Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The State Tournament
Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 8, 2019

Hank,

Whats the scoop on Najee Lockett, a Junior from Shaker. I never heard of this kid until this weekend. 41-0 and will face #1 nationally rank Kharchla in finals. Tall order indeed.

But whats the story on the kid?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Christopher Sommers added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Quote from Al McIntosh's post:

"Hank,

Whats the scoop on Najee Lockett, a Junior from Shaker. I never heard of this kid until this weekend. 41-0 and will face #1 nationally rank Kharchla in finals. Tall order indeed.

But whats the story on the kid?"

He wrestled youth for shaker and did quite well at OACs, then he went off to Ignatius through his sophmore year and placed last year at 160 I believe. I've been lucky to see Najee develop since his youth days and I was in high school at Shaker. He is a kid who puts in the work year round taking care of his body. He must have been 8 or so when I was a Junior and I think he was more built and defined than anyone on the high school team when he was that young. He's always been very respectful and hardworking. Greets anyone with a handshake, just an overall great young man. He is also quite possibly the freakiest athlete I have ever seen, so fast and strong.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Crace (145) in finals and Pattison (220) wrestles for 7th.

Excited for them - but more proud that these two wrestled with great attitude and effort. Looking forward to sitting in their corner one more time.

Other state ramblings: watched Mechanicsburg’s 132 take a upsetting loss. He was winning 1-0 in third period. Riding legs and working power half. Legs became body scissors and when bottom guy tried to shake off power half, scissors became a figure for around the body. Ref immediately called illegal hold (his words an after match talk with the head of officiating, himself and Doggett) - no problem there. Then, kid on bottom geabs his ahoulder, ref calls “recovery time” instead of injury time. Kid says he can’t continue and Burg’s 132 lost on a default. Let me reitterate, a default occurs for a body figure four because a shoulder is hurt???? Kid wrestled again that day - no shoulder brace, tape, or any signs of injury. Not sure as a coch how you let that happen.

106 - Skinner from Lasalle, IMHO had a clear takedown twice (all the way behind with both boots in and bottom guy was pulling on his head (think guy riding legs and almost getting pulled over for a defensive pin).

Finally, reffing late in third peruods continues to be a problem. If you are winning and you are defending attacks the exact same way as other guy was doing in the first two periods, now magically you are stalling. Reffing to the period and score instead of being consistent in how you call action is a MAJOR problem. Easily the most fristrating / maddening issue to deal with coaching in OH. I understand the difficulty of their job and for the most part think they’ve done a great job officiating these matches, but this is a problem year in and year out.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Who is this Hudson Jump (great name) kid from Grandview Hgts? Tearing up the 220 D3 bracket. I wonder if he has signed with anyone yet.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

"Hank,

Al: Najee and Farouq Muhammad are a year apart in school and came up through Shaker Youth. Jaivon Jones, who earned his second state placement yesterday, developed into a stud while at Shaker. Najee placed third in Middle School states in 8th grade while Farouq was a middle school state champion.

Najee spent two years at Ignatius but returned. He didn't like the school. Farouq never wanted to leave Shaker but there were issues beyond his control and he ended up at Elyria last season where he took 4th. He got in trouble this year and ended up moving to a different community and not wrestling so he could get away from the source of his trouble. He is a good kid who got involved with a bad influence and paid a big price.

Jaivon's living situation changed abruptly and was beyond his control. He spent a lot of extra time this season training with his former coaches.

If all three had stayed put, Shaker would be top ten in state this season.

Will Knight has produced state placers every season he's been head coach at Shaker. The rest of the program is not very strong but we're working on it.

And that's the story. Details have been withheld because I don't see a point in airing dirty laundry in public. Let's just say I have a lot of empathy for Will Knight as he's a good coach and a good influence on his wrestlers. He's had to deal with a number of tricky situations.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Crace (145) in finals and Pattison (220) wrestles for 7th.

Excited for them - but more proud that these two wrestled with great attitude and effort. Looking forward to sitting in their corner one more time.

Other state ramblings: watched Mechanicsburg’s 132 take a upsetting loss. He was winning 1-0 in third period. Riding legs and working power half. Legs became body scissors and when bottom guy tried to shake off power half, scissors became a figure for around the body. Ref immediately called illegal hold (his words an after match talk with the head of officiating, himself and Doggett) - no problem there. Then, kid on bottom geabs his ahoulder, ref calls “recovery time” instead of injury time. Kid says he can’t continue and Burg’s 132 lost on a default. Let me reitterate, a default occurs for a body figure four because a shoulder is hurt???? Kid wrestled again that day - no shoulder brace, tape, or any signs of injury. Not sure as a coch how you let that happen.

106 - Skinner from Lasalle, IMHO had a clear takedown twice (all the way behind with both boots in and bottom guy was pulling on his head (think guy riding legs and almost getting pulled over for a defensive pin).

Finally, reffing late in third peruods continues to be a problem. If you are winning and you are defending attacks the exact same way as other guy was doing in the first two periods, now magically you are stalling. Reffing to the period and score instead of being consistent in how you call action is a MAJOR problem. Easily the most fristrating / maddening issue to deal with coaching in OH. I understand the difficulty of their job and for the most part think they’ve done a great job officiating these matches, but this is a problem year in and year out."

I couldn’t agree more, particularly regarding the last paragraph. You can control and lead for 2 1/2 periods but for some reason a ref wants to change the match because the other guy is in panic mode. That is not to say you should let someone disengage or continually back up. But if your engaging in some way, the last 30 seconds shouldn’t be treated differently than the rest. Someone who controls most of the match shouldn’t get penalized for it.

Like Logan’s first title and the complaints about the no takedown call: Oliver waits 6 minutes and 55 seconds to win? Too bad.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Brady, the stall calls are absurd, could not agree more. Another call that I have seen way too much is fleeing the mat. It is misinterpreted a lot. I have seen fleeing called while a kid is sprawling, finishing a shot, hitting a mat return, etc. Frustrating.

The worst loss I saw this weekend, however was a wrestler from Oregon Clay. He tied the match to force OT. The other wrestler used his second injury time at the end of regulation, so the Clay wrestler got the choice and chose bottom. Hits quick stand up, the top wrestler dropped to the ankles, Clay kicked out for an escape, but his shoe fell off. The Clay wrestler lost because it is an automatic point if your shoe comes off in a match. That was how he lost his match to place! Brutal!

Hudson Jump is a STUD! He has not lost in 2 years and is now a 4 time state placer.

Hudson Jump has indicated an intention to walk on at Ohio State. Personally, I'd like to see him go to CSU. I want to see Josh Moore get his hands on some talented, overlooked kids.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Hudson Jump has indicated an intention to walk on at Ohio State. Personally, I'd like to see him go to CSU. I want to see Josh Moore get his hands on some talented, overlooked kids."

Hudson Jump is a diamond in the rough! Amazingly talented and a great kid from what I can tell.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

My Heavyweight Jacob Padilla is in the finals!! Let’s go!! Hoping for my first heavyweight champ tonight!!

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"My Heavyweight Jacob Padilla is in the finals!! Let’s go!! Hoping for my first heavyweight champ tonight!!"

Good luck

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

"

"Hank,

Al: Najee and Farouq Muhammad are a year apart in school and came up through Shaker Youth. Jaivon Jones, who earned his second state placement yesterday, developed into a stud while at Shaker. Najee placed third in Middle School states in 8th grade while Farouq was a middle school state champion.

Najee spent two years at Ignatius but returned. He didn't like the school. Farouq never wanted to leave Shaker but there were issues beyond his control and he ended up at Elyria last season where he took 4th. He got in trouble this year and ended up moving to a different community and not wrestling so he could get away from the source of his trouble. He is a good kid who got involved with a bad influence and paid a big price.

Jaivon's living situation changed abruptly and was beyond his control. He spent a lot of extra time this season training with his former coaches.

Will Knight has produced state placers every season he's been head coach at Shaker. The rest of the program is not very strong but we're working on it.

And that's the story. Details have been withheld because I don't see a point in airing dirty laundry in public. Let's just say I have a lot of empathy for Will Knight as he's a good coach and a good influence on his wrestlers. He's had to deal with a number of tricky situations."

Thanks for the update Hank and Chris. This kid (Najee) is the real deal. Gotta think he will be heavily recruited no matter what the outcome of the finals will be. Too bad Najee and Farouq couldn't end up as teammates this year.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

"

"Hank,

And that's the story. Details have been withheld because I don't see a point in airing dirty laundry in public. Let's just say I have a lot of empathy for Will Knight as he's a good coach and a good influence on his wrestlers. He's had to deal with a number of tricky situations."

Thanks for the update Hank and Chris. This kid (Najee) is the real deal. Gotta think he will be heavily recruited no matter what the outcome of the finals will be. Too bad Najee and Farouq couldn't end up as teammates this year.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 9, 2019

"

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"My Heavyweight Jacob Padilla is in the finals!! Let’s go!! Hoping for my first heavyweight champ tonight!!"

Good luck"

Thanks!

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 10, 2019

shoe should be handled like headgear,

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next