Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Nominations open for Ohio Wrestling Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
Joe Daugherty added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

Quote from Tim McArthur's post:

"Thanks Joe, Now that we have Mr. Bird moving on this things should start happening. I also sent Bill Splete a Message, hopefully he can get the input of some of the past West End/St. Joe's guys. All you would need to do is take a picture of the Wall of Fame at West End with all the guys that won/placed at state!"

Danny Hanson, Scotty Petch, Groan Brothers, Billy and even I managed to get my picture on that wall.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Nominations open for Ohio Wrestling Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
John Robert Dula added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

I met Rich Hunter twice. The first time was in the quarter finals of the 1959 State Tournament (Hunter by pin). He placed in the top four in the 145 pound weight class that year. The second time I met him was at a youth program duel meet. Coaching youth is not an easy thing to do. Anyone coaching in a successful youth program for all those years and is so well respected by his peers absolutly deserves to be in the Ohio Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

Coach hunter is a quite giant in our sport, he deserves national recognition for his dedication and commitment to wrestling, and he will tell you that mrs. Hunter deserves just as much credit. These are two beautiful people. Their success and ability to reach young people is unmatched. What can u say about two people that taught me early how to compete, and there are times I have lost my way, an it's people like the hunters who help u realize the right path, there is a long line of wrestlers and parents that care about them. They deserve to stand and let us recognize their greatness. So whom ever is listening the line starts with the hunters. Period. It's how all others should be measured.

Hrovat is a west end guy, and long wood and the west end y are two different places and people. That's all I have to say about that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

realistically, need a MIXTURE of old timers who are mostly deceased with newer guys whose families & friends will fill tables at the H of F annual banquet.

(national Hall of Famers not eligible for ohio chapter.)

this is how it works, i know that--
an all-deceased list won't work, but the long-ago deceased greats still need to get in for the Hall to be considered "legit", imo. (If u were starting a Baseball H of F would u leave out Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Dizzy Dean and Bob Feller??)

here's my recommendations, which ive made before btw.

....Joe Begala, stands alone matter of fact. He is THE Giant thats been overlooked. If the Hall again fails to admit him, they should close their doors.

high school coaches, some GIANTS here:
....Mike Papouras, Harold Kester, John Matteucci, Clarence Eckert, Howard Ferguson

Media:
....Dan Fickel, 29 years covering college Div I, II, III, JC, NAIA for WRUSA mag, 18 years covering high school.
....Brian Brakeman, no one in any state does what he's done since the early 70s when there was No internet. Think of it, all he did by hand, pieces of paper, charts spread out on the floor. Retired last year.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"....Brian Brakeman, no one in any state does what he's done since the early 70s when there was No internet. Think of it, all he did by hand, pieces of paper, charts spread out on the floor. Retired last year."

Is the Brakeman out yet? I just wanted to say it one last time. We miss you Brian!

Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

Bill I sent you a pm

Bruce Bird added to this discussion on July 25, 2013

Bill: You express it so eloquently about Rich and also Pat Hunter. It's right on. At one time we had the toughest youth tournament in the state; The West End Y Holiday Tournament. It was all due to Rich and Pat. Rich had the amazing ability and patience to work with the young boys of 5, 6 and 7 who had the attention span of a wild animal. He taught them the basic fundamentals which they carried on as they grew up. He still doing it.
By the way, you're right on about Andy Hrovat. He was with us for a couple of his early years.

If we're to carry this idea further, someone has to let me know what to do.

Bob: Your nominations for the Hall are right on. They are outstanding individuals who all deserve to be recognized.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2