10 a lock? (with the previously mentioned names)
Is top 5 out of the question?
Is top 3 wishful thinking?
Is a National Championship another year away? (Wait til next year!!!)

Your thoughts...

John Fayette added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

....Morrison again at 285 ? I just get feeling we will see a change here, could the true freshman Jesse Campbell start ?? Beat Cameron Wade 3 of 5 during career, went 9 & 1 at Disney Duals losing only in OT to NHSCA national high school seniors champ Trice of Michigan. Campbell could be the steal of the recruiting class ?

Yea. Go Jesse. What a great guy. I'm pulling for him.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

Penn State has a verbal from Quentin Wright (Bald Eagle Area PA) already for the early period this coming year. He's a 165-184 projection. Along with a Winston and Welch type in that weight range, he's the best this class offers there.

My look at OSU:

125- Too much depth around the country for the OSU starter, be it Triggas or Livingston. Getting a qualifier to NCAA would be a refreshing positive for OSU in the opening class.

133- Enright has been all over the place in his college career, and I hope he can have a stable last year that involves AA contention.

141- Jaggers AA'd last year. If he can stay healthy and hold the weight, you would think he's in the hunt to win it all - especially with Lang supposedly moving up.

149- This is an absolute zoo of a weight, even with the defection of Gillespie. My gut reaction is to say that Palmer will start the year ranked 5th at best - Schlatter, Metcalf, Lang, and Churella 1-4. Just shows you how sickly tough the weight is.

157- Johnstone or possibly Nemec as a true frosh, though Johnstone is more likely to get it. This is another brutal weight nationally - and moving Gillespie into the weight makes things no better. If OSU could qualify to nationals here, it would be a net positive.

165- Sponseller as a true frosh is the early choice. True freshmen from Ohio at this weight do not have histories of great success here. Dave Rella and Dave Erwin, wrestlers that were probably more on the surface prepared for collegiate wrestling - in terms of match exposure and competition - both failed to make NCAA's in their true freshman year (yes - each did get very good wins in that freshman year). Therefore, an NCAA bid would be very positive for Colt and OSU.

174- Can Pucillo or Picazo make the cut down here? Whichever one does is probably in the AA hunt immediately. Pucillo could position himself among the elite here.

184- Even with Herbert taking an Olympic redshirt, this is not an easy weight nationally - Kish and Varner still return, and are the favorites here. Yes, Pucillo can do battle with them, but the season bares out those two as being better.

197- Bergman is one of a litany of wrestlers that will compete for the gold here. Even with Glenn's season and championship, he is by no means a lock to repeat.

285- This is probably the weakest spot in the Ohio State lineup; however, the national patterns mean that this may not be the least productive spot. I personally do not see Campbell as a kid you want to start immediately in the B10. I'd rather see Morrison do battle - more seasoned collegiately, and I think has better range and mobility.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

....fact is at 197 Josh Glenn defending NCAA champ from American is "Special", would take quite an extraordinary performance by someone else to defeat him.

....so many are giving 133 to Enright, but i see Humphrey as very very possible. Two yrs ago 2nd on team in both wins & takedowns his true freshman year. That didnt happen by accident.

....saw Nemec today at Jr national camp, he's not on the team but working out--- the boy looks BAD , as in very tough to beat. Johnstone gonna have a battle on his hands with this freshmen. You've seen the perfect ab's commercial ? Nemec's got them and he is weighing 165 right now, just where he needs to be. He is a powerhouse to look at.----- i keep going back to that nice Turk he has on top, for a kid with his body type and style of wrestling.

....at 125, they think Triggas can start AND have a good season. Livingston is going to redshirt then emerge at 133 in a year.

....at 285, look out for freshman Campbell, the staff is very very high on this kid. And he is big.

.... Mr Corroto, i look forward to a great season from your step-son Penn St 165 Dave Rella, he and 174 Dave Erwin both.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

Thanks Bob. I know that both Dave's were not happy with the results of their freshman seasons amd they have both been working hard this summer.

I see the Buckeyes, barring injury, to be a top 10 team this year. I don't think they lost any NCAA placement points from last year's team. I think they have a legitmate title contender in Mikey P. and several others with high AA potential like Lance and J. Top 5 may be a little bit of a stretch this year, but the program is definetly coming.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

Dave and Dave may have been disappointed but I thought both were impressive as true frosh. It's not as if either wasn't competitive with the strong upperclassmen in their conference. They just needed a bit of experience--and now they have it. My guess is both are top 12 guys by season's end with shots to AA.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 18, 2007

I think Erwin at 174 could have a huge year this year. He had a good year up until Big 10's his frosh year. I think Rella should have a breakout year after getting a Big 10 season underneath him.

I think the Buckeyes with another recruiting class like last year will be right where they need to be to make a run for National dominance.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2