Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa at Ohio State
Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

"Great win tonight. It's great to be a Buckeye.' Absolutely.

Tommy: with your obviously unique perspective, besides sheer talent -- which other teams like Iowa have -- are there one or two qualities, skills, etc., that sets this group apart from teams of recent years?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tommy Rowlands added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

""Great win tonight. It's great to be a Buckeye.' Absolutely.

Tommy: with your obviously unique perspective, besides sheer talent -- which other teams like Iowa have -- are there one or two qualities, skills, etc., that sets this group apart from teams of recent years?"

Roe-

Ask me after NCAA's. They are on a good run. They could be a very special group that does amazing things over the next 4-5 years.....but the real moment of truth is March.

Not trying to avoid the question, but to compare them to other teams and people that had to run through the gauntlet 4 times before they even complete 1 is unfair and not a good way to measure IMO.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Kevin, Magrum is a junior, and although he didn't start tonight, he has been a big part of this team's success this year.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Pat,yeah, love Magrum. Point was nothing against Magrum. Point was WE BEAT IOWA with a line-up of 7 freshman and 3 sophmores.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

The tough part about a win like last night is discerning the implications for the rest of the season. It's absolutely a landmark victory for the Buckeyes. As for what it implies for the remainder of the season, in reality...nothing. No different than Dardanes beating Stieber.

What it means is that the Buckeyes are busting at the seams with talent in the starting line-up. Iowa is going to take a swing at the National title this year. Marion and St John (if healthy) will make deep runs in the NCAA tourney. Demas & Hunter...maybe.

Hunter can knock of anyone in the country in a dual...that's proven. But at the NCAAs he will have to prove he can knock them all off in consecutive matches over 3 days. His track record as a 4X HS State Champ speaks nothing to his abilty to do this because even at the state meets, he rarely had any equal competition.

So, last night's win implies that, even this year, they have the talent to compete for a title, but that is all it implies. Now, they need to get back in the room and continue to improve daily as they have. PSU is up next and the Lions afford them another chance to prove their skills against high calibur talent. The BigTens will be oh so telling as to where we stand.

Personally, I think there is enough inexperience on this time, that a top 5 finish is not an unreasonable thought, but I wouldn't expect them in the top 3. We have 2 wreslters with legit title hopes if they continue progress and Hefln that certainly should be an AA. So, where does that leave Cam, J.D., Camp, Garcia, Demas, & Pete?

Gees, you look at that list and think, well, if they continue to improve at the pace they all are right now, they could all concievable qualify for the big dance. But I don't expect that. I think Demas and Garcia could get a quality win win at the Big Tens, but unless they become far more
consistent and confident, will fall just shy. I think Pete will place and qualify if he does not get pinned unexpectedly somewhere along the way. Camp has the talent and I think he will qualify. And, I believe J.D. has the heart and skills to qualify. That leaves us with the unknown of the health of Magrum. We'll have too see. He should qualify if healthy, but that may hinge on how long he is out of the game.

Just my goofy thoughts on where we are today.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Did you feel that? What was it?

Was it an earthquake?

A tear in the space time continuum.

That grenade you just threw

A double bounce on the trampoline.

That tree falling on the ground that you just chopped down.

That monkey you just threw off your back.

That rush of endorphins you just get from vicariously engaging through others.

That excitement you get just before stepping on the mat.

The smile you get from watching your kid do something for the first time.

The pride you get from watching the next generation of your family do the right thing.

I felt every one of those things last night, the earth below me moved, something was different, anticipating something with great consequence, out of control and excited, repeat efforts finally rewarded, the weight of past experience lifted, the high you get from watching with vested interest, the excitement of battle, and the pride and happiness that you get from watching others you with whom you align.

Outstanding. Thank you Buckeyes!

Also, It was a tipping in the balance of power amongst DI Wrestling programs.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

One thing I never knew until last night was how Ramos/Stieber would play out in a folkstyle match. In their FS matches, mat work is at a minimum. Don't turn the guy right a way, back to your feet. Last night showed on their feet it's a pretty even match, but on top Logan dominated, even without the 3 point NF. Same thing might be said about Stieber/Oliver. Not sure who wins the top position battle???

And BTW, thanks to the Burnetts and the Barn for giving us the Monroeville Three (soon to be Four?)

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"One thing I never knew until last night was how Ramos/Stieber would play out in a folkstyle match. In their FS matches, mat work is at a minimum. Don't turn the guy right a way, back to your feet. Last night showed on their feet it's a pretty even match, but on top Logan dominated, even without the 3 point NF. Same thing might be said about Stieber/Oliver. Not sure who wins the top position battle???"

I was thrilled with that effort on top. We all knew he could do, but seeing him do it to a top 3 talent certainly reinforces why he is a title contender. Love that top 3 at 133 and 4-6 in the class will be right there looking to capitalize on any mistakes. That weight class is going to be a treat to watch at the NCAAs.

BTW, my post above was only meant as constructive. I absolutely agree with Rex's post. But, the onus is on the young Bucks to prove themselves time and time again, because they are young and have not been in the big dance (not forgetting Magrum, Capone, and Helfin), As I said at the beginning of the previous post, they have the talent to do it now. They have the onus on their shoulders to prove it. And really, that is not a bad place to be. What more can any of us ask for in life but to be in the game every day and to prove ourselves? I am proud of them and as excited as the rest of you...believe me on that. Can't wait for next weekend vs. PSU.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

I'm listening to the audio feed on big10 digital, it's the feed back to Iowa, pretty cool listening to these guys and their disbelief, lol

I like how they mispronounced the name Stieber, and at one point referred to them as the "Stieber twins". Maybe those announcers weren't that familiar with them, but I know assistant coach Zadick knows who they are. Logan beat him in FS last year.

lol,,,,he says he thinks it was a false start when Demas picked St john lol

AWESOME lolo
Garcia is thick and pudgy and gonna get a but whoopin,,,,,,,that's what they are saying before the match !!,,,lol

lol,,,they think lofthouse is wrestling heflin all thru the match lol

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2012

Patrick:
I think your comments--which are wise and insightful--tie in neatly with Tom Ryan's. Basically, Coach Ryan said that the victory over Iowa is a starting point. It's a first step in becoming a consistently great program. That's why he said that now they're in a fist fight. It's like they finally fought back and knocked down the school yard bully. And the bully is going to fight back.

Rex: I'm thrilled to read how great this win makes you feel as a former Buckeye National Champion.

Tom Rowlands: You've been a big piece of the heart of Ohio State wrestling since your frosh year in college. I'm as thrilled for you as I am for Rex at how great this victory must feel. You deserve this moment.

Rick, the BTN Digital is finally posting the video of the match, which I missed because my cable was out due to the weather yesterday (great timing). I had only the audio to listen too today.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next