Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Kenny Courts' bracket at the PIAA State Tournament
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 12, 2011

If you look at the recent Ohio wrestlers who were most sucessful on the next level most if not all were excellent mat wrestlers. Jaggers, Schlatter, Palmer, and now Taylor were all great mat wrestlers in high school. One of the reasons I'm so stoked for the Monroeville guys is b/c of their mat skills.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on March 12, 2011

Wow! 1st period pin. very impressive

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I see he faces another undefeated wrestler in the finals. Really seems to be a pretty tough bracket. The margins of victories in his last two matches leave a little to be desired of a superstar, but the final score only tells so much."

I heard the semi audio call and Courts was up 8-3 going into the 3rd. There was an escape and a late stall call against Courts that accounted for the last 2 points of the 8-5 victory. Sounded like Kenny just coasted in the 3rd to the victory. I don't blame him, he still had one more match to wrestle for the Championship.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

He pinned the previously undefeated man in the finals in 38 seconds!

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"He pinned the previously undefeated man in the finals in 38 seconds!"

Nice!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

Ben G: I haven't watched all the finals bouts. That's why I said "so far" when discussing Miller as a senior.

Tommy R's insights were terrific esp. his point about the refs not allowing you to ride when have a slim lead. I do think we're starting to see Ohio ride better. I noticed it with a handful of guys including Heflin and Miller. Eds wrestlers are now riding harder and doing more leg wrestling. Stephens is a superior rider as well. Refs will allow more riding when coaches emphasize it.

Courts is the most physically talented of the Buck recruits. He has Ed Ruth type potential.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Ben G: I haven't watched all the finals bouts. That's why I said "so far" when discussing Miller as a senior."

Ahh I see. I just wasn't sure if you meant this year, ever (this kind of threw me off), or just the best senior you've ever seen not win it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 13, 2011

Quite the bracket. Every guy he wrestled placed in the top 8 (8th, 4th, 3rd, & 2nd). He really had to earn his title.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 14, 2011

Good practice for the Big Ten Tournament in his future.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on March 15, 2011

Look I am as much a buckeye fan as any but I read on another forum and did a search in the local newspapers on Courts win. Seems he is suffering from physical problems again, first one knee then the other and now back problems, I truly believe that all his physical ailments will come back to haunt us. Kind of like Jamison. Another thing, if and when he does wrestle in the Dapper Dan tournament, hate to say it but McIntosh will beat Courts. I have said this from the first time I saw we recruited this kid, too many injuries, not enough mat time doing freestyle and greco in the summer, he will not know what hit him when he walks on the mat in the tOSU wrestling room. There were many other things posted about this kids work ethic as well on other forums but that is not my beef. My beef is his potential physically not to be able to take the grind. Go ahead guys you can hate on me all you want, I may be a woman but I follow wrestling.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 15, 2011

No one knows what the future holds for him but if he wins the NCAAs with a bum knee and bad back -- just like he won a PA State Title -- I will take it.

I don't remember Jags being injured in any major way in high school but he tore up a knee in college and won two titles.

I imagine every wrestler at that level is banged up to some degree this time of year.

I hope he doesn't wrestler DD if he in fact is dinged right now.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 16, 2011

Julie:

I don't think anyone has "hated on" you for saying that you don't think Courts will pan out. I think people take issue with the fact that you repeatedly bring this up, and for what purpose? There's nothing anyone that posts on here can do about it. You don't think he'll pan out? Fine. I appreciate your insight (though personally I might not say it so bluntly about a high school kid) about his injuries and it's something I'll be interested to watch.

But you've brought it up about a dozen times this year whenever you get the chance. It comes off as if you have an axe to grind against this kid. Frankly I'm not sure there's any other way to interpret your posts. Especially when I can't think of a non-Kenny-Courts-injury-doom-and-gloom post from you all year. It's as if you just watch from the shadows for opportunities to come out once a month and remind us that Kenny Courts is the worst recruit in the history of wrestling. I think bringing it up once or twice is plenty; there's really no reason to rag on about a high schooler's shortcomings.

With all that said, it's irritating that you say "I may be a woman but I follow wrestling" so vindictively. Your womanhood has nothing to do with why people have cringed at your continuous Courts criticism.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 24, 2011

I had a friend was a big baseball player
back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you
Make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar
I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside sat down had a few drinks
but all he kept talking about was

Chorus:
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block
back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by
and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up
I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times,
she says when she feels like crying
she starts laughing thinking about

Chorus

Glory days yeah goin back
Glory days aw he ain't never had
Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 25, 2011

from RoeF,
"Surprised to see Hills with six losses. Maybe Bob or Josh can give us some info on his season this year. Does he wrestle bigger tourneys or are those in-state matches?"

from BobP:
Hills is good, yep Courts drew very tough first match at state. But Hills had brutal schedule, took 6th in IRONMAN, lost close ones to Utley and Gresham 2 top ohio kids, then lost to Quam from California in 5th place match.
At Beast of East, Hills lost badly to Hicks from NJ, but came back strong to take 3rd and in the process he beat Courts 6-4.
Hills probably in Powerade too, im too lazy to look it up.
---------------------

hey Julie,
U made a good point imo, Courts has had injury problems-- but i assume his talent too great for ohio st to pass him up, esp since he WANTS to be a buckeye and he is in a hard to fill upperwt. So yes there is some risk. BUT his talent is off the charts, potential NCAA finalist imo.
---------------------

i kinda like those Glory Days lyrics, someone should record it into a song. Reminds me of my life, ha, ha ! ......s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2