Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa at Ohio State
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

This friday night in Columbus, the Hawkeyes are coming to town.

I'm not going to preview the entire bout but do think that there are a lot of good matchups and that an upset is possible.

The only weights where the Bucks appear at a disadvantage are 125 and 165 (assuming no St. John at 157).

But all the Bucks are in for tough matches--even where Ohio State might be favored

133, 149 and 157 all look tight but I like Ohio State to prevail. And at 197, an improving Camp is capable of taking out the current incarnation of Gambrall. Heflin versus Lofthouse is a winnable match. Capone's should also be pretty close. The real question is whether or not the Bucks have Magrum. Vinny Wagner goes to Med. School and attends Iowa practices when possible. I think he's an inspirational figure but not an overly skilled 184. If Ohio State has Magrum back (and he's in some semblance of shape), he'll win.

And call me a homer but I love Hunter matching up with Marion. Marion has won a lot of matches while appearing to run on fumes this season. If Hunter keeps up the pressure and gets in on some shots, I think he'll win because he's such a good finisher.

It's conceivable that the Bucks could win half the matches in the dual. If they can manage six, then they'll likely win.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

I am interested to see how 133 plays out. Ramos is an intense guy who doesn't stop and is hard to finish shots on. He will really test Logan's conditioning.
157 is a tough one because you have a very talented Nick Moore against Demas. To me, that is a toss up that may come down to OT.
Right now, I don't see Heflin beating Lofthouse with the way he's wrestled as of late. Heflin seems to lay back and not really push the pace or try to score much during the match. That style will not produce very good results against a team that likes to make you look like you are doing less than you are (and make themselves look like they are doing more than they really are). Unless Heflin has a fire lit under him this week, I see Iowa taking that match.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Does BTN post the videos from the online broadcasts on the website after the fact? I won't have access to a computer at 7:00 on Friday and really want to see this. For some reason BTN decided to put Purdue/Wisconsin on TV instead, which makes no sense.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Sean: It makes perfect sense if your eyes are fixed on the almighty dollar from the football (and perhaps, basketball) gods. It doesn't matter if the most successful sport in your conference has two to five matches pitting some of the greatest teams in the nation against each other! What matters is early 2000 run in women's basketball. What matters is those great games back in the mid-90's between Cooper and Carr.

Oh, and if you'd like to actually see the wrestling matches, you'll have to pay (again, I might add). But it's whatever, dude.

Hank: Iowa is the real deal. The Buckeyes are just as talented, trailing the Hawkeyes with only college experience. I haven't taken the time to investigate, but I would assume Iowa has a senior in the line-up?

The possibility of this dual ending 30-0 is real. And if it did, I'd venture to say that 3 or 4 of those matches - heck maybe 5! - would be decided by one or two points, with at least two of the matches going into overtime.

There is also a possibility of a win. A close one, but a win still. And to that I say, O - H...

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

I-O

Buckeyes are young as already mentioned, but this tOSU team can make a run at a NCAA title possibly next year but more likely in 2 years.

Super excited to see Logan match up with Ramos. I agree that based upon body of work and other results it looks like Logan had flat match against Dardanes rather than the gap being closed. It happens. I have distinct memories of squeaking out a match and being more than upset with myself. The next time against the same opponent was aimed at discouraging and demoralizing. I know that is not a very nice attitude but it is the truth and sometimes necessary to win.

Things I am keying on watching in this match are first takedowns, takedowns in the 3rd period, riding, fatigue and mistakes. All of these variables are interdependent.

Some of the lessons and personal rules i adopted were influenced by my opponents from Iowa. Never ever give up the first takedown, ride the dog out of your opponent, be in better shape, keep him the F off your head, no mistakes.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

125 Iowa by Major or worse 4-0
133 OSU by Dec. 4-3
141 Iowa by Dec. 7-3
149 OSU by Dec. 7-6
157 Iowa by Dec. 10-6
165 Iowa by Dec. 13-6
174 OSU by Dec. 13-9
184 Iowa by Major or worse unless Mangrum wresltes 17-9
197 Iowa by Dec. 20-9
285. Iowa by Dec. 23-9

I think 133-141-149-157-174-197-285. are all tossups.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"125 Iowa by Major or worse 4-0
133 OSU by Dec. 4-3
141 Iowa by Dec. 7-3
149 OSU by Dec. 7-6
157 Iowa by Dec. 10-6
165 Iowa by Dec. 13-6
174 OSU by Dec. 13-9
184 Iowa by Major or worse unless Mangrum wresltes 17-9
197 Iowa by Dec. 20-9
285. Iowa by Dec. 23-9

I think 133-141-149-157-174-197-285. are all tossups."

This is about how I see it going. Hoping Logan can pull off a win, as I think this leans toward a toss-up.

This is a great test for the young Bucks, and I hope they learn a ton from the experience and it makes them even more hungry to beat Iowa in the future.

PS Just confirmed a trip to CBus for the Michigan match. Stoked.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

So Friday is my birthday, my wife says what do you want to do for your birthday. I say how about some live entertainment. She says that sounds great what show are we going to see, I say OSU vs. IOWA..... Delayed response followed by ohhhh, really we haven't had a night out since October and you want to watch wrestling. I say yes, she says well it is your birthday.

See everyone on Friday!!!

Last edited by Shawn Andrews on January 17, 2012; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Shawn - outstanding.

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"So Friday is my birthday, my wife says what do you want to do for your birthday. I say how about some live entertainment. She says that sounds great what show are we going to see, I say OSU vs. IOWA..... Delayed response followed by ohhhh, really we haven't had a night out since October and you want to watch wrestling. I say yes, she says well it is your birthday.

See everyone on Friday!!!"

I don't have the birthday to back me up but I have used a similiar tactic with my wife.......See you Friday.....I hope!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

#Winning!!!

See you gents then.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Never ever give up the first takedown, ride the dog out of your opponent, be in better shape, keep him the F off your head, no mistakes."

Niemann already has this painted on the wrestling room wall ;)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

I fully admit to wussing out of prognosticating this match. The pendulum could swing many ways in this one. I hate admitting that experience drives the final score towards Iowa in this one. The good thing is, the potential exists for a Buckeyes win. It will be fun to see how Tom has the boys motivated and coached up.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

It should be a great atmosphere in St. Johns. Hopefully the crowd can stay enthusiastic and loud throughout the evening to help these young guns through those tough matches.

In my eyes, this could be a long night for the Bucks. I just think it is a matchup thing. I am not sure Stieber, Dijulius, etc. can handle the physical nature of Iowa. Hopefully I am wrong.

See everyone on Friday. Shawn, my wife is 6 months pregnant and I am making her come to this one. Too good miss!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2012

Quote from Shawn Andrews's post:

"So Friday is my birthday, my wife says what do you want to do for your birthday. I say how about some live entertainment. She says that sounds great what show are we going to see, I say OSU vs. IOWA..... Delayed response followed by ohhhh, really we haven't had a night out since October and you want to watch wrestling. I say yes, she says well it is your birthday.

See everyone on Friday!!!"

You are a man's man.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next