Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Is Illinois a better wrestling state (at the high school level) than Ohio?
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on June 29, 2011

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"Just checked ESPN.com....nothing on Gene Smith :-D

We've missed you Gary. Seriously..."

Patrick, I know you won't/might not believe this but I totally forgot about having said that. God, it sucks getting old. :( LOL

Thanks for the last comment."

So, you're a forgetful man of your word then? That's gonna make for some fun. BHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Is Illinois a better wrestling state (at the high school level) than Ohio?
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 29, 2011

"

"

Patrick, I know you won't/might not believe this but I totally forgot about having said that. God, it sucks getting old. :( LOL

So, you're a forgetful man of your word then? That's gonna make for some fun. BHAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Well, when you put it that way.....................

It has been a while and just completely slipped my mind. Though I am sure I will here about this from my son when I get home.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 29, 2011

"WHOA....hold on here...Did Gene Smith quit or get fired or something? What did I miss ;) "

I, too, was wondering if a committment was not kept. Seems no one is worth their word anymore. . .not just high school athletes or college football coaches!

"

"

"

So, you're a forgetful man of your word then? That's gonna make for some fun. BHAAAAAAAAAAAA"

It has been a while and just completely slipped my mind. Though I am sure I will here about this from my son when I get home."

Hopefully you'll HEAR something from Chris, not HERE something. You should listen to that kid, he's pretty level headed.

Poor guy has dropped right into senility. Pray for Gary folks...he might be loosin' it :)

"

"

"

"

It has been a while and just completely slipped my mind. Though I am sure I will here about this from my son when I get home."

Hopefully you'll HEAR something from Chris, not HERE something. You should listen to that kid, he's pretty level headed.

Poor guy has dropped right into senility. Pray for Gary folks...he might be loosin' it :)"

Yea, that too! :)

Geez you are picking on me today. Is this my "welcome back"?

Who do you think he got his level-headedness from?

His mother...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 29, 2011

"

"

"

"

"

Poor guy has dropped right into senility. Pray for Gary folks...he might be loosin' it :)"

Who do you think he got his level-headedness from?"

Now that you've been reminded, will you go away until Gene Smith gets fired?

You guys are great. I was home on my back with pneumonia for 10 days. I am finally laughing again. Thank you!

"His mother..."

You are quite welcome for the setup.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"

"

"

"

"

Who do you think he got his level-headedness from?"

Now that you've been reminded, will you go away until Gene Smith gets fired?"

I can do that, though sadly you probably want to keep him around.

I think it is safe to say that Mike could care less about Gene Smith at tOSU...as it pertains to tOSU. Now he may have some other motivation to keep Gene around, such as the one he just stated. If anyone on The Ohio Wrestling Network would be considered NOT a tOSU honk...I'm pretty sure Mike would fess up to that. So, I think your statement is invalid on this one Gary. It might be valid for some of the actual Honks ;)

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on June 30, 2011

Getting back on topic of discussion, there were/are several factors as to why we were in the situation with junior duals.

I was a coach on this years squad and here are some issues I saw, not excuses, but issues.

1-As a state, we do nothing to promote freestyle/greco. It's all about Disney. High School coaches want complete control of their wrestlers, and since most have no clue about freestyle, they discourage particpation. We need to do something about this. I have some ideas and I will be bringing these up to usa-ohio.

2-Nobody was told their would be a dual team this year, in fact the kids were told there would not be one, so the kids that wanted to go had already latched on to a Disney team. Again, Disney is a HUGE issue. It was the same week as Jr.'s, and we lost a lot of kids.

3-I am absolutely proud of all the kids that went, but to be honest, we could not get the kids together to train freestyle beforehand, and some showed no interest in actually learning the right way to wrestle freestyle. Some of the attitudes of kids and the work ethic for offseason wrestling leaves something to be desired. This can somewhat be attributed to the fact that there was little time to get things organized.

Illinois domination at the age group level can attributed to great organization and a commitment from the kids and their coaches. They understand the importance of free/greco and work tiresselly to improve and separate themselves. I have some ideas as to how we can make this jump and I plan to present them to USA-Ohio very soon.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 30, 2011

"in fact the kids were told there would not be one"

Who was it that broadcast that there would be no team, if I may ask? USA-Ohio or other individuals?

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on June 30, 2011

From what I was told, it was a combination. It wasn't until after FILA cadets that the idea of putting the team together came about.

Another issue we faced, which happens with all teams, is that we had some individuals committed who backed out last second. That can really hinder the process.

Larry Korb added to this discussion on June 30, 2011

My kid wanted to--was asking to--go to the Junior Duals, but it was communicated to his high school coach that there would be no team. Subsequently, he elected to go to Pennsylvania and work out these weeks.

By the time we found out there would be a team, it was too late. Travel commitments had already been made.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next