Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ray Porter Memorial Service
Bill McGrain added to this discussion on May 20, 2008

There will be a Memorial Service for Ray Porter at Berkshire High School this Thursday May 22nd (5:00 p.m.) at Berkshire High School. Ray was lost in an auto accident Sunday.

Ray was a star for Ashland University from 1982-86 and an All-American for Ashland. He has coached his sons recently at Berkshire High School, Dustin, Travis, and Tyler. Travis was a State Champion this past winter.

The link below will provide information on the Memorial.

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19702958&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21847&rfi=6

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Vash added to this discussion on May 20, 2008

My heart goes out to the Porter family.Ray was one of the best wrestling fathers that anyone could be.A class act who impacted many people in the Berkshire program and many outside the program.Ray will be badly missed in the Ne wrestling community.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on May 20, 2008

The Berkshire group and the Porter's stayed at my wife's hotel and ate at her restaurant a few times during the state tournament this year. We didn't know them personally, but my wife had a couple of conversations with them that weekend and they seemed to be a very nice group of people.

Our prayers and thoughts will be with the Porter's and the whole Berkshire wrestling community.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 21, 2008

Very sad news. I'm old enough to remember the many great wrestlers from Cardinal High School. Ray Porter was among the best (unless I'm really confused...my memory is not photographic). Hard to believe someone so young and successful has already passed. My condolences to the family.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on May 21, 2008

Ray was a very dedicated father and coach. He was an All-American at Ashland University and a state placewinner at Middlefield Cardinal High School.

I know the Porters because I wrestled/coach at a school in their conference and sectional. At the state tournament this year, all four of Travis's matches were on the same mat right before all four of Don Stocum's matches (I coach Don). They had practiced together at scrimmages and especially the week before state. Every time they went up to wrestle, Travis and Don were high-fiving and rooting each other on. They both ended up winning the state championship in convincing fashion. After Travis won his, he was so excited that he lifted his father (who was in the coaching chair) in the air and actually took him down! Dustin, Jason, and Tyler were all matside for the match. It was a great moment for a great family.

Ryan Peters added to this discussion on May 21, 2008

I just heard the tragic news about Ray Porter. This is a terrible loss to the NE Ohio Wrestling community. Ray was a winner. I had the opportunity to speak with Ray on a few different occasions this season. He was a proud man and rightfully so. Ray's boys are class acts on and off the mat and that is a termendous reflection on his strong parenting skills. Ray's presence will be miss in the wrestling community.

On behalf of the Beachwood Wrestling family, we would like to extend our deepest condolences to the entire Porter family.

Adam Cogar added to this discussion on May 21, 2008

The Porter family is in our thoughts and prayers here at Barberton. Travis I hope you know that you gave your father the greatest feeling that a wrestling dad can have.

Not only because you are a State Champion, but because you put all of yourself into this sport, and as you completed your senior season I'm sure he realized that all of his hard work in raising a great you man came to a head.

I didn't win a State Championship this March, but at that moment my father and I concluded the most important chapter in our lives and I was now a young man ready be on my own. Your father knows that he prepared you for everything that will come to you in the future, and know that on March 1st, you made his dreams come to fruition.

John Drumm added to this discussion on May 30, 2008

Having attended Ray's memorial service it became obvious how many lives he touched. Family, wrestling friends, biker friends, fraternity friends, young and old attended. The gym was packed standing room only. I, like many, shed tears particularly when Ray's youngest, Tyler, got up to speak in front of the crowd. Ray truly was an unselfish man ready to lend a helping hand. I remember bringing wrestlers, mainly John Rhodes, from Garrettsville up to work out with Ray, Chipper, Travis and Jason at "The Gym" in Middlefield. Sometimes, Ray would still have his jeans on having just gotten off work, but he would take his shoes off and train in his socks if he had to just because he wanted to help. He did help playing a big part fine tuning Rhodes for state placement.
I was also very impressed with Principal Steve Reedy at the memorial service. Principal Reedy dedicated the Berkshire wrestling room and renamed it the Ray Porter wrestling room for which he received a standing ovation. My prayers continue to go out to his family.

► Add to the Discussion