Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Dapper Dan
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 13, 2013

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"I thought you had to make scratch weight at least once? I think that's how it was when I was in HS, anyway. Things change, Mox."

I thought you got certified at your lowest weight before the season started, so that's when he would have weighed 160? But I'll be the first to admit I don't know the weight rules."

he would not have weighed 160 before season, he merely had to pass the hydration test that indicated by minimum body fat % he was allowed to go 160 --if he chose to.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 17, 2013

Great to see Tomasello come up with a big win over longtime rival Cruz.

Also, with IMar almost getting a tech and Weiroch getting beat, does that change the thought on Marstellar and Bo?

Just thinking out loud.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 18, 2013

all 3 ohio kids won, Abounader, Heil, Tomasello. ohio has sent more USA team kids to DD i believe than any state and does have a very good winning % there.

1 at 170 Weircioch loses-- 160 Isaiah Martinez who Bo beat 4-2 in Ironman finals, Martinez wins 20-8.

fickel, he told me when everyone was jumping on the Mar-train, "im sticking with Bo for 1"....ive been saying long time, no one knows talent better than the savvy wiley cuyote veteran Dan Fickel. ..s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2013

Bob: I want same credit for assessing Bo's talent. I also think he's better than Marstellar (or at least as good). Call me wile coyote or rabid raccoon breath or some varmint nickname.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 18, 2013

no question Hank knows his stuff, i have long said that, believe ive refered to u as a "keen observer" with "savvy observations" -- i was just mentioning Fickel as a professional ranker. No slight intended.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 19, 2013

stats from California forum, i knew ohio had a very good record on USA team in this great event where so many future NCAA champs have lost:

- Dapper Dan is in its 39th year and a CA wrestler has participated 14 times, roughly 1/3 of the years. Compared to other strong wrestling states, CA appears to be fairly underrepresented over the years.
- CA wrestlers are 10-4 (71.4% winning percentage) versus it’s PA counterparts. PA provides some stiff competition but CA has more than held it's own with a higher winning % than most states.
- Here are some other prominent wrestling states’ records and winning percentages: IA: 12-13 (48%); NY: 14-7-1 (66%); IL: 16-9-1 (63%); OK: 28-17-1 (62%); MI: 10-13 (43%); ****OHIO: 33-12-2 (71.3%); MN: 9-9 (50%); NJ: 15-15 (50%)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2013

Wow! Ohio's record at the DD is stunning. I wish I could make more out of that statistic. Something tells me that it demonstrates how Ohio is on a par with PA in terms of top tier wrestlers at the least. I do think PA has more depth although if Ohio were a two division state, I might see things differently.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 19, 2013

When I graduated HS, MN and WI had an All-Star sr's only dual. Each state made two teams, generally split into big and small school teams. We had a team training camp for the couple days before then would head to WI for a dual ( two mats going with all 4 teams wrestling) then next day we came back to MN and you dualed the other team. I'd LOVE for this to take place between OH and PA but I know it'd never happen. I think it'd be much closer than most PA people would like to believe.

I wish more states did those duals, it was a blast.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2013

I'd love to run an event in Cleveland with every state sending one team for a dual tourney.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'd love to run an event in Cleveland with every state sending one team for a dual tourney."

When I hit the lottery, I'll give you a call and we'll make it happen.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

Concerning the Tomasello match...

I wasn't overly sold that the last flury should have resulted in TD-2. I didn't think Cruz had control of the hips. Tomasello jumped out with his hips enough in order to free them.

Fred, if you're reading, if I'm not mistaking, this is one of the points coaches always talk about... "He has the cradle locked up" kind of talk.

I can lock up a cradle from out in front of my opponent... it does not and should not equal TD-2 though.

Anywho, just thinking.

And Brady... Let me know when you hit the lotto. I find it quite easy to spend other people's money!

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

(the thread wouldn't be complete without)

Greater Cleveland was 4-6 in the Dapper Main Event from 1975 through 1985. Then, after a nine year hiatus,

Greater Cleveland is 14-1 (including 3-0 this year) in the DD main event since 1994.

Total 18-7. 72.0 percent.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

"Wow! Ohio's record at the DD is stunning. I wish I could make more out of that statistic. Something tells me that it demonstrates how Ohio is on a par with PA in terms of top tier wrestlers at the least. I do think PA has more depth although if Ohio were a two division state, I might see things differently."

I feel like I need to defend my home state here a little - the out of states stats are skewed by the fact that PA has to field an entire team, while other states are just sending their elite wrestlers.

For example, this year in PA, the 160 class was dominated by two juniors - Marsteller and Peppleman - and our best 220 is also a junior. So in some years, your out of state wrestlers are not facing someone of equal or near-equal caliber in the DD. The surprising thing to me is how close PA came to winning this years DD - had #1 ranked Weircoch held 'service', PA would have won. I don't know the stats, but I'll wager the USA team wins most years?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

"

"Wow! Ohio's record at the DD is stunning. I wish I could make more out of that statistic. Something tells me that it demonstrates how Ohio is on a par with PA in terms of top tier wrestlers at the least. I do think PA has more depth although if Ohio were a two division state, I might see things differently."

I feel like I need to defend my home state here a little - the out of states stats are skewed by the fact that PA has to field an entire team, while other states are just sending their elite wrestlers.

For example, this year in PA, the 160 class was dominated by two juniors - Marsteller and Peppleman - and our best 220 is also a junior. So in some years, your out of state wrestlers are not facing someone of equal or near-equal caliber in the DD. The surprising thing to me is how close PA came to winning this years DD - had #1 ranked Weircoch held 'service', PA would have won. I don't know the stats, but I'll wager the USA team wins most years?"

True, but still PA's best sr.'s at those particular weights vs. OH's best sr's at those particular weights.

The underclassmen thing can work both ways. No need to defend PA, nobody questions their place as the overall best HS wrestling state.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

[quote="Brady Hiatt"]

"

"Wow! Ohio's record at the DD is stunning. I wish I could make more out of that statistic. Something tells me that it demonstrates how Ohio is on a par with PA in terms of top tier wrestlers at the least. "

True, but still PA's best sr.'s at those particular weights vs. OH's best sr's at those particular weights. The underclassmen thing can work both ways. No need to defend PA, nobody questions their place as the overall best HS wrestling state."

i question it, and have for a long time-- my credentials co-director of Reno T of C in 90s and Ironman the past 13 years, did high school team & indiv rankings for AWN for nearly 20 years.

ive always said in high school, Ohio EVEN with PA--in high school-- but no one listened, drowned out by PA's phenomenal college stature which has muddied the high school picture.

However for college PA's tradition, number of div 1 colleges, and on-top expertise enable PA to clearly dominate the college scene-- although ohio is pretty good, 32 NCAA quals alot more than anyone else except PA.

If ohio hadn't cut half of its div 1 college programs -- -- -- --. ..s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next