Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Women's wrestling gets some publicity
Warren Edwards added to this discussion on June 3, 2008

Thought this might interest some of you who have been talking about women's wrestling programs lately.

» View the article

Quote:

"Lady Wrestling Too Hardcore for the NCAA?
Susie Cagle (Chief Contributor)
Jamestown, Pacific University, UCSB: Sports

Though still in its infancy, women's wrestling is actually one of the fastest growing college sports. So why is there only one N.C.A.A. school with a team -- and is this actually an ironic result of the Title IX law? High school girls wrestling has tripled in popularity over the last ten years, and the sport is gaining even more international recognition and respect in the run-up to its second showing at the Olympic Summer Games. More college women actually wrestle today than compete in archery or equestrian, which the N.C.A.A. has classified as "emerging sports."

So... why isn't wrestling "emerging"? Because only one N.C.A.A. member college, Oregon's Pacific University, bothers to offer the sport.

Some critics are blaming this on the Title IX law, which aimed to level the playing field when it comes to the cash poured into girls' and boys' respective sports. Title IX only says that equal resources must be used, not that the whole operation has to be remotely fair or even logical. So women's wrestling, with its small roster of players, gets screwed. Why have a wrestling team of two dozen women when you could have a crew team of six dozen (which will offset the cost of your baseball team's new uniforms tidily)?

(But I think you also kind of have to wonder about the public image of women's wrestling compared to the photogenic femininity of a girl riding a pony...)

Thus most truly committed lady wrestlers either end up toughing it out on the men's team (because they are seriously hXc) or bypassing the N.C.A.A. altogether and choosing small, private schools that at least offer club and varsity teams (because those guys are so hungry for tuition dollars). And now small schools like Missouri Baptist University and Jamestown College have become the unlikely homebases of legions of ladies who could most definitely kick your ass.

All's I'm saying is by the next Olympic games in the summer of 2012 these girls had best have more athletic opportunities and a better public image than the divas of the WWF or there will probs be hell to pay... "

Even got picked up and linked by CNNsi.com:

» View the article

Of course it's followed by a WWE Diva's YouTube video link of women mud-wrestling. So much for respect. <thumbsdown>

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 3, 2008

NAIA is where it is at for female wrestlers. 2-3 teams added a year, along with a few guys squads.

I become more annoyed and disillusioned with NCAA every day.

Thanks for the post!

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 4, 2008

As Brian Bosworth displayed back in the day--- NCAA, National Communist Against Athletes. I have no love for the NCAA. The NCAA has taken its place as the robberbaron of college athletics.

Jeremy Bloom was horrifically robbed by the NCAA. He tried to fight it, but got quashed.

The NCAA is pro-monopoly in its essence. It has taken on critical mass and is a monster.

As far as ADs go, I can recall an Associate AD at tOSU saying that "we are the NCAA," referring to OSU sports administration. Apparently she had been brainwashed. I thought that only happned in spy thrillers. Silly me.

I guess my cynicism is apparent these days. Oh well, at least I am honest.

► Add to the Discussion