Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The 2012 Brakeman Report
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2012

"Bob: What is Brakeman'e beef with Maple Heights?"
------------------

not worth discussing Joe, don't want to delve into it, but suffice to say JamieM was REALLY upset when he talked to me after he got a look at ohio state program, maybe 70th anniversary was it?--- it bothered me too, it wasnt right. But its better left alone.

both men MikeM & BrianB GREAT contributors to ohio wrsetling each in their own right. ...s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

WRA doesn't have a team this year? Wow.

Oddo was a good one, so I hear. That was well before my time. My pick for US would be either Chris Tripp, our first state champ since the forties and one of my best friends, or the 3xer Hightower. Tripp was probably the better wrestler, IMO, and put us on the map and into the Ironman. He won a weight with Pucillo, Dave Erwin, Jason Roush (3x DII AA, I think), and Hurley. Hightower was a 3xer, though, and how can you pick against him. To win his last two titles, he went through Matt Stephens, Chaz Gresham, and Konner Witt.

I loved all the stuff at the beginning this year- great reads.

DI 132- how do you really pick it? You can't really fault anybody for picking any of the top 3. My pick is Bright, though.

The only other big eyebrow raiser is 195 in DI. Suvak is something like 4-0 against Tayse the last two years, and has beaten him twice this year. He might not have given up a takedown in either bout- I know he didn't at the Ironman.

I really look forward to seeing 138 in DI- it's so ridiculously deep. I also can't wait to see if Ed's can break or tie the Graham/Cleveland West record for state champs. The following kids have legitimate chances-

113- Moore. I know Thompson is the favorite, but Moore is tough and you can't count him out. He is also giant, and would be huge for Saturday night.

126- Heil- runaway favorite.
132- Bright- He will have to be on the top of his game, but I like his chances.
138- Barber- This kid has come so far in high school, I can't help but root for him. He really took his lumps as a freshman splitting time with Moore at 103, and struggled again as a sophomore 119. He has gotten so much better the last two years, it's crazy. This weight is even crazier, though.
152- Van Curen is talented, but inconsistent. I wouldn't count on him winning here.
160- Davis. This is another kid I can't help but root for. He has been a backup his whole career, and really made the most of his chances when he had them (remember him beating Isaac Jordan at the Ironman last year). Probable favorite.
170- Martin is a solid favorite over the excellent Pickett.
182- Abounader- his match with Baker, who has looked awesome this year, will be a barnburner. Two great athletes going at it is what Saturday night is all about. I like Abounader by the slightest of margins- Baker impressed the hell out of me at Brecksville
195- Suvak, already talked about.
220- Walz- slight favorite, but I think it's his time.
285- Kuhar being out for the year is a let-down. I was really looking forward to seeing him and Tavanello- a bout in which I favored Kuhar.

That is nine kids with title possibilities. My guess is that they get 7, honestly- Heil, Bright, Davis, Martin, Abounader, Suvak, and Walz.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

The trio at 132 is pretty amazing, but I can't pick anyone but Bright to win it. His year has just been too good. High school isn't the area I pay the most attention to, but it seems like he is very close breaking into that top echelon of the nation's high schoolers. Heck, as a junior he's beaten InterMat's #5 pound-for-pound senior (Cisneros) and all but beaten #9 Grey.

Once a wrestlers get to a certain level, I don't think you can assume they will improve as much from year to year. Many do, but many don't. Bright has improved tremendously each of the last two years... seems that whatever college snags him is getting a guy headed in the right direction.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

"WRA doesn't have a team this year? Wow."

Caught me by surprise too.

Quote by athletic director Herb Haller from the WRA website:

"While the 2011-12 season has been cancelled and national trends show that wrestling numbers continue to decline, it is our intent to have a wrestling team next year and in the future."

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

I like the good intentions, but realistically, once it is gone, it is easy never to bring it back. That is true of so many things in life.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Claymont would have to be Mel Peters, the longtime coach and father of eight (8) Claymont wrestlers who won a combined 600 matches, including 2 state titles."

I tend to think of head coach Eric Toukenen as the face of the Claymont program. However the name Peters was synonymous with the Claymont program during the time I wrestled at Dover. My senior year I wrestled Rhett but somehow felt I was facing that entire clan. The Peters are a good bunch of folks.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

I wish I was 1/50th as knowledgable as some of you about high school wrestling. It's just easier to follow D1 college. There are less than 100 D1 college programs and it's a heck of alot easier to see video\read coverage than it is high school. There were 100 D1 high school teams that qualified someone for Columbus last year, who knows how many D1 high schools there are that have wrestling? Just way many more teams and way less coverage.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I like the good intentions, but realistically, once it is gone, it is easy never to bring it back. That is true of so many things in life."

True but I have it on good authority this will be addressed. We'll see.

As a John Irving fan I cannot imagine any prep school not having wrestling. For those on here that don't read Irving, his books are great, well-thought of critically, and almost always include wrestling.

Some other high schools:

Buckeye: Maxworhty

Highland: Leng (I know they have had other great ones)

Revere: Scavuzzo

Coventry: an option to McGhee, who was likely my favorite wrestler to watch in HS, would be Glover

Aurora: Courtad (or Schroeder or Mitch)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

"Highland: Leng (I know they have had other great ones)"

Highland no doubt its Don Tomko 69-71, Brakeman named him to his all time team in year 2000, called Tomko the most physically dominating wrestler he had ever seen.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

At the 71 state meet Don Tomko looked, literally, like a man wrestling boys. I had never seen him before (or after) that, but never forgot that showing.

When I saw Brakeman name Don Tomko, I was delighted, realizing that my observations from way back, weren't as singular as I supposed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

Shaker Heights Wrestler: Gene Weiss.

State champ wrestler in 1953 or 54 and major figure in Ohio amateur athletics for decades. Founded Ohio's first major youth wrestling camp--the Ohio School of Wrestling. Founded a chain of health clubs in the 1970's. I believe he was once president of the Ohio Boxing Commission. He also used to "officiate" local professional wrestling matches that were televised on channel 43 or channel 61.

Shaker Heights Coach: Ed "Zip" Zednik.
Coached the only state championship wrestling team in Shaker history in 1954 as well as the bulk of Shaker's twelve state champions. Founded the Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Association.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

Buckeye I think would be Nutter
Columbia Paul Senn
Medina. Jerry Lee or Mark Balog
Black River. Dave Koury ,long time coach and Medina county sports hall of fame

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

"Buckeye I think would be Nutter."

Rick: These types of lists are fun. I agree completely.

We have to be missing a lot of high schools that have had some quality wrestling not mentioned above or by BB.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 28, 2012

New Philadelphia- Chris Ricklick (2x DIII NCAA champ)
Groveport Madison- Mark Niemann (4x sectional qualifier)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2012

End of discussion, folks!!!

...very nice!

Point of note: there is a difference between a face of a program, a mouth of a program and just a mouth

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next