Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Wrestling Pool Competition
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

My strategy was largely based upon putting people in the finals.

I figured acquiring 4-2nd seeded wrestlers costing 148 v 3 first seeded at 196, made more sense with the seeding and AWN rankings being somewhat arbitrary. broken down. 2 seeds being Delgado, Stieber, Ramos, &Taylor. (I think Delgado and Stieber represent the best chance at winning of those 4.)

cost
196x3=588
148x4=592

placement points
3x16=48
4x12=48

likelihood of 1/4, 2 seeds beating a 1 seed are very good.

(2x16)+12=44
(3x12)+16=52

Again just speculation.

Hank- I almost took Grajales as well. he has the same issue as Camp. Cannot wrestle a full match at peak intensity. It is an attainable skill, but it needs to be addressed a specific way in some wrestlers. Not all wrestlers fit the conventional modality of training.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...I almost took Grajales as well. he has the same issue as Camp. Cannot wrestle a full match at peak intensity. It is an attainable skill, but it needs to be addressed a specific way in some wrestlers. Not all wrestlers fit the conventional modality of training."

In all of my ramblings about Campolattano, this is all I have been trying to say. Thanks for articulating, Rex.

Mark-

This one hits close to home.

I will make an analogy though, which anyone can understand. My daughter Kallie is dyslexic and cannot be taught by conventional means. Conventional teaching is largely based upon memorization and regurgitation of facts.

Conventional teaching addresses those kids who are wired for memorization and regurgitation of facts. Some kids are not. Some kids are wired differently.

The way preparation works has been largely influenced by Gable. Outwork your opponent. It is largely accepted in our community and works for most wrestlers or at least improves them marginally. Sounds like the way the education system is set up, huh?

Camp has a big hole in his game which is not being remedied nor will it by conventional practices. He is not mentally conditioned to do what needs to be done. He is part of the class getting the same instruction and taking part in the same practice. But it does not work for him.

At this point he has suffered trauma and whether he can work his way through it remains to be seen. He can build up his ability to wrestle at peak intensity for a whole match, but the existing framework does not address his wiring.

Most people know that I was an NCAA Champion, but I also failed at two NCAA championships. I lost in the 2nd round my sophomore year because according to others " I was a head case."

Whatevs. Wrestling is on.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Hi Rex. Your posts on alternative training interest me, especially when you mentioned about training yourself to do certain things when you are fatigued. Do you have something specific in mind for a guy like Camp who appeared to not gas and just mentally check out yesterday against the guy from Penn? His match yesterday looked like a carbon copy of his first match at the Big Tens a couple weeks ago.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

"Mark-

This one hits close to home.

I will make an analogy though, which anyone can understand. My daughter Kallie is dyslexic and cannot be taught by conventional means. Conventional teaching is largely based upon memorization and regurgitation of facts.

Conventional teaching addresses those kids who are wired for memorization and regurgitation of facts. Some kids are not. Some kids are wired differently.

The way preparation works has been largely influenced by Gable. Outwork your opponent. It is largely accepted in our community and works for most wrestlers or at least improves them marginally. Sounds like the way the education system is set up, huh?

Camp has a big hole in his game which is not being remedied nor will it by conventional practices. He is not mentally conditioned to do what needs to be done. He is part of the class getting the same instruction and taking part in the same practice. But it does not work for him.

At this point he has suffered trauma and whether he can work his way through it remains to be seen. He can build up his ability to wrestle at peak intensity for a whole match, but the existing framework does not address his wiring.

Most people know that I was an NCAA Champion, but I also failed at two NCAA championships. I lost in the 2nd round my sophomore year because according to others " I was a head case."

Whatevs. Wrestling is on."

Rex: I always love your analysis. You have an understanding of the mental, physical, and technical side of this sport that very few others can support.

As to Andrew, my humble opinion of the matches that I have seen of him on 'flo' is that the only 'superior' wrestler that he competed against all year is Dustin Kilgore. Killer is definitely in another class. In all other matches that Andrew lost, I felt as though he could have (and should have) been able to overcome his opponents with positive offense and assertion of his will. When he put his mind to fully commit to a move, his physical and technical attack can dominate any opponent (not named Kilgore). However, that high level internal drive to finish and dominate does not seem to be there against the better level competition. - It's almost like he doesn't know how good he is, or how good he can be. When he get past that hurdle, he could dominate like Ruth.

I think that most of his losses probably occurred in the last 30 seconds of a match. That's when the true winners emerge and dominate.

Just a fan's opinion!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

"I so got you Patrick and today is when I make my run for a trophy;)"

You have me dead to rights. That being said, I hope we do this again next year. I will try to spend more time on it.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

"I so got you Patrick and today is when I make my run for a trophy;)"

You have me dead to rights. That being said, I hope we do this again next year. I will try to spend more time on it."

Ahh...who doesn't have you dead to rights?

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

how did you get logan,jordan,taylor,and ruth!!!Four possible champs that's tough to beat.

TRICE is an IDIOT!!!!

^^^ losing 1-0 to start 3rd. You're 285 freakin' pounds. GO DOWN and STAND-UP. Instead he went neutral and did NOTHING. I'm no Rex Holman analyst, but that's not a plan for victory.

Thorn is proving HUGE for Steve.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

" I'm no Rex Holman analyst..."

Why no sir...no you are not! :-D You earned that.

Mark-

Yes I do. If you look at it as a function of quality of wrestling over time. He has quality for a short amount of time and then it deteriorates and can be catastrophic like yesterday. So,he needs the focus of his training to be lengthening the amount of time he can wrestle from quality position.

Primarily, focus is on tactics and gradually increasing the amount of time of his live wrestling. He needs to develop confidence in his ability to wrestle when fatigued. He is getting fatigued, feeling fear, because he has no confidence in his ability and his position breaks down.

When I say he say he has trauma; it is the mental trauma that comes from going deep into the match and losing repeatedly.

This is the big league's and the truth is that there is another guy who will come along to take your spot, if you don't perform. A coach will label you if you are unable to follow the system just like schools label kids unable to make strides within the curriculum.

Thanks Pat!

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 22, 2013; edited 1 time in total

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

" I'm no Rex Holman analyst..."

Why no sir...no you are not! :-D You earned that."

Yes I did -- but I think I heard an echo since your comment had to travel so far up to reach my ears.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Thanks for the response Rex. I get it. Create situations in practice where a wrestler can gain confidence that he isn't going to fall apart when he gets exhausted.

How much of the game is mental? Seems like a lot from the outside. It seems like that is one of the advantages Logan has over Ramos.

On a different note, my fantasy team sucks. This is karma for picking a guy from Michigan and Iowa. DOH!!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next