Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The Bo Jordan Interview--courtesy of BuckeyeWrestling.com
David Brown added to this discussion on June 19, 2012

Took the words out of my mouth Freddy. As usual, it seems that the dark cloud of Gary's perspective has colored his commentary once again. I just think Bo was identifying the style and approach he prefers. I was the kind of athlete who thrived in more relaxed environments. tOSU or Iowa would have probably driven me to the brink of insanity, or hating the sport. Bo knows what Bo wants and I don't think it was meant as a critique of PSU or Cael.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on June 19, 2012

Gary, I wasn't taking a jab at PSU, I just liked what he said. He acknowledged that if he lost he wanted to make sure he left everything on the mat and didn't want any doubt in his mind. Obviously it has worked for PSU they have 2 belts or rings or plaques to prove it. No knock on that program brutha so just chill!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 20, 2012

Gary just said "bingo" to my post so I now recant everything in that post. :)

I haven't watched the interview next, I was just responding to the post by Marlo.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 22, 2012

Ugh.

Out of respect for a poster whose name escapes me, but what he said has stuck, I have ceased with the "breaking news" comment.

It's different strokes for different folks situation. It's nothing AGAINST Penn State or FOR Ohio State as a whole, but more about the current style of a program at this point in the game.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 22, 2012

"Out of respect for a poster whose name escapes me, but what he said has stuck, I have ceased with the "breaking news" comment."

Mark, out of respect or DISrespect??? hmmm, the name eludes me, from the past, some guy used that terminology all the time-- "breaking news". Cant recall name???

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 23, 2012

In case you may have missed it, he won't be bothering us anymore.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on June 23, 2012

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"In case you may have missed it, he won't be bothering us anymore."

Sad that he couldn't just behave and stop instigating. Oh well. Back to OHIO Wrestling!

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"Agreed. I enjoy watching those kids wrestle. I also enjoy watching the OSU kids wrestle. Bo acknowledged in his interview that the PSU style has worked extremely well for them, while also realizing that the PSU style just wasn't for him personally and that the OSU style was a better fit in his case.

There is usually more than one way to get something done. Props to Bo for recognizing the difference in styles between the schools and choosing the one that best fits his personality. Can't wait to watch him wrestle for OSU."

I really enjoy the style of both programs. I like how laid back the PSU guys are off the mat. They are confident in their skills and know when to put things down and chill out. It's important to understand that balance in life....especially knowing that wrestling just ain't gonna last forever.

However, you have to love seeing the intensity of focus displayed by tOSU. Both programs have it, it's just more of the face of the program that Tom Ryan wants to have. So be it.

As Freddy says....there is more than one way to get something done. The real key in life is to figure out what style works most efficiently for you.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 23, 2012

It's true. I think we've seen a couple different models for being successful in college wrestling. For so long the Iowa mentality of grinding, mind-numbing hard work, and beating people up was king. Oklahoma State typified slick, technical, and explosive wrestling. Nobody could match it for a while, but we've seen a new breed of guys at PSU that bleed pure joy and athletic talent. They are just as dominant, but visibly enjoy what they do. In so many interviews that I've seen about Cael, it seems like his biggest obstacle in his college and international careers was keeping wrestling fun. It was a bigger hangup than most people recognize. And now it looks like he has zeroed in on that concept for his athletes and they are seeing some great results.

Honestly, I think Tom Ryan is a hybrid of both styles. He was bred in the Iowa system, so he is hard-nosed, but that guy just oozes passion for Buckeye wrestling. He is a big picture guy who emphasizes the championship lifestyle and team success.

Seriously... have you seen a more enthusiastic coach than the Tom Ryan who was behind the curtain when Logan won his national title? There is no doubt all of the right pieces are in place for a championship caliber team. Let's see how they develop.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 23, 2012

Mike: Excellent post. I liked every line.

Patrick: excellent as well.

CPC: Thanks.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Mike: Excellent post. I liked every line.

Patrick: excellent as well.

CPC: Thanks."

I thought you were dead or something...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 23, 2012

I also think it's possible that Cael might run his system differently if his wrestlers weren't already so excellent. If he had a different, younger, less experienced and/or less proven group, he might have more practices. Maybe not, I don't know.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2012

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I also think it's possible that Cael might run his system differently if his wrestlers weren't already so excellent. If he had a different, younger, less experienced and/or less proven group, he might have more practices. Maybe not, I don't know."

Good point. Cael has recruited more impact frosh than anyone in the country. Then they develop. I'm sure they're working as hard as everyone else. Look at how Alton and Megaludis peaked at the NCAA tourney. Honestly, I think people are making too much of Bo's comments. He decided to wrestle in Columbus. That's good enough.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 24, 2012

Cael recruited VERY HIGHLY self-motivated guys in David Taylor, the Altons, Megaludis, Ed Ruth. Cael knows when to push the gas pedal and when the vehicle is running smoothly on its own.

Cael's dad, Steve, told me years ago when Cael got the head job at Iowa St that questions about his coaching ablity were unwarranted since Cael had always coached, that he'd coached when he was in high school, that he was a natural coach.

Cael is like Gable and John Smith, in that though they have what appears to be somewhat different styles coaching, all 3 were not only wrestling legends on the mat, but each knows how to coach. ...s/BobP

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on June 24, 2012

As I was reading through these posts, I thought of the video of Coach Ryan in the tunnel watching Logans championship match. The way he jumped around, acted like a friend and fan as much as a coach. I think that vid exemplifies his coaching style... and I like it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next