Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
William Danforth added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

In 1994 Coventry was DII, Keith Shamblin and Johnny McGhee wrestled in the State Finals and also at Firestone Districts.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Hmmm. I thought for sure he was a senior my freshman year. Clearly you've looked this up so I default to your knowledge.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

I was friends with Shamblin's parents back then. The Portage County League was very strong that year. State champs - Brian Singleton, Neil Bailey, Adeniyi Bada. Shamblin was runner-up.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Kraig was his brother, right? Wrestled him in the Smithville tournament finals in 95 (which I lost 5-3). Very nice guy.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Good family. They went to Senior National in Pittsburgh Keith senior year (94). The boys got into rodeo after wrestling.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Did you know the Hageman family from Medina Buckeye?

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

The Packs and Nutters are the Buckeye families I know from back then. During the break at the MIT, Don Lorence and I hung with the Medina Buckeye crowd.

The Hageman name rings a bell, think friends with Nick Pack. I have to dig the very old Ohio Wrestling Magazines out of storage to jog my memory. Did a lot of rankings back then.

I've recently began organized thousands of old wrestling photos from back then before digital. Want to scan and post on the net.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

". . .and, Bob, better seats than State's. Andrassy had some tough matches there I believe.

Didn't McGhee have a couple of great matches with Becks from Lake Catholic at Firestone? He and someone whose name escapes me were the only people who could hang with McGhee."

Keith Shamblin of Southeast is the name your looking for. I think around 1994."

Wervey from Kenston in 96 with Becks and McGhee. Went back to some old Brakeman reports (of course). And it was Shamblin in 94.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Pat Knaze, Fairview, hung w/McGhee as well. The mid 1990's was the Golden Age of 160 pounders in Ohio:
Scott Overholt, Shamblin, Neal Bailey, McGhee, Boross, Welsh, Greenspan, Schroeder, Matt Hamill (who never won a state title because Neal Bailey was incredibly good) plus guys like Wervey and Knaze. I should throw in the incredibly tough Mike Contos, St Eds, who beat Kevin Welsh at districts the year Welsh won state and nationals.

Tom Varner added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

2005 Firestone 152 final Dave Rella vs Josh Rohler

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Puccillo(Walsh) vs Butzer(CF Northwest) 2004 Firestone District Final.

Puccillo warms up in a shirt that says hammer time on it. The significance was that Butzer had been badly beaten or badly beat someone up with a hammer earlier in the year, and was in some kind of legal trouble over the matter. Puccillo beat Butzer at the districts, but Butzer went on to revenge his loss in the state finals match with a convincing win.

The other one that sticks out to me was the entire 119lb weight class at Firestone in 1999. Firestone was still taking the top 5 to state. Brandon Hayes a 3x Qualifier and 2x placer takes 5th to sneak out. #1 at Firestone takes 3rd at state #2 doesnt place (only because the #5 knocks him out of tournament at state) #3 wins state tournament #4 is runner up and #5 is 6th at state. Every match was a barn burner.

I have always thought Saturday afternoon at a district tournament watching consi semi matches is watching our sport at its best.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Quote from Matthew Nutter's post:

"The other one that sticks out to me was the entire 119lb weight class at Firestone in 1999. Firestone was still taking the top 5 to state. Brandon Hayes a 3x Qualifier and 2x placer takes 5th to sneak out. #1 at Firestone takes 3rd at state #2 doesnt place (only because the #5 knocks him out of tournament at state) #3 wins state tournament #4 is runner up and #5 is 6th at state. Every match was a barn burner.

I have always thought Saturday afternoon at a district tournament watching consi semi matches is watching our sport at its best."

Saturday afternoon at Firesonte was epic. I think people don't realize how tough that Firestone Disrtict used to be. It was common for have the fifth place finisher from that District place the next week. My senior year we went:

103: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th
112: 2nd, 3rd, 5th
119: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
125: 2nd, 3rd, 6th
130: 1st, 2nd
135: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th
140: 1st, 2nd
145: 1st
152: The only weight I can't think of a placer
160: 1st
171: 1st
189: 3rd, 5th
285: 1st

Nine out of 13 champs, four all Firestone finals. And I'm doing this from memory, so I bet I'm missing placers at 145, 160 and maybe heavyweight. And this wasn't a particularly tough year at Firestone. It was that brutal all the time.

Matt Nutter added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

Nine out of 13 champs, four all Firestone finals. And I'm doing this from memory, so I bet I'm missing placers at 145, 160 and maybe heavyweight. And this wasn't a particularly tough year at Firestone. It was that brutal all the time.[/quote]

What year was your senior year? I couldnt agree more. Plenty of kids that went 2-2 at Firestone that could have done damage in Columbus.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

I remember not being particularly excited about drawing a Firestone guy 1st rnd on my first trip to state in 95. My reward for beating him? Another one in the 2nd round. I hated the Firestone got to take 5 to state while my district typically only got 3 but I also acknowledged that district was the deepest and really deserved the allotment they received.
My senior year, AF district claimed 1st, 3rd, and 6th place finishes (maybe 4th too but don't remember). Same year but @ my brother's weight (140) AF claimed 1, 2, & 4th (my bro was 3rd). Just nasty amount of talent coming from that district.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2013

mentor, mentor, mentor in late 70s, 1980s and early to mid 90s--- has there ever been a worse draw than this one ?

i had friend whose son wr for Brush, he was good but his senior year he drew DAN St JOHN a future 2x NCAA champ then in wrestleback he drew MIKE CARPENTER who at one time was ranked # 2 in nation for Cleveland St, 2 & out-- no justice there and he never did get to state.

to add to the hilarity of it all, some years mentor ONLY was ALLOWED to TAKE 3 to STATE.

Hank knows the mentor stories, he used to coach there in its halcyon days. Tell a few Hank.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next