Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Wrestling Pool Competition
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Mark: My picks aren't much better. Flirting with the top 10. Buh!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

How much is a semifinal round points worth?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Semi winners will pull an additional 9 in think. They have already been given 6th place points - 3 maybe. I'm pretty sure 1st is worth 16 total. But you get +4 in the finals, plus any bonus. So 12 - 3 = 9.

Maybe.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Mark: My picks aren't much better. Flirting with the top 10. Buh!"

And just like that, you're in 3rd.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 22, 2013

Steve's picks of Shiller and McMullen pushed him to an almost lock for first place.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

I repeat that this was a great idea.

Actually felt that I cared more. Some interesting things regarding performance and forecasting.

1)It still hurts (disappointment) when the guy you have a loose affiliation(at best) loses; felt a case of the nerves come on prior to the session.

2)forecasting is way more difficult than it seems. Interesting that Bob mentioned Ryan's 20/20 hindsight about Killer. We were bound by a salary cap allotment, which in theory at least levels the playing field. A Big Ten school gets ten scholarships to forecast with. Being a fan of analytics, I believe there is a way to assess future success of a student athlete by looking at a profile of their physicality and psychological traits.

3)Coaching plays a huge role in that development. Kudos to Northwestern for two finalist. The rest of their team did not do much but I think Drew does a great job of focusing his resources into the wrestlers that show capability. For instance, he gets Storniolo on staff who is a perfect fit for Welch. I am fairly certain that Bill Scherr has played an active role in McMullan's development althought I could be wrong.

At the end of the day, You are looking for young men that are not only committed to becoming great and are willing to put forth uncommon effort, but have the propensity to develop with the assistance of a coach a unique skillset that translates into success.

As far as OSU goes, average to good performance. If you look at it from a purely statistical model in terms of AA production. AA per year.

Ford:6/10= .6 /yr
Hellickson: 41/20=2/ yr
Ryan: 22/7= 3/yr

So, it has been improving, but I am fairly certain that Coach Ryan wants a National Championship (as did Coach Hellickson. )

So, you might be better off looking at things statistically and objectively in terms of a profile of the athlete than making an emotionally driven decision regarding recruiting. Maybe I will start a thread in which we can collaborate on those qualities of future success along with red flags and if/then statements.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Steve's picks of Shiller and McMullen pushed him to an almost lock for first place."

Yeah... not quite a lock, but definitely favored. If Quentin wins (which I absolutely not root for), then I have a good chance to win.

Otherwise, I need a Tyler Cox pin and all Steve's guys to lose (except the ones I have also). I would then win the tie-breaker, I think.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

Agree 100% with Rex. I'm doing this same thing with a group of coaches/wrestlers around my area. A former wrestler of mine and I were watching all day yesterday. We had a few head to head matches we wouldn't have paid any attention to and we were cheering, screaming, moaning, and gloating before, during, and after the match. We talked "strategy" on how to pick a team. Fantastic addition to the tournament experience for me. Glad you all enjoyed it.

Currently sitting in 3rd with an outside chance of catching top 2. Need a couple upsets to do it.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"
Currently sitting in 3rd with an outside chance of catching top 2. Need a couple upsets to do it."

Get that thought out of your head. Right now.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

Looks like it comes down to Kilgore vs. Q. Unless McMullen upsets Nelson.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

This pool made me watch the tournament in a whole different light. Thanks for setting up Brady!

Its interesting to break this down after all is said and done, to determine all the "what if" scenarios. For example, the bottom of the standings is full of guys that took Telford as their 285. Also, only one person chose McDounough, which I figured might have been a popular pick.

This is the best team you could have put together -- before 165 finals.

Thorn 10 12
Stieber 196 27
Maple 196 24
Houd 59 9
Bonin 10 14.5
Moreno 10 14.5
Brown 148 20
Ruth 196 26
Wright 148 22
Gibson 5 10.5
978 179.5

Final Standings:
#1) steve durose 1 (Cap: 982)
David Thorn Logan Stieber Brandon Nelsen Jordan Oliver Dylan Alton David Taylor Jon Fausey Ed Ruth Scott Schiller Mike McMullan Penn State (119.00) 148.50
#2) Ben Golden 1 (Cap: 997)
Tyler Cox Logan Stieber Nathan Pennesi Jordan Oliver Dylan Alton David Taylor Blake Stauffer Ed Ruth Quentin Wright Odie Delaney Penn State (132.00) 148.50
#3) Brady Hiatt (Cap: 1000)
Nico Megaludis Logan Stieber Zach Neibert Dylan Ness Dylan Alton David Taylor Lee Munster Ed Ruth Mario Gonzalez Jarod Trice Penn State (140.00) 133.00
#4) Ryan Keaton 1 (Cap: 998)
Nathan Kraisser Logan Stieber Mike Nevinger Jordan Oliver Dylan Alton Mike Moreno Jordan Blanton Ed Ruth Kyven Gadson Jimmy Lawson Penn State (138.00) 132.00
#5) Jason Fair 1 (Cap: 989)
Jarrod Garnett Scott Sentes Mike Nevinger Jake Sueflohn Derek St. John David Taylor Robert Kokesh Robert Hamlin Scott Schiller Jarod Trice Penn State (120.00) 130.50
#6) Mark Niemann 1 (Cap: 997)
Nico Megaludis Chris Dardanes Zach Neibert Dylan Ness Dylan Alton David Taylor Jordan Blanton Ed Ruth Kyven Gadson Jeremy Johnson Penn State (109.00) 128.00
#7) Clint Endicott (Cap: 998)
Tyler Cox Logan Stieber Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Dylan Alton David Taylor Josh Asper Robert Hamlin Andrew Campolattano Mike McMullan Penn State (133.00) 127.50
#8) William Danforth 1 (Cap: 998)
Steve Mitcheff Logan Stieber Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Danny Zilverberg David Taylor John-Martin Cannon Ed Ruth Kyven Gadson Jimmy Lawson Penn State (129.00) 123.50
#9) Steve Simok 1 (Cap: 1000)
Jesse Delgado Scott Sentes Hunter Stieber Andrew Alton Dylan Alton Nick Moore Nick Heflin Ed Ruth Quentin Wright Jarod Trice Penn State (136.00) 123.00
#10) Rex Holman 1 (Cap: 997)
Jesse Delgado Tony Ramos Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Danny Zilverberg David Taylor Mike Evans Cody Magrum Andrew Campolattano Dom Bradley Penn State (122.00) 122.50
#11) Hank Kornblut 1 (Cap: 999)
Jesse Delgado Logan Stieber Hunter Stieber Eric Grajales Dylan Alton Conrad Polz Robert Kokesh Cody Magrum Dustin Kilgore Jeremy Johnson Penn State (132.00) 121.50
#12) John Ice 1 (Cap: 997)
Jesse Delgado Tyler Graff Nick Dardanes Dylan Ness Georgi Ivanov Taylor Massa Logan Storley Mike Larson Quentin Wright Alan Gelogaev Penn State (152.00) 121.50
#13) Sean Koran 1 (Cap: 990)
Jarrod Garnett Nathan McCormick Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Derek St. John Taylor Massa Nick Heflin Ethen Lofthouse Alfonso Hernandez Mike McMullan Penn State (110.00) 121.00
#14) chris thomas 1 (Cap: 995)
Jarrod Garnett Tony Ramos Nick Dardanes Andrew Alton Dylan Alton David Taylor Jordan Blanton Ed Ruth Scott Schiller Adam Chalfant Penn State (123.00) 118.00
#15) Kyle klotz 1 (Cap: 994)
Nikko Triggas Logan Stieber Hunter Stieber Nick Brascetta Josh Demas David Taylor Logan Storley Ed Ruth Andrew Campolattano Levi Cooper Penn State (138.00) 117.00
#16) Bruce Andrews 1 (Cap: 995)
Nahshon Garrett Jon Morrison Nick Dardanes Jordan Oliver Danny Zilverberg Conrad Polz Robert Kokesh Ed Ruth Micah Burak Jimmy Lawson Oklahoma State (120.00) 115.00
#17) Ethan Moore 1 (Cap: 979)
Nico Megaludis Nathan McCormick Undrakhbayar Khishgnyam Dylan Ness Josh Demas David Taylor Cody Walters Jacob Swartz Dustin Kilgore Jeremy Johnson Penn State (111.00) 114.50
#18) Pat Altvater 1 (Cap: 996)
Nikko Triggas Tony Ramos Mark Ballweg Ivan Lopouchanski Derek St. John David Taylor Nick Heflin Steve Bosak Andrew Campolattano Dom Bradley Penn State (128.00) 114.00
#19) Jason Jackson 1 (Cap: 999)
Jarrod Garnett George DiCamillo Mike Nevinger Dylan Ness James Green David Taylor Nick Heflin Kevin Steinhaus Scott Schiller Jarod Trice Penn State (106.00) 113.50
#20) Justin Shannon 1 (Cap: 994)
Jarrod Garnett Scott Sentes Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Dylan Alton Patrick Graham Robert Kokesh Ed Ruth Andrew Campolattano Jarod Trice Penn State (126.00) 109.00
#21) Brad Proudfoot 1 (Cap: 994)
Jesse Delgado Nathan McCormick Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Josh Demas Patrick Graham Robert Kokesh Max Thomusseit Matt Wilps Jeremy Johnson Penn State (121.00) 104.50
#22) Jason Schulze 1 (Cap: 997)
Jarrod Garnett Tony Ramos Steven Keith Dylan Ness Dylan Alton David Taylor Josh Asper Kevin Steinhaus Scott Schiller Bobby Telford Penn State (124.00) 98.50
#23) Kevin Christensen 1 (Cap: 998)
Jarrod Garnett Tyler Graff Mark Ballweg Andrew Alton Dylan Alton David Taylor Logan Storley Kevin Steinhaus Taylor Meeks Mike McClure Penn State (137.00) 98.00
#24) Leo Zimmer 1 (Cap: 978)
Josh Martinez Logan Stieber Nick Dardanes Nick Brascetta Dylan Alton Mark Lewandowski Logan Storley Ed Ruth Scott Schiller Bobby Telford Penn State (139.00) 98.00
#25) Denny Pool 1 (Cap: 987)
Nico Megaludis Logan Stieber Hunter Stieber Dylan Ness Walter Peppelman Nick Sulzer Nick Heflin Max Thomusseit Andrew Campolattano Bobby Telford Penn State (123.00) 96.50
#26) Jeff Esmont 1 (Cap: 978)
Nikko Triggas Logan Stieber Nick Dardanes Dylan Ness Josh Demas David Taylor Josh Asper Kevin Steinhaus Andrew Campolattano Zac Thomusseit Ohio State (128.00) 95.50
#27) Mark Cummings 1 (Cap: 1000)
Nico Megaludis Nathan McCormick Hunter Stieber Andrew Alton Josh Demas David Taylor Dan Yates Kevin Steinhaus Taylor Meeks Bobby Telford Penn State (140.00) 94.50
#28) Antony Sharples 1 (Cap: 954)
Jarrod Garnett Jordan Conaway Nick Dardanes Jordan Oliver James Fleming Nick Sulzer Nick Heflin Kevin Steinhaus Scott Schiller Jeremy Johnson Penn State (124.00) 94.00
#29) Patrick Campbell 1 (Cap: 967)
Jarrod Garnett Logan Stieber Mark Ballweg Dylan Ness Jesse Dong Conrad Polz Nick Heflin Chris Chionuma Blake Rosholt Bobby Telford (0.00) 93.00
#30) Ryan Dickson 1 (Cap: 998)
Josh Martinez Scott Sentes Mark Ballweg Dylan Ness Dylan Alton David Taylor Cody Walters Ben Bennett Dustin Kilgore Bobby Telford Penn State (117.00) 91.00
#31) Brandon Howes 1 (Cap: 998)
Nico Megaludis Chris Dardanes Mark Ballweg Dylan Ness Josh Demas Tyler Caldwell Jordan Blanton Robert Hamlin Micah Burak Bobby Telford Penn State (140.00) 89.00
#32) Mark Palumbo 1 (Cap: 997)
Matt McDonough Levi Wolfensperger Nick Dardanes Dylan Ness Dylan Alton Kyle Dake Josh Asper Ethen Lofthouse Dustin Kilgore Jimmy Lawson Minnesota(138.00) 88.50

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2013

I got 6th. Arrrrgh. Loved it though! Great, great stuff!!!

Thanks to Brady for organizing, and thanks to 26 of you for playing along. You other 5 can go find yourself!!! ;-)

Congrats to Golden and Derose on your high score.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I got 6th. Arrrrgh. Loved it though! Great, great stuff!!!

Thanks to Brady for organizing, and thanks to 26 of you for playing along. You other 5 can go find yourself!!! ;-)

Congrats to Golden and Derose on your high score."

It's all those camps you've told me that Golden's attended. Obviously helped.

Find myself? I want some peppas!!!!!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next