Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Discussion Topic: NCAA results
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Agree, the stalling call was bad. Nick wrestled his plan and lost due the stalling point. If no stalling it goes to OT. With the stalling he loses by 1/2 second. A 5/5/2 career is pretty impressive. I'll take a Heflin on my team any day. Proud of you Nick!"

I'm proud of him too, but go back and listen to the replay. The ref clearly warns him prior to the restart after he had just gone OOB again. He needed to show offense before the last 5 seconds.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

I agree with the first warning, not with the second, based on how calls have been made in the last round. The second officials call determined the match, not the wrestlers.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

I think Heflin's inability to ride cost him a little bit. It just made him look less competitive. His body language, and getting pushed all over the mat also led to the stalling calls. Not just the lack of any shots.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

I had to agree with the stall call, but he shot that last attempt with 8 sec. to go, and literally lost by one second, as the slow motion replay showed. You live by the sword, you die by the sword...

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"As much as I wanted Heflin to win -- he did NOTHING the first 6:50 of the match. Stall calls deserved. Then he had 35 seconds or more after the call to get going and waited till 10 seconds left."

Brady:
Watch the third period again. I just did, apparently glutton for more punishment. IMO the second stall call was not warranted, period, based on what was going on at that point in the match. Heflin got out with 1:22 to go, got a decent underhook, and Cox blocked off at the thigh and then backed directly off the mat. The two then stood in the center of the mat until the :40 second or so point, with Cox spending at least a portion of this time with his hands on his knees. Cox then initiated a half shot and follow which Heflin cleared and jumped away from but then immediately re-engaged toward a throw, twice, with the two going off the mat at or about the :30 second mark, whichnis when Heflin got hit. Cox's only true "offense" during the third period occurred during this ten second window, and Heflin had some offense during this window as well.
If you look at this in that context, I don't see the justification for the call, and believe the ref wrongfully decided the match.
Plus, we all clamor for consistency in calls, particularly stalling. Well, they haven't called stalling in this sort of situation all year. So this ref picked a gosh-awful time to start.
Regardless, I wish the clock was a half a tick slower...

Last edited by Casey Talbott on March 23, 2014; edited 2 times in total

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 22, 2014

I hope next year Logan gets to the finals and is the last match of the night, with the team title on the line. That would be epic.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Jack, given the current formula of picking star wrestlers from Ohio to wrestle the last match, I fully expect 141 to be the last match of the night next year.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Jack, given the current formula of picking star wrestlers from Ohio to wrestle the last match, I fully expect 141 to be the last match of the night next year."

Wonder if Retherford stays at 141. Looks like he could. If not, then he gets Tsirtsts.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Jack, given the current formula of picking star wrestlers from Ohio to wrestle the last match, I fully expect 141 to be the last match of the night next year."

Wonder if Retherford stays at 141. Looks like he could. If not, then he gets Tsirtsts."

And Hunter!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

I think Heflin wrestled a smart match. Cox is a elite athlete! He is a 197 true freshman National Champion, that is a very rare feat. If Nick wrestled any other style with his skill set it might of been a bigger separation. The ref made a terrible call that late in the match for a National Championship. You should let the wrestlers decide the outcome of the match. You can't expect Heflin to open up against Cox that can lead to a moment of bad positioning for Cox to capitalize. Cox didn't blow me away with his offense either, he was aware of Nick 's counter capabilities. If the match was decided by the wrestlers I believe it would be a different outcome.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2014

I am not a fan of the stalling call but Heflin put the ref in the position of deciding the outcome. So that's what happened. Except that there was enough time left for Heflin to mount some offense....and he was too slow to react.

I get the tactics...but he needed to disguise them better.

I can't even begin to imagine how upset Heflin has been since his defeat. I believe he wanted to win a national title as bad as anyone that's ever wrestled and worked tirelessly towards this goal. I'm proud to be his fan and appreciate his great career. I think moving up two weights and having an amazing senior season is a great story for future wrestlers both at Ohio State and beyond.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18