Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Taylor vs. Burroughs
Quinn McGee added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

If I had to bet at even odds, I'd take Burroughs. If given some odds, I'd take Taylor. Nothing surprises me from either of them. Both seem like good guys, too.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

As is often the case, Mike Rodriguez says what I'm thinking and better than I could say it.

I do consider Taylor an Ohio guy as he spent four years of high school at Graham.

Better question--are Gray Maynard or Chris Honeycutt considered Ohio guys? Both moved in from out of state and spent a couple years at St Eds.

Jan--should we consider Gray an Ohio kid?

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

Again, I think JB is an absolute joy to watch....and would be favored against virtually everyone walking this planet at 163...but to say Taylor has no chance is silly. We have no head to head to go by...and I know the transitive doesnt apply but in this case there is little to go on. I point to Sponseller....always a one move match with Howe....Taylor wrecked Colt...just saying...the kid has a decent chance

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

Well put Jamie. Mark I see where you are coming from as well and I respect your points, as usual.

Kevin, this is why I posted in the first place. No way, no how Taylor beats Burroughs? I think you're stretching it. I think going that far out on a limb is a bit silly when talking about anyone Taylor may face.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

I don't think anyone has given Burroughs too mich credit. He has a proven track record. Taylor is a complete question mark at the senior level on the freestyle world stage. No different than with Logan Stieber coming into his 1st NCAA tournament, the onus is on Taylor's shoulders to prove he belongs. MRod summed up Burroughs credentials perfectly. You can't argue with them. Burroughs is a beast on the world stage of senior freestyle wrestling. If Taylor beats him that will be unbelievable, but not because any of us disrespect him. It's because he has not had much of a chance to prove himself on that stage. If Taylor were to beat Burroughs at this stage, he's even better than most of us imagined. I'm a big D.T. fan as well, but I don't think this is his time. He is not prepared right now (which is completely different than being capable).

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"...I know Burroughs is an animal, but come on, Taylor is a man amongst boys in the college level...I just think some of you are giving Burroughs a little too much credit here."

I totally agree, but if Taylor was a man among boys, Burroughs was a giant among men. That list of names I posted above had FOUR NCAA CHAMPS and a World Team member, not to mention Mike Poeta who was 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, I believe (and future champion O'Connor). And he did't just beat those guys, he dominated most of them (although Leen and Schlatter were great bouts). 13-4 over Gillespie, 5-1 over Poeta. Go back and watch his Midlands win over Howe, it wasn't close. I guess what I'm saying, is that I think Taylor's college career will be significantly more decorated than Burroughs (2,1,1,1, with a lone loss vs DNP,3rd,1,1), but I think Burroughs' run as 157-pound junior and 165-pound senior were about as good as college wrestling gets.

Add to that his unreal learning curve for the freestyle game. Think about what Dustin Kilgore is doing on the Senior circuit, incredible. His progress is dwarfed by Burroughs'. If Taylor beats him, then he will have to make a similar jump. IS it possible? Sure, but unlikely.

Also, I don't think it's possible to give a World Champion too much credit.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

I tried to make a point to emphasize JB's remarkable learning curve....and I reiiterate.....he is absolutly awesome! Having said that I will not be surprised if Taylor beats him....and im not a big Taylor fan...just a wrestling fan!

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on March 29, 2012

I would be much less surprised by Logan Stieber winning the 60kg Olympic Trials than I would be if D.T. won.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2