Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU development criticism
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

BTW, I loved seeing Nickerson warm up with Alirez at the Scuffle. It was cool.

Does Facundo All-American this year? He's got good defense and handfighting. But struggling to score offensive points against like ranked opponents.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

Rex: Nice to hear your comments about Corey. I always thought he overachieved as he was a state 4th in high school at 189. Interesting that you feel he just needed the right instruction.

Incidentally, if they had AA status for being a great human being, Corey Morrison would have been an NCAA champ.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

In 2009 Corey was a top 20 heavyweight. He beat Edinboro in a dual. That wrestler was in the round of 12 and lost SV. In the dual against Porter from Kent, he could've won that match with smarter tactics. Pulling this from memory, I remember thinking that to myself, damn, he should beat that guy. Porter had a high seed and finished sixth.

Corey was a mobile heavyweight with a great snatch single. He just needed a little more of a progression to his existing attack. An elbow pass and inside drag would've sufficed and gone a long way to improving his chances of AA. I got into the room maybe twice. I was motivated to work with him. Anyway, it was like can you wrestle live with him. It wasn't what I went there for. I wanted to work on the aforementioned. I mean drill it for an hour straight. I was a guest. I relented to wrestling live.

Anyway, I went one more time. Practice was cancelled that day and I knew I was done. Too emotional and maybe my pride was hurt.

Anyway, I really liked working with him and thought he was an outstanding person as well. Plus, I believed he had the aptitude to get it done.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 19, 2023

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"EDIT: Another thing I'll add... We should be benchmarking the program against PSU. This is Ohio State, the best collegiate athletic program in the country (world?). We are in a talent-rich area and have a good not-so-distant history. As fans, we should expect to be the best. "

Agreed. I think the quote from the AD after they won the title in 2015 was something along the lines of: "we do not sponsor a sport that doesn't have the ability or resources to win a national title."

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Her name is Bonnie Epstein and yes it's mental. She was a game-changer for Cael. She helped him so much that she was with him at the Olympic games, Iowa State, and now Penn State. As is the case with most great things there is always a buckeye close behind. She is from North East Ohio, specifically Richmond Heights.
She was instrumental in Cael's Gold Medal and the mental development of his athletes. Listen to wrestlingchangedmylife podcast with Bo Nickal. They all see her during their first year in college and any time they need her. If you have ever been in the room, she is the little old lady sitting at the edge of the bleachers, unassuming but very valuable. She is a gem, and if you don't learn from her, you will be behind as most schools are.

Don Bork added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Watching the PSU Michigan match. Seeing Bartlet, Van Neess, Haines, and Facundo. The next wave of National Championships for PSU Is upon us. TOSU is not developing their recruits in this same way.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Watching the PSU Michigan match. Seeing Bartlet, Van Neess, Haines, and Facundo. The next wave of National Championships for PSU Is upon us. TOSU is not developing their recruits in this same way."

I put over under on National Titles for those 4 at 2.6

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Watching the PSU Michigan match. Seeing Bartlet, Van Neess, Haines, and Facundo. The next wave of National Championships for PSU Is upon us. TOSU is not developing their recruits in this same way."

I put over under on National Titles for those 4 at 2.6"

I can see Van Ness and Haines winning titles but don’t see it with Beau. He has beaten no one and if his singlet said anything other than PSU he wouldn’t be ranked 4th.

I could see Facudo having a Bo Jordan like career. So by some folks on here an under preforming career.

Be interesting to see what happens with Haines and Facudo because Cael has said Haines wont be able to maintain 157 next year.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

149- Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) MD Ethen Miller (Maryland) 12-1

157- Paddy Gallagher (Ohio State) TF Kevin Schork (Maryland) 22-5

165- Carson Kharchla (Ohio State) dec Martin Best (Maryland) 7-2

174- Isaac Wilcox (Ohio State) dec Dominic Solis (Maryland) 3-1 SV

184- Kaleb Romero (Ohio State) TF Chase Mielnik (Maryland) 22-7

197- Maryland Forfeits

285- Tate Orndorff (Ohio State) dec Jaron Smith (Maryland) 3-1

125- Braxton Brown (Maryland) pin Brendan McCrone (Ohio State)

133- Jesse Mendez (Ohio State) pin Conner Quinn (Maryland) 2:31

141- Dylan D’Emilio (Ohio State) dec Kal Miller (Maryland) 6-3

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 20, 2023

Went to the tOSU-UMd dual meet. It was a lot of fun. Packed arena, mostly because they invited a bunch of local high school wrestling teams. Sat a few rows behind Robin Ficker.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 21, 2023

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"Her name is Bonnie Epstein and yes it's mental. She was a game-changer for Cael. She helped him so much that she was with him at the Olympic games, Iowa State, and now Penn State. As is the case with most great things there is always a buckeye close behind. She is from North East Ohio, specifically Richmond Heights.
She was instrumental in Cael's Gold Medal and the mental development of his athletes. Listen to wrestlingchangedmylife podcast with Bo Nickal. They all see her during their first year in college and any time they need her. If you have ever been in the room, she is the little old lady sitting at the edge of the bleachers, unassuming but very valuable. She is a gem, and if you don't learn from her, you will be behind as most schools are."

Bill, ive heard this before, how legit is this info? i don't wish to be known as a guy who spreads bad info, lol

if u wish, email me ohiobobp@aol.com

Bill Splete added to this discussion on January 21, 2023

Bob…100% book it Dano! I wish he would write the story of his loss against Fulhart and his journey to Gold…I think that journey is why he has helped so many of his athletes… the guy was about mental prep before anyone, because of Bonnie!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 21, 2023

do u know her, or know of her, Bill ?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 21, 2023

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bonnie-epstein-3a159a31

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 22, 2023

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Bill, ive heard this before, how legit is this info? i don't wish to be known as a guy who spreads bad info, lol"

Bob, here is a link to a story from 2013 which refers to her as the team counselor: https://archive.triblive.com/sports/college/pennstate/sanderson-leaving-quite-a-legacy-with-penn-state-wrestling/. If you google her name and PSU wrestling you'll find other articles mentioning her as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next