Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Brakeman Report Discontinued
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

I think I was:

92 D2 103 - NR
93 D2 112 - 11
94 D2 119 - 8
95 D2 125 - 4

I qualified for state all four years, placed 6th as a sophomore and 5th as a senior.

A couple quick stories.

1. My freshman season, I was unranked by Brakeman. At the Districts i wrestled a kid in the quarters ranked somewhere around 15. I told my father/coach how nervous I was because he was ranked, I think he replied something like "Who cares about that. Go wrestle."

2. If you are ever looking for a reason to make fun of me - I'll provide the ammo. My freshman year in the first round at State, I false started at the beginning of sudden death OT, which was my 3rd caution. Lost in OT with no time coming off the clock. Pretty rare feat.

More than any athletes, wrestlers can recall matches that happened years ago. This mystifies my wife.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

1. My freshman season, I was unranked by Brakeman. At the Districts i wrestled a kid in the quarters ranked somewhere around 15. I told my father/coach how nervous I was because he was ranked, I think he replied something like "Who cares about that. Go wrestle."

So what happened?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"More than any athletes, wrestlers can recall matches that happened years ago. This mystifies my wife."

I couldn't agree more. That's what I love about this forum. It makes me feel normal.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

Well, normal for here at least ;)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I think I was:

92 D2 103 - NR
93 D2 112 - 11
94 D2 119 - 8
95 D2 125 - 4

I qualified for state all four years, placed 6th as a sophomore and 5th as a senior.

A couple quick stories.

2. If you are ever looking for a reason to make fun of me - I'll provide the ammo. My freshman year in the first round at State, I false started at the beginning of sudden death OT, which was my 3rd caution. Lost in OT with no time coming off the clock. Pretty rare feat.

More than any athletes, wrestlers can recall matches that happened years ago. This mystifies my wife."

1.When I coached I had to deal with that all the time, but coach that guy is ranked 14th and I'm only ranked 17th no way I can beat him. We had a kid in high school who would look at a kids shoes and decide right then and there that he could or couldnt beat a kid.
2.My freshman year wrestling in the quarters at state I was losing 6-4 with 30 seconds left and I got the escape and takedown and we go out of bounds with 3 seconds left and as we are walking back for the restart my coach and brother are yelling tight waist far ankle and I give them the head nod like got it. Ref blows the whistle the kid sits out and I immediately lock hands around his waist right in front of the ref and end going into OT and losing.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

James - great story. I feel your pain.

Hank - won that match, lost in the semis. But placed 3rd and made it out.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 24, 2013

Mr. Brakeman was very kind to my family over the years – e.g., he wrote a number of nice things about my father (who coached in Ohio for 40-plus years) and older brother (projected 2nd/actual 3rd in 1977, and projected/actual champ in ‘78).
So I am not at all bitter that I fell short of his projections for me: mentioned in ‘81, projected 4th in ’82, and projected 2nd in ’83.
Biggest. Bust. Ever. (at least in my immediate family)
Nope, not bitter, not one bit, never even think about it anymore :).
But seriously, and on behalf of the Talbott Family, many thanks to Mr. Brakeman for his great and longstanding contributions to the sport of wrestling.
Well done, Sir.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

http://www.cleveland.com/timstake/index.ssf/2013/01/brakeman_report_ohio_wrestling.html

Article in PD today.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

Thank you Brian Brakeman. Your report meant a great deal to me growing up. It added such a great element to Ohio wrestling.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

My/OWN's response to the news: http://ohiowrestling.net

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

don't know why but Parma native DAN FICKEL of WR USA magazine is overlooked --

the guy has been A RANKING FIEND, only A MADMAN would take on his workload (and do it well).

Ranking college-- all college div 1,2, 3, naia, jr college for about 30 years, and high school since about 1995. In high school, Dan ranks 30 kids a wt nationally, and does it as well as anyone.

however Dan's low key, not a self-promoter so he avoids being noticed, however occassionally Dan Fickel deserves an attaboy. ...s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

Bob: From my earlier post in this thread. Please note Fickel's name.

"Ohio has proven to be a remarkably fertile spot for wrestling journalism when you consider the other fine writers that have become nationally prominent such as Bob Preusse, Dan Fickel, Jim Kalin and even entrepreneurial sorts like Dan Cosimi and Justin Kerr."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2013

i got it, Hank, you've been around, u know --but many overlook Dan because he's quietly done a fabulous job for so many years. And he is not a forum poster.

another thing, Dan has PHOTO of every notable kid, nationally, its unbelievable--- u want a photo, Fickel's got him probably. Dan's got a photographic memory too, unusual trait for a guy thats geting older.

Dan's not a journalist per se, but for what he does no ones better and this is going back alot of years, imo. ..s/BobP

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 4, 2013

Bob,

One reason why I (and I assume many) have singled out Josh Lowe as opposed to, say, Dan Fickel, is because Josh does the rankings of Ohio high school wrestlers for the Ohio high school state tournament in each division, just like Brakeman did. It's comparing apples to apples. I know Josh, Dan and others do national rankings (and they do a great job) but in this particular conversation, most people are probably just thinking and talking about Ohio high school wrestling on the state level.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 4, 2013

i get it Dan-- and the reason i spoke specifically of Dan Fickel, as well as national high school stuff he does the COLLEGE for WR USA mag and this forum is mostly about COLLEGE, in fact. Less about high school.

Dan has been ranking college, not just Div I but NAIA, Div 1, 2 & 3, as well as Jr college for about THIRTY years. Enormous undertaking while holding down a teachers position- and years ago coaching too. ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2