Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa vs. tOSU
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2022

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Lineup update..DeSanto now listed as a potential. If he wrestled, money on him getting into it with someone in the crowd. The suffocating closeness of Covelli might trigger him."

Someone make sure Dan Ransick is in attendance.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2022

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank with a zinger for the ages!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 20, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Hoping Romero beats the hell out of Assad.

I've got nothing against Assad, but after the close loss to Amine I want to see a ticked off Romero destroy an inferior opponent."

I don’t know him personally but have a lot of respect for how Kaleb carries himself. I hope he realizes he almost beat the Olympic bronze medalist and can beat anyone. I know Brooks is the overwhelming favorite but if he is going to have trouble an absolute athlete like Kaleb can give it to him.

Go Bucks.

Last edited by Roe Fox on January 20, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 20, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Lineup update..DeSanto now listed as a potential. If he wrestled, money on him getting into it with someone in the crowd. The suffocating closeness of Covelli might trigger him."

Someone make sure Dan Ransick is in attendance."

I’ll be there: six rows back. I just hope the little kid next to me last week is home.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2022

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

I’ll be there: six rows back. I just hope the little kid next to me last week is home."

Yeah, I'm staying home this week. ;-)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 21, 2022

I hate to say it but I think I'm looking forward to the Mich-PSU match more than the OSU match, especially if Lee wrestles at 141. Great matches at 141 and 174-285.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 21, 2022

Hubbard is really really really hard to watch he does nothing.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 21, 2022

HUGE!!!!

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 21, 2022

HUGE!!!!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Tom Brands — huge thumbs down tonight. Turned his back on every tOSU wrestler that came over to shake hands after their match.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him lose every time.

On a positive for Iowa. Kemmerer is A+.

Best quote of the night: Old Buckeye fan man sitting right next to Iowa bench yells “Xichigan still sucks”. Eierman replies with a laugh, “now that I can agree with!”

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Nice wins by Malik and Carson. That was a fun match to watch.

Nice to get two O.T. wins tonight.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Hoffman is a nice surprise this year. He is at least competitive this year with the top 10 guys. If Warner hadn't gotten that riding time point who knows what the outcome would have been. Hoffman and D'Emilio are again, are at least competitive with the top guys, that's an improvement. They both have good motors too.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Covelli was electric last night. It’s been a minute, but a team like Iowa always brings out the fandom. A couple take aways from last nights dual.
-This is not the same Iowa team from last year. There is absolutely something missing. They are are a great team, but I’m not sure they are better than Michigan, and no one is even remotely close to PSU.
-I’m sure we’ve all heard our fair share of rumors about DeSanto. Sitting mat side I found it incredibly odd to see a coaching staff have to reassure a fifth year senior as frequently as all four coaches did. Hearing phrases like “you’re fine…keep doing what you’re doing…stay focused…etc”. Lots of visual gestures pointing to the head about staying calm and smart. It blows me away that someone that’s already a fifth year two time AA would require that much reassurance. Is he that much of a head case? He was wrestling one of the Koontz brothers, not RBY for crying out loud. Super odd.
-I thought Malik showed a lot of poise with lots of bad officiating calls and cramping in the third. He demonstrated a level of veteran composure that wasn’t apparent last week. Solid win over a very tough freshman.
-My Dad was seconding the same thing that Brady mentioned above about the Brands conduct in the corner. He’s never been a fan of the “sprint off the mat, don’t shake hands, tough talk” that has come to represent the brand that is “Brands”. It makes for good drama and entertainment for sure, but I agree with Brady…it’s played out. Although I’ll still look forward to the Big Ten mini doc coming out.
-This is a better Ohio State team than last year. Kaleb may have wrestled a squeaker against the number #18 guy in the country, but make no mistake, Assad is a former world champ, and an absolute AA threat. Kaleb, Ethan, Sammy, and Carson should rack up sizable points at NCAAs. Tate and Malik have outside shots at low AA given the right draw, and Dylan and Gavin should score some points. With 4/5 AA (potentially one or two finalist) can this team push for a top five finish?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Generally speaking, the Bucks competed hard and that's all I can ask for as a fan. I enjoyed the effort.

Iowa is not close to PSU. Their best wrestler right now is Kemmerer. Without Lee, they're probably 3rd.

Pretty sure Desanto is somewhere on the autism spectrum. He's easy to dislike but I don't think he can help his behavior. One thing's for sure; he wrestles hard.

I'm a Heinselman "fanboy" for a reason. Last night we saw him at his best. He had not wrestled that way for a while.

A somersault to a short drag to an ankle breakdown was also my favorite string of wrestling moves as a competitor....said no one ever except Carson Kharchla.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 22, 2022

Solid night for the Bucks. Outside of 197, they won all of the competitive bouts with late takedowns.

Bottom wrestling was solid in big matches. Kharchla never gets the chance for the winning TD had he first not worked so hard to get out from under Marinelli. Ayala had no chance of riding Malik.

Orndorff and Hoffman scored takedowns in losses to superior opponents, and D'Emilio stayed out of trouble against the dangerous Eierman. These are important steps toward March success.

Sammy is off. He's used to winning 90% of scramble situations. He's winning about 75%. I don't know enough about scramble positions to identify the problem.

As others have noted, Iowa benefitted from the free Covid year probably more than any other team in the country. Next year will be Ohio State's turn to benefit, and I really hope the program takes advantage.

Without knowing anything about their personal or academic situations, I'd love to see Heinselman, Smith, Romero and Orndorff back for another season.

Add to them the greatest recruiting class in program history and you have a lineup capable of beating maybe anyone.

125-Heinselman
133-Gonzalez/Bouzakis
141-D'Emilio/Mendez
149-Sasso
157-Gallagher
165-Kharchla
174-Smith
184-Romero
197-Hoffman/Jordan/Shumate
285-Orndorff/Feldman

Also look for the coaching staff to be aggressive on the transfer portal. The NIL makes OSU an attractive destination.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next