Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: The Pattern Continues
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 2, 2014

Hank:

I enjoy your posts as well.

But whereas in this instance you emphasize the Bucks’ inability to ride (which no doubt was a factor), my sense was that the most significant difference in the match was our inability to get out from bottom.

This was a critical or at least a fairly significant factor in six of the seven bouts we lost.
(This is all from memory, so I’m sure I’ll botch a point or two.)
Languis competed well, but chose down in the third, tied 2 to 2, and then couldn’t get out, so he gave up riding time and got turned, to boot.
Courts got caught for five (thought he was stuck), so of course this was the most significant factor in his match. But to my recall he got ridden out toward the tail end of the second, and then chose neutral to start the third. So assuming two escapes here, to my recall he would have been within a third period takedown of tying or winning the match.
Tavanello (who wrestled a sound strategic match against a very good opponent) got ridden out in the overtime period.
Roberts got ridden out in the overtime period.
Johnni D got ridden out in both overtime periods (with ankle laced each time on the opening whistle).
And while Paddock almost got out to start the second, he didn’t, and ended up giving up riding time which was the difference in the match (gave up late takedown and backs only in closing seconds, when he got out of position while having to go for it).

So again, my sense was that we’ve got to get better at getting out.
And not only at getting out, but in creating greater movement/activity from the bottom, toward putting us in a better position to get out.

Heflin looked good/aggressive, so it was great to see that.
And of course we can’t take Logan for granted, as he dismantled a pretty darn good wrestler (Dutton was two time NCAA qualifier while at Lehigh, round of 12 in ’11, and was 3 and 0 so far this year, with three major decisions in the Big 10).

In any event, I like our team, have great confidence in our coaching staff, and remain very excited about the future of our program.
So let’s keep the faith.

Go Bucks!

And now my parting potshot:
Abounader looked good, esp. for a true freshman, came up with a big win which dug a deep hole for tOSU, and Grajales has been wrestling well of late, and did what he needed to do against a guy who had beaten him the last two times out.
But both of these guys acted like absolute punks following their respective wins, taunting the crowd, etc., and otherwise exhibiting a total absence of class.
So if I were a UM fan, I’d be pretty disappointed in this, and would hope that these two young men are "redirected" (may be too late for Grajales).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The Pattern Continues
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 2, 2014

I watch tons of college wrestling. About to watch my 5th B1G match of the weekend. There is just something different in the attitudes of wrestlers from Iowa, Minny, PSU, and Okie State. These guys step on the mat planning to win every match. Few of these wrestlers waste any time "feeling out" their opponents. They just go execute their plan. The wrestle right through opponents. They don't waste much time giving their opponents any respect.

Right now the only wrestler consistently doing this for the Buckeyes is Logan. What's frustrating is that this is an attitude that needs to consume every team. Over the past few weeks Iowa had Brooks step in as a back-up and beat 3 ranked wrestlers. Yesterday Clark stepped in for Gilman and won 10-1. Bietz for PSU did are great job standing in for Alton. Heck Conaway just beat Youtsey in for Megaludis.

What I'm not clear on (maybe Rex can give some insight here) is where that comes from. At some level it is from the coaches. I can't imagine that Brands, Robinson, or Smith would allow for anything less. Maybe they just only recruit that kind of attitude and recruit that attitude better than all of the rest. But, we do hear Tom Ryan speaking to the effect that he expects his wrestlers to have this attitude.

Is it primarily on the wrestler's shoulders? No doubt in my mind that no one tells Logan to be that way. Obviously we have wrestlers that do not focus as Logan does.

When I was a kid, Jimmy Jordan had a black and white poster made with his picture on it that said, "The amount of confidence you have is directly proportional to how hard you have worked." Is this the issue? Rex has broken this thought down well for us in the past though. And the reality is just working hard doesn't give you confidence. Working hard with daily task oriented drills that fix a specific issue is what makes you better. Is this about coaching or about athletes that lack the complete focus necessary to be champions.

I guess I would have to lean towards saying from the coaching perspective that it is difficult to fully know what you get when you recruit. There must be something that Robinson and Brands look for specifically in an attitude above and beyond wrestling skills. I saw a fishing show yesterday and Urban Meyer was the guest. He actually said he likes to take that recruit he sees something special in but might be a 1/2 step slower or 2 inches shorter and develop them into something great.

As for the athletes, well, the fact is, if you really want to be a champion…you have to live this sport 24/7/365 in a very focused manner. That just isn't for everyone. And, a lot of young men really don't come to that understanding until they are in the college wrestling room.

So, where are we headed? Fortunately, here's what we do know: next season we have 5 projected starters that we know possess the right attitude and tools to be national champions. That leaves us with 5 other weights that have to decide if they are ready to live the lifestyle of champions 24/7/365.

It's still tough to assess DiJulius, but I am convinced that he trains like a champion. I think he will continue to improve.

I don't know about Demas at this point. Micah Jordan has really matured physically this year. I have to suspect he will be ready to compete at 157 next year. I'd be shocked if he didn't have the right attitude, but he is not in the room yet, so it's hard to tell.

Mark Martin is improving. I don't know his level of commitment to continue to improve. Across the board, I have had little disappointment in Martin this season and want to think he will be a factor in the championship race next season.

Courts? I'm really disappointed with Courts this year. I don't know what's going on there. Some folks have already commented to his work ethic as far as 24/7/365 is concerned. Gees, he has all of the talent in the world, but that isn't enough. So, if Courts isn't the guy, who fills this class? Courts has to buckle down and commit to this thing!

That leaves us with 285. I'm still satisfied that Tav can improve. I don't know how good Haines really is nor what his attitude will be because he is not in the room yet. And yes, Karageorge wrestles a lot and seems committed, though his success on the big stage has been marginal. That being said, this is a good working group, especially when you throw Kyle Snyder in as a work-out partner.

It really looks like we have 2-3 wt classes next year that need better resolution. And, that does not even account for injuries. Roberts is very capable to step in next year for an injury in the lower weights. Not sure where we stand with Jake Ryan and if he is working hard on his wrestling while he prepares to enroll at tOSU (I can only assume he is). Jordan/Demas at 157 should be good. No idea what kind of quality depth we have from 141, 149, & 165-197

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2