Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Discussion Topic: Watch Ohio State v. Michigan from Home
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Gary...Nothing wrong with scouting at all. I was just responding to Jack Muni's quote, "I swear they must have scouted Colt because he refused to let him get the underhook in."

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

I'd give their 133 AND 141 pounder the same shot.

But I'll say this...would you equate the Spoon/Tan match-up more like the 133/141 or like the 285??? I suppose it could fall inbetween the two.

I'd say it leans closer to 133/141 side of the spectrum. But then again, those could be my Scarlet and Grey glasses filter things!!!

It is at this point that I would like to go on record as saying I think the grey in Scarlet and Grey should be with an 'e' as opposed to an 'a'. My guess is the powers-that-be have some scheme refering to "I'd rather get an 'A' in a course than an 'E'. True. But I do believe the the term 'gray' is used to refer to an old/older/dare I say elderly person. It also can mean bleak, drab or depressing. And there is nothing bleak, drab or depressing about the future of Ohio State wrestling or the University as a whole!

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Gary...Nothing wrong with scouting at all. I was just responding to Jack Muni's quote, "I swear they must have scouted Colt because he refused to let him get the underhook in.""

Understood. His comment did strike me as a bit strange, as if it was unexpected that they would have scouted (if they indeed did).

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I'd give their 133 AND 141 pounder the same shot.

But I'll say this...would you equate the Spoon/Tan match-up more like the 133/141 or like the 285??? I suppose it could fall inbetween the two.

I'd say it leans closer to 133/141 side of the spectrum. But then again, those could be my Scarlet and Grey glasses filter things!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is at this point that I would like to go on record as saying I think the grey in Scarlet and Grey should be with an 'e' as opposed to an 'a'. My guess is the powers-that-be have some scheme refering to "I'd rather get an 'A' in a course than an 'E'. True. But I do believe the the term 'gray' is used to refer to an old/older/dare I say elderly person. It also can mean bleak, drab or depressing. And there is nothing bleak, drab or depressing about the future of Ohio State wrestling or the University as a whole!"

Spoken through rose-colored glasses. <smile>

Kirk Nail added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Kirk Nail

Mike,
If we are going to live by "IFs", such as IF Churella would have wrestled, let's keep the IF questions going.
1. IF you did not lose in the State Finals, would you still be so BITTER?
2. IF you did not get beat up in practice at OSU every day, would you have quit the team after 1 year?
3. IF the Ready program had better VOLUNTEER assistant coaches, would they still have finished dead last in the CCL this year?

Hopefully this is not too much of an OSU fan's ignorance about the team's expectations, just some questions to ask a guy who seems to have so many opinions on everyting under the sun.

Sincerely
VinceD's little brother!
(Not Kirk Nail)

----------

Kirk:
If you do let others use your name to post, realize that it is your name that is being tied to that post, not a DiSabato brother's name.

Mr. DiSabato:
Let's continue a quality discussion about wrestling. I understand that you are upset with Mike, but please keep the personal issues off of the forum.

Dan Cosimi
OhioWrestling.Net

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Mr. DiSabato,
If you have issues with what Mike says and want to argue with him online as two adults, that's fine. As far as the Ready team goes, they are mostly 9th and 10th grade kids (they currently start 1 senior and 1 junior) who had no wrestling experience before high school. This is not an excuse, as they were not happy with how they finished and working hard everyday to improve. Many (actually all) of these kids are Buckeye wrestling fans, who come to the matches and look up to the current and former Buckeye wrestlers. You have always seemed to conduct yourself with class on the mat and on these forums however these comments were disrespectful to these kids and imo out of line.

Scott Nicola
Ready Wrestling

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Michael - I always find your posts very insightful and enjoy what you bring to this forum. If everyone on here had the same opinion, I would not frequent this site.

DiSabato - I have no clue where that came from. It is OK to give honest assessment, no matter where you live or who you wrestled for.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

To support my LITTLE BROTHER...

Mr. DiSabato-

I'll take issue with #3. Two years ago, there were three kids on the team. Now we have 26 kids. That is OK progress by me. Earlier in the season, we had beaten some good teams in duals and faltered in others. That is youth. In the last month, we have lost five starters, including two seniors to injury for the season. A few of them were quite good. That is life. Who knows, we might have still finished last. But I doubt it.

It is always nice to know that Bishop Ready has such a strong alumni base.

Sincerely,
Brian Nicola
Head Coach, Bishop Ready Wrestling
6th Place, CCL

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Michael - I always find your posts very insightful and enjoy what you bring to this forum. If everyone on here had the same opinion, I would not frequent this site."

Agreed.

I will address this point with Michael. He said he would like to have seen the outcome of the dual if Churella had wrestled. If Churella had wrestled (and let's say the most reasonable and possible outcome happened in our favor) and Lance beat him, it would only have been by decision, which then makes the dual meet tied and Ohio State loses on the criteria of most near fall points.

Maybe you meant, "I would have like to seen Churella and Lance wrestle." It sounded like you were trying to say if Churella wrestled, Ohio State would have lost (which is the case without recognizing any other possible outcomes or differences that could have occurred).

Your negativity toward Russ when he was in his final year as my head coach was hard to handle. When you do say something that could be (and was) interpreted as negative regarding the outcome of the dual on the basis of Churella wrestling, I have a problem with that because: 1. Those guys are my good friends and 2. Your posts are just always overwhelmingly negative when regarding Ohio State wrestling.

Brad Proudfoot: To answer your question, I think that opponents are getting a sense of what Kellen Russell likes to do--and countering it. When really talented frosh hit the D1 level, we sometimes see them have a lot of initial success and then a rash of defeats. This happens because opponents learn about them and make adjustments. The same thing happened to Sponseller against Tannenbaum. Others will try to use a similar counter-attack strategy against Colt. Bet on it.

As to who wins if Josh Churella wrestles--we'll never know. He didn't. I will say that Ohio State did not match up particularly well with Michigan on paper. It looked like Ohio State would need to win two of the three closest bouts--141, 149 and 184--to win. Then again, I thought Triggas would beat Watts. So, despite Ohio State winning all three of those bouts (obvivously it helped that Churella didn't go), it was a super-tight match.

Hank, you're not understanding. If Churella had wrestled (assuming all other outcomes are the same) even Palmer beats him, we still lose the dual. Lance would have to get bonus points which history tells us it wasn't going to happen. Could it? Yes. Would it? Very unlikely. So the point is: Why would Michael liked to have seen the outcome if Churella had wrestled? Why would he have liked to see Ohio State lose?

Quote from Kirk Nail's post:

"Hank, you're not understanding. If Churella had wrestled (assuming all other outcomes are the same) even Palmer beats him, we still lose the dual. Lance would have to get bonus points which history tells us it wasn't going to happen. Could it? Yes. Would it? Very unlikely. So the point is: Why would Michael liked to have seen the outcome if Churella had wrestled? Why would he have liked to see Ohio State lose?"

I'm not sure that's what he's saying. I think his point was he'd like to have seen who'd have won if each team had wrestled it's best lineup. Keep in mind that if Churella had wrestled that second bout, it would have influenced other matches. As an example, Bergman chased Bleske all over the mat but didn't work as hard as he could have for the major. Certainly that outcome might have been different if J.D. had felt more strongly that bonus points were needed. Everything influences everything else. How this match would have played out, no one can say for certain.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

Hank, thanks for the reply. I haven't seen Kellen wrestle enough to make an educated guess. I assumed it was either opponents were wrestling to his weaknesses from scouting him or that the initial loss may have dealt a blow to his confidence and made him alter his style.

As far as Palmer and Churella, one could assume that a win by either man could have swung the momentum (crowd, wrestlers attitudes on the bench, wrestlers attitudes on the mat, etc.) in opposite extremes. The team score could have been skewed one way or the other. It is pure speculation. In my humble opinion, there are too many factors to consider in how Churella's presence would have affected the overall atmosphere of the dual (positive or negative for the Buckeyes). We will just have to wait for the Big 10 tournament.

Bottom line is...Churella didn't step on the mat for whatever reason and Lance did. He won...and in turn the BUCKEYES won. <sign_oh> <sign_io>

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 11, 2008

I guess that Hank and I were thinking the same thing. He beat me to it. <thumbsup>

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next